Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I’m headed out tomorrow. Hopefully find a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your coming to Sylvan or Central Alberta bring something to hold down your equipment, big wind is coming, that means tents will be flying & the ice heaves will be growing, be careful.

D.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Nice work Zip!

Saturday can't get here fast enough. Need to get out!! Might attempt a Burb hunt.

Cheers,

Scott.

I know you'll find them.

D.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Dec 20th – My Last Day

Had an early appointment at Bank arranging wire transfers in US funds is a PITA! On the way home noticed 2 groups anchored in an area I planned to fish. It was mid-morning, so I decided to try “Calvin’s Spot” on RR23, we met Calvin about five or more years ago, he had lots of seniority (80’s), traveled light, sat on 5 gal pail with a canvas tarp draped over his head and stared down the hole with a stick for a rod and line wrapped around it, he out fished Scott & I, using a Yellow/Bronze Candy Cane W/W. I saved his spot in my GPS and wondered today if Calvin was still with us, hope he is because I had an awesome day, nothing went wrong, Whites were aggressive in 5 fow over weeds/sand mix, didn’t lose any in the hole and one even hooked itself while I was enjoying some tea & banana. My fishin buddy prohibits me from bringing a banana on his boat, something about bad luck, not today. I was fishing this area on Dec 12, the Whites were chasing dark colors on a bright sunny day, recall the pic’s of the White’s eating their own eggs, same area. Today is was a dull cloudy morning and the whites didn’t show much interest in dark brown or black, they really wanted the Candy Cane wraps & inhaled them deep, needed plyers to remove more than 1 hook. Got home just after 1:30 pm, was cleaning my fish, found the largest was stuffed with some interesting food/forage one of the caddis larva was still crawling away trying to escape. When they said Friday was going to see 60-90 km/h wind I decided to pack it up for the season, the last 10 days have been fun fishin Sylvan, Gull not so much.

Now it’s time to get organized/packed after X-Mass were driving to Phoenix then Palm Springs returning mid-April.

Trust you enjoyed the pic’s and my stories/adventure, wish everyone here all the success during the hard water season.

Cheers

David

Tea & Banana Time

4/5 on Y/O Candy Cane the Largest was on the Brown/Orange shown below.

A couple are my Largest Whites this Year.

Dr. David’s Autopsy – Interesting Buffet/Eats

Edit: Doesn't that make you want to get a snack!

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-20-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
If your coming to Sylvan or Central Alberta bring something to hold down your equipment, big wind is coming, that means tents will be flying & the ice heaves will be growing, be careful.

D.

I’ll be at sylvan, I’ve been down In Rimbey all week for work so I’ve been prepping for the wind lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 PM

All the best to ya this Xmas and have a great time in California this winter.Its always so exciting to read your posts everyday and wishing I could be out there with ya.We need more people like you on this forum.Your post seems to be the only one that gets positive feedback everytime and that speaks volume to the true sportsman that you are.If i ever catch one of those big Pigeon whites I will dedicate my post to you.Take care and be sure to visit us on here!
Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Safe travels!
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 PM

Thanks again. From a die hard whitefish nut working like a fool in the middle of nowhere , many hours away from my favorite lakes you certainly make my day with your excellent posts and pictures. At least I know they are still there to be had and that's all any guy that chases the whites needs. The rest is up to the guy with the wireworm in his hands to figure them out on any given day or hour for that matter. Have a great xmas and travel safe.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 AM

NIce post Zip! Those stomach contents are disgusting

You really killed it on Sylvan this opening season. Congrats. I wish you and the missus all the best for the holidays and the trip down south.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:46 AM

It was a pleasure meeting you and fishing with you Mr Dave. Hope you and Mrs Dave have a great winter season down south and hope to get in touch with you when you get back for a Rum and Coke! We will keep up the posts hopefully with fishing updates as we can.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:06 AM

tnx zip!!!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Default To Zip-in-Z

Thank you for your sharing. I learned a lot. Have good holidays!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Thank you all for the well wishes, and all the best to A/O Fishin Forum members over the Holiday Season.

Today my fishing gear got put away and all the Whitefish fillets got distributed to friends, no one ever refuses, everyone enjoys a nice fish dinner and since were gone for 3.5 months it can’t sit in the freezer.

Friend Mr. Skawtty, asked if my fillets were boneless, they are but I still tell people that I left one behind to see if they can find it, which is rare. Side Note: Grandville Island Winter Ale helps with the filleting.

The Mrs. says Whitefish is the next best tasting meal to Walleye, I’m sure Scott would say Burbs are better, but my wife won’t try eating one after she caught it here on Sylvan … ugly lizard fish!

The rods are put away & golf clubs are coming down south.

Cheers

David

Those last 5 produced a nice bunch of fillets.

Rib bones & Y bone removed = Boneless

Old 12-22-2018, 04:48 AM

Hope all goes well Zip! Those filets look amazing, my guess is you take off filet then remove the rib bones and pin bones? I know its windy out there today but I am going crazy being home and not fishing. Was going to just goto burnstik as wind here is minimal but I got to goto sylvan, you guys got me hooked on whites. Going to search out different spots at rr 23 and sunbreaker the next couple days. Got to figure out how to secure my new clam nanook from blowing away.

Scott R
Old 12-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Default Thank you

Dave , thank you for your post and willingness to share your knowledge ,experience and fishing tips with us. I enjoyed your post and pictures tremendously. They were ans are very educational. We will be missing you on ice but I am also glad you can work on your swing and tan as well
Have safe trip and Marry Christmas 🎄
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Since Zip is now locked, loaded and California Dreamin' I figured I best pick up the slack and keep this thread alive.

Made it out yesterday on Sylvan, fished in 3-5 FOW. Bty day crisp cool and not a breath of wind. Made it on the ice and setup by by 7:45 and had my first fish, a nice white on the ice inside the first minute!

It was still too dark to see down the hole so needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The whites kept coming quickly and they were aggressive. Had one shy of my limit by 9:30.
Even though I was fishing in shallow water they were fiesty so the last one took until 2pm to cap off my limit. Lost a total of 6 fish (5 at the hole and a few tanks!).

My "test patterns" worked well today particularly the brass double hook with white beads early morning. They were chasing it hard no hesitation just fly right in and smack!

After sun rise and as it got past 11am traffic slowed and I needed to use the smallest size Sebile Vibrato jig in emerald shiner pattern 8" below the orange and black grub to attract and excite them to bite.

A great day on the hardwater for sure.

Back to work today and then 2 days of fishing for this guy!

More to come...

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Nice work Bwacky! Some decent specimens there. Keep the reports coming. I hope to get out to Sylvan at some point but want to have some more fun up here and further North

Good luck on the next trip.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Cheers SNAP!

Tight lines and Merry Fishmas!

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Very Nice Bwack! and the day before it was slow for me. But that how it goes. Back at work for the week so wont be fishin till next wkend.

Till then ... Merry Fishmas to all as well!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Scott (Bwabbit) I was checking in for any updates, decided to amend the Thread Title .... congrat's on the Bty Whites, when you can catch a White while it's still dark, those prototype w/w's sure are productive patterns.

I'm pleased to see/read more members here are sharing positive comments and uploading pics to help others, I recently joined "Faceboob" (not a typo) Ab. Fishin Buddies & Fishin Addicts and can't believe some of the comments people post on those sites, makes you appreciate being part of the A/O community.

Wishing all Fishin Forum Members a very Merry X-Mass and all the success during the 2019 hard water season.

All the Best,

David

Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 AM

tnx bwack!!!! im hoping to put the shack on the ice on 26th!! curious if anyone is driving on yet? i think these few cold days ahead might be enough!!!
tnx

happy
Old 12-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Dec 24 … here you go Mr. Happy, went out to get a few things for the trip , took these our at Norglenwold, -8C, no wind, nice day to be out fishing.

D.

New Sign Wonder if Bylaw will Enforce this Winter.

Norglenwold Lake access road.

Lots of Shacks & Trucks out today.

Thats North - Sunbreaker is out that way.

Are you out here in the crowd ?

This is the Guy who posted a video on – “Meanwhile in Sylvan Lake “

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1626...2508524301138/

Doesn't that get you thinking about coming out to Sylvan soon.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM

Default No parking sign

No parking on SL, that applies to pick up trucks as wall is my guess

And thanks to Bwack for keeping this tread alive
Old 12-24-2018, 01:53 PM

thanks zip...u are the best...i feel confident ill have it on the ice on the 26th!!! ill post updates!!!!!
i have never seen a sign b4 saying no trailers or parking on sylvan or any lake for that matter..LOL.....

happy
Old 12-24-2018, 03:58 PM

GotYa ... the sigh says "No Parking - ON Sylvan Lane" that's the lake access road to get on the ice ....

Cheers

David

Edit: And The Beat Goes On .... was an old (1967) Sonny & Cher song I was about 12 years old catchin my limit of Whites & Walleye back in Manitoba.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-24-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip-in-z View Post
gotya ... The sigh says "no parking - on sylvan lane" that's the lake access road to get on the ice ....

Cheers

david

edit: And the beat goes on .... Was an old (1967) sonny & cher song i was about 12 years old catchin my limit of whites & walleye back in manitoba.

lol 😂
Old 12-24-2018, 10:53 PM

i dont read and rite good
Old 12-25-2018, 05:50 PM

Was out at Palm Bay yesterday and today for a bit and access onto the lake is rough. Fishing was about the same....very slow and never seen anything down the hole but did land a walleye on a DIY Jawjacker, so happy to see that it worked.
A few vehicles on the ice but I still don't trust it myself. Seen it anywhere from 6-10".
Then tried Birchcliff today and same thing very rough access and the ice was anywhere from 5-11" and didn't look like that great of ice. Same results for fishing DIY JJ caught a walleye, wife got a walleye and lost a bigger pike, never seen anything else.

Won't be driving around the lake yet till it gets colder and the ice firms up a lot more. To much variation for my liking...was even making noises in a few spots as we were walking on it.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:58 PM

now im scared again
Old 12-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
now im scared again
It's 10-12" at the spot I showed you no worries

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:15 PM

as usual ur the best....im gunna find a place 5 to 6 FOW....and park the shack!!!

happy!!!