Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 AM

Default would you support gas tax linked to price of oil?

So I don't work in the oil and gas sector, and I get paid milage. This has meant I'm putting around an extra $150 a month in my pocket. I have enjoyed it up to now, but I think I'd rather be paying more for gas, as our economy is broke.

Tax money could help our construction industry, help welfare payments (when people's EI runs out) and all the other stuff government needs money for.

What would you think about a gas tax linked to the price of oil?

So, if oil was under $50 a barrel say a 10 cent tax.

I don't think it is fair to say the Government should balance the budget, unless you are willing to identify where the savings should be made.
I think we are trying to save about six billion right now.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 AM

No it's a horrible idea... Most people need fuel, if it's cheap they save money when they fill the tank and keep the 0.10 in their pocket. By the time your 0.10 tax gets back out to the people it's now 0.05 as the channels and admin costs eat into it.

NO MORE TAXES!!! My god we pay more than enough already....
Old 02-27-2016, 07:33 AM

When our economy is bad, you want to pay more taxes to the gov't to help it along. It will happen regardless. Wait and see.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
So I don't work in the oil and gas sector, and I get paid milage. This has meant I'm putting around an extra $150 a month in my pocket. I have enjoyed it up to now, but I think I'd rather be paying more for gas, as our economy is broke.

Tax money could help our construction industry, help welfare payments (when people's EI runs out) and all the other stuff government needs money for.

So, if oil was under $50 a barrel say a 10 cent tax.

I don't think it is fair to say the Government should balance the budget, unless you are willing to identify where the savings should be made.
I think we are trying to save about six billion right now.

NO.

If you feel guilty of not paying enough tax,,,,,,,,write a check to Nutley every month.

You must be joking..........right?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-27-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
NO.

If you feel guilty of not paying enough tax,,,,,,,,write a check to Nutley every month.

You must be joking..........right?
Unfortunately lots of people aren't... Leave it in people's pockets to spend.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 AM

And besides $150 a month profit on a truck?

Dang you lose.

No way in heck would I use my truck for work for $150 profit per month.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 02-27-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:06 AM

What part of no more taxes eludes most folks?

I personally would like to see less taxes for or on everything. Cut and gut the in efficiencies and feel good programs, and lower my damned taxes!😡

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 AM

I noticed when gas price was down to 65c a litre, it took $40 to fill up my tank and I in turn took my family out for dinner with the saving of the other $40 that I would normally pay.

Lower gas prices will stimulate economy.

We need our government to look into the rack price monopoly done by big oil companies.

Oil prices are low, gas price at the pumps have to be low.
No more big oil tax on the people of Canada.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
When our economy is bad, you want to pay more taxes to the gov't to help it along. It will happen regardless. Wait and see.

The government is running a large deficit primarily due to the lack of royalties and taxes from the new standard in world oil prices. To help over come this shortfall, the whole province is going to have to diversify its industries and the government is going to have to tighten its belt too! The days of simply relying on oil revenues are gone for the foreseeable future. What we have is the new reality, a lot of folks just haven't or won't recognized it yet. They will by summer when severance packages and EI runs out....
Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
The government is running a large deficit primarily due to the lack of royalties and taxes from the new standard in world oil prices. To help over come this shortfall, the whole province is going to have to diversify its industries and the government is going to have to tighten its belt too! The days of simply relying on oil revenues are gone for the foreseeable future. What we have is the new reality, a lot of folks just haven't or won't recognized it yet. They will by summer when severance packages and EI runs out....
Diversify??...show me a company, any company that would be willing to start up a business in this province in the current situation
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Diversify??...show me a company, any company that would be willing to start up a business in this province in the current situation

Strange as it may sound, I agree with you, but we have to do something to kick start our economy and have some funds going into the provincial coffers. Maybe stimulate farming, forestry, ranching, pulp and paper and other like industries we already have? In the new reality it should be obvious we can no longer just rely one one industry or resource.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 AM

No!

Here is a novel idea, go spend the extra $150 you save per month. That in itself will help support our economy, direct to the vendor rather than through corrupt government management.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
This is the double edged sword we get to play around.

It's obvious that Mr. Churchill may have been very correct.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

The Canadian electorate has without a doubt shown exactly what happens when you cut off your nose to spite your face.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Strange as it may sound, I agree with you, but we have to do something to kick start our economy and have some funds going into the provincial coffers. Maybe stimulate farming, forestry, ranching, pulp and paper and other like industries we already have? In the new reality it should be obvious we can no longer just rely one one industry or resource.
...or maybe work with the above industries that are already here, instead of kicking them in the teeth and setting up road blocks continually?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
...or maybe work with the above industries that are already here, instead of kicking them in the teeth and setting up road blocks continually?

That was my point exactly. Give them a few breaks so they can grow, provide jobs to those that have and will loose jobs in the oil industry, pay corporate taxes and as originally stated get away from a one industry province. We all know what happens to one industry towns when the mine, lumber mill etc closes. Right now, Alberta is faced with the same situation, but on a provincial scale. It is non sustainable
Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That was my point exactly. Give them a few breaks so they can grow, provide jobs to those that have and will loose jobs in the oil industry, pay corporate taxes and as originally stated get away from a one industry province. We all know what happens to one industry towns when the mine, lumber mill etc closes. Right now, Alberta is faced with the same situation, but on a provincial scale. It is non sustainable
well then, what we need is to look at these industries as drivers of our economy and not a bottomless pit of revenue via taxes etc.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM

Yes, but they'll have to pay their share. The money needed, and we do need infrastructure etc, has to come from somewhere. But again, they shouldn't be overtaxed either. Maybe just slightly less than industries in say Ontario so the want to move here? It is complex, but something has to be done and sooner rather than later.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yes, but they'll have to pay their share. The money needed, and we do need infrastructure etc, has to come from somewhere. But again, they shouldn't be overtaxed either. Maybe just slightly less than industries in say Ontario so the want to move here? It is complex, but something has to be done and sooner rather than later.
Now you're back to my original point...not too many companies will want to move to a pace that already has a short history of implementing retroactive tax increases...or passing labor laws full of blank pages "to be discussed later"...sorry, it ain't gonna happen
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Now you're back to my original point...not too many companies will want to move to a pace that already has a short history of implementing retroactive tax increases...or passing labor laws full of blank pages "to be discussed later"...sorry, it ain't gonna happen

Well, back to my original point then, if we don't diversify, and soon, we're in for a world of hurt, the likes of which haven't been seen in this province since the 30's. There isn't going to be miracle happen any morning soon...
Old 02-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Well, back to my original point then, if we don't diversify, and soon, we're in for a world of hurt, the likes of which haven't been seen in this province since the 30's. There isn't going to be miracle happen any morning soon...
So, what would you suggest?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 AM

That my friend is why we have all the economists and strategists etc. The only thing I can suggest is people, including the government,wake up and realize the real problems. The huge provincial deficit isn't from over staffing of the provincial civil servants, although that's not helping, but the lack of provincial revenue form lack of funds from industry, especially the lack of revenue cause by the new oil prices. Mass layoffs in the government isn't going to solve any problem. You and I both know that, but a lot on here seem to think it will. It's not a party problem, it's a provincial problem that somehow has to be realistically dealt with.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Nobody is going to invest or begin operations in a hostile towards corporate entities type of environment. The anti corporate attitude of our current provincial government is killing any hope of any diversification!!

This is the double edged sword I mentioned earlier. If the government agenda is so anti corporation and so daft to realize that without fostering a climate of acceptance there won't be anyone daft enough to invest in such an environment.

You get more flies with sugar than you do vinegar!

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That my friend is why we have all the economists and strategists etc. The only thing I can suggest is people, including the government,wake up and realize the real problems. The huge provincial deficit isn't from over staffing of the provincial civil servants, although that's not helping, but the lack of provincial revenue form lack of funds from industry, especially the lack of revenue cause by the new oil prices. Mass layoffs in the government isn't going to solve any problem. You and I both know that, but a lot on here seem to think it will. It's not a party problem, it's a provincial problem that somehow has to be realistically dealt with.
Layoffs in the Gov't. sector won't help, you're right.....hiring freezes and 10-20% pay cuts would help and show some leadership, if that doesn't happen, come back and tell me again it's a provincial problem and not a party problem
Old 02-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Get over diversifying the economy. It isn't going to happen. Agriculture and whatever else does well in Alberta will continue to succeed. Nothing has prevented other industry from growing in the past.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Layoffs in the Gov't. sector won't help, you're right.....hiring freezes and 10-20% pay cuts would help and show some leadership, if that doesn't happen, come back and tell me again it's a provincial problem and not a party problem
+1 to that sentiment.If a huge cross section of Albertans voluntarily took a pay cut so as not to lose their jobs why should the public sector not do the same?

FTH
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

"What would you think about a gas tax linked to the price of oil?"

This makes as much sense as linking the commodity price of lumber to your property tax.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Gone Hunting

I think more taxes are great. I'd also like to see less accountability. more secrecy, more and bigger gov't. actually if the gov't hired everyone, that would be the best scenario.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
Get over diversifying the economy. It isn't going to happen. Agriculture and whatever else does well in Alberta will continue to succeed. Nothing has prevented other industry from growing in the past.

Well they could probably build a few refineries....so we don't get hit with higher gas and diesel prices every time one has a production burp. They could ship the finished products east and negate some of the reliance on foreign oil.....

They should be thinking longer term and ramping up educational facilities so unemployable oil/gas workers can be retrained for new jobs. As our population ages there will be more demand for nurses, management for seniors complexes...and always lots of work for medical technicians....
Old 02-27-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post

Well they already hit us pretty hard at the pumps....but first they are taking at least 25% of my income through income taxes [27,5K for 2015]...then they hit me [bc] with sales taxes and GST taxes...and carbon taxes...and raise my property taxes...and over charge for natural gas, car insurance and hydro so they can nip a few extra dollars from those corporations [hidden taxes]....plus they raise fees for renewing drivers licences, and add on environmental fees...and start charging dumping fees at the municipal dumps..

So what I am saying is they already have used some very creative ways to pick our pockets, so I would never support more taxes.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
We need our government to look into the rack price monopoly done by big oil companies.

Oil prices are low, gas price at the pumps have to be low.
No more big oil tax on the people of Canada.

Gasoline prices are dictated by a market. RBOB Gasoline futures. Go to marketwatch.com. Search the term 'RBOB' and select it from the drop down menu that pops up.

Oil prices are low, so is the cost of fuel. I swear it could be 25 cents a litre and some people would still cry about it. It's cheap right now. In fact, recently, the cost of a litre of gasoline was LESS in Edmonton, than it was in some U.S. states.

Quote:
We have lots of diversity in our economy. A simple google search reveals this. The problem is the AB government relies on royalties to spend. A diversified economy and out of control government spending are two seperate issues. By far, the most costly program the government runs is healthcare. It's an enormously costly system. 45% of the budget is directed to this one system. The NDP increased spending from a previous government that was already spending above their means.

The NDP are seriously irresponsible with money.

As far as a gas tax increase like OP said... It should be one of the things considered to be LOWERED to offset a carbon tax. The carbon tax should be revenue neutral. NDP can't grasp the concept. Maybe the Wildrose will if they form government.

All things considered, NDP went off the deep end when they formed government. (Hopefully) Good riddance in 2019.