Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM

Default Oilers -- what the

HeLL ... is wrong with this team ?
Come on really , 4 of the last 6 top picks and maybe can make it 5 outa 7 .. Excellent coach , good GM ... Is it time to trade big time ..Seen a news report today saying only McDavid may be safe .. Something needs to be done , after all ..

Last edited by Rio56; 02-24-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 PM

And watch them go on to win scoring titles and playoff games someplace else. Never changes, does it?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Team needs a major blow up that's for sure
Old 02-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Is it possible that Edm has been drafting the best overall player and not the most needed position for the team ....
Old 02-24-2016, 06:29 PM

Team needs a proper captain. Compete factor can be adjusted in the dressing room. A 30 yr old Bobby Clarke as captain and 6 Oilers walk out with a black eye after the game. Just saying.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Is it possible for the Oilers to get the first overall pic again this year to be the only team in NHL history to do so beyond disgusting, team has no heart
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Banned

And this is why I stopped watching hockey years ago - and I don't miss it.

Why should these players have any heart? They get paid their millions whether they play well or not. Try benching some of these little babies for 10 games without pay and see what changes.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
HeLL ... is wrong with this team ?
Come on really , 4 of the last 6 top picks and maybe can make it 5 outa 7 .. Excellent coach , good GM ... Is it time to trade big time ..Seen a news report today saying only McDavid may be safe .. Something needs to be done , after all ..
Good GM? I would say they have had horrible GM's and that is one of the biggest reasons they are in the position they have been for years. Peter is a good GM but hasn't had enough time to make a difference yet.

Idiots running the show have been icing the same small soft team with no defensive abilities for years now... How no one in that organization has been smart enough to realize the real issues with the team is lack of team effort and defensive play I do not understand...

Hopefully they draft another soft skilled forward again this year so I as a non Edmonton fan can keep on laughing at them...
Old 02-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Why should these players have any heart? They get paid their millions whether they play well or not. Try benching some of these little babies for 10 games without pay and see what changes.
Yep, I'd love to see it. But it wouldn't work. they don't want to play here. Small town comparatively, Canadian $, limited...how does one say this..."T&A", not gonna be treated like rock stars the way they are in other places. Spoiled little wimps.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:57 PM

I dunno, I've kind of come to enjoy the consistency I'm seeing with the team. First overall picks year in, year out, mediocre play with dashes of brilliance, interspersed with gutless chicken poop play, with stellar goal tending, mixed with complete garbage goaltending, nonexistent defence, crappy management and front office....basically just a team with huge talent on paper, huge expectations, almost a decade of 'rebuilding', and at the end of the day? Exciting last place hockey. Thankful that the salary cap gives these young players a chance to go and play for a real NHL team somewhere else where their talent can actually be utilized. Look at Dubnyk.....doing great now that he has escaped. Oilers, looking to break the Leafs record for most years between Stanley Cup wins.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Edmonton trades the rights of Philip Larsen to Vancouver for a 5th round pick in 2017. Larsen is in the KHL. #TradeCentre

Bold move
Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 PM

They need to let those ponies run. The heck with playing defence, they don't play defence anyways. Yakupov is a hidden gem, he's gonna light it up once the reins are loosened.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
They need to let those ponies run. The heck with playing defence, they don't play defence anyways. Yakupov is a hidden gem, he's gonna light it up once the reins are loosened.
If the Coiler's had ANY shred of decent defence men, they could possibly turn the forwards loose and probably give the goaltenders a chance. The forwards have to focus so much on defence and getting back because the D just sucks. Without good defence men..NO goaltender stands a chance..Not even Gerry Cheevers
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 PM

The Oil simply can't use all of the guys they have to their potential. What I mean by that is this: If you have a really solid defensive/aggressive team you can carry a guy like Eberlie or Yakupov and just use them for their hands. They are very good in small parts of the game. But the Oil have a whole bunch of guys like that. They can't play defence, can't forcheck, can't cycle the puck down low. So they get occaisional rushes. So Eberlie or yakopov would definitely be more valuable and produce more with another team where they can be the one-trick-ponies they are.

One Johnny Hockey on Calgary is wonderful. A whole team of him would be a disaster.

Start moving some players Edmonton. But I agree it doesn't have to be now, unless there is some stupid good offer coming forward. Finish last, get Austen Mathews... and trade him.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM

I thought it was refreshing to see McLellan put down the team last night, at least some parts of the team. Frankly that is the sort of coach they need. One that says you guys need to smarten up enough of this. This team has had crap coaches before but they have hardly been the driving force behind this horrid team.

As for management if they want to be taken seriously, more than just Katz's dinner buddies, they will need to wheel and deal a bunch of players. The team now is not working. My guess/hope is the trades involve Shultz, Purcell, Eberle, Yak, Nikitin, and Nilsson (not likely but let's throw that piece in there too).
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 PM

It's a team built on individual contributors, Where are the team players. That's a dumb management concept.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Edmonton trades the rights of Philip Larsen to Vancouver for a 5th round pick in 2017. Larsen is in the KHL. #TradeCentre

Bold move
. no kidding what a joke .. but , I'm making a prediction that the big times , trades, are coming

Last edited by Rio56; 02-24-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

They need defence men. Top 1 and defence is horribly lacking. Justin Schultz should be embarrassed by his play his ice time his effort and his salary. He should be given a bus ticket to Kelowna or wherever.

Darnell should be playing in the AHL. Not his fault he just needs time.

Sekera is an ok 3-4 defence pairing.

Klefbaum is missed. He is our best D but lacks experience.

Faynes best years are behind him.

Davidsons a good D man but needs more time to be a great one

Lander can join Schultz on the bus ride

Yakapov is a great person but a lousy hockey player. He needs a fresh start Eakins ruined this guy.

Chiralli is going to have to pay for a number 1 D man. RNH Plus plus.

If they're picking top 3 I'd try and trade the pick to Arizona for Ekman-Larsen

Ufa' I'd make a serious bid for Lucich or however it's spelt.

If you could make a deal for Harmanic with the Islanders I'd let Eberle go maybe a multi player deal a second rounder and try to get another winger. But Harmanic has to be part of the deal!

Bring LB up from the minors to push Talbot in goal.

My top forward line would be Kassian McDavid Hall. Draisitle wound centre my second line

Lucich would get the Captains role. He'd put some fear into a few of the boys who thought taking a night or two off was ok.

But I have no clue about the hockey business.

One more thing Mactavish wound be selling popcorn in the concourse!!

BW
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
My guess/hope is the trades involve Shultz, Purcell, Eberle, Yak, Nikitin, and Nilsson (not likely but let's throw that piece in there too).
I'm wondering if anyone would really be interested in Schultz or yak anymore. Purcell is decent but UFA at end of year so you aren't going to get much. I think to get anything really useful back the Oil are going to have to start offering up some real meat... Eberlie, Nugent Hopkins.... maybe even... gasp... Hall (though I'd sure rather not) I think the Nuge is too valuable in a trade to be kept around as the THIRD line center. Clearly both McDavid and Draisaitl are ahead of him.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Oilers need to make trading that first round pick a priority. Enough with the new kids. Yes Mathews is likely a very good player. McDavid will be that incrediplayer for many many years to come. That pick though will help in getting a real defenceman.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Default My Thoughts Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The Oil simply can't use all of the guys they have to their potential. What I mean by that is this: If you have a really solid defensive/aggressive team you can carry a guy like Eberlie or Yakupov and just use them for their hands. They are very good in small parts of the game. But the Oil have a whole bunch of guys like that. They can't play defence, can't forcheck, can't cycle the puck down low. So they get occaisional rushes. So Eberlie or yakopov would definitely be more valuable and produce more with another team where they can be the one-trick-ponies they are.

One Johnny Hockey on Calgary is wonderful. A whole team of him would be a disaster.

Start moving some players Edmonton. But I agree it doesn't have to be now, unless there is some stupid good offer coming forward. Finish last, get Austen Mathews... and trade him.
I couldn't of said it better myself
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone would really be interested in Schultz or yak anymore. Purcell is decent but UFA at end of year so you aren't going to get much. I think to get anything really useful back the Oil are going to have to start offering up some real meat... Eberlie, Nugent Hopkins.... maybe even... gasp... Hall (though I'd sure rather not) I think the Nuge is too valuable in a trade to be kept around as the THIRD line center. Clearly both McDavid and Draisaitl are ahead of him.

Scouts are at the games watching. Some teams still think they can turn that kid around. Let them have him. The only reason Shultz is getting the minutes he is right now is because of those scouts at the games. It's a last ditch effort to show him off, despite his lack of being able to show off. If he is not dealt at or before the deadline I think the Oilers will cut their losses and send him to the minors and hope he is claimed on waivers.

Yak is also needing to play for the scouts. I think a team would want him, for a cheap trade.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM

Start benching anyone.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
.... Finish last, get Austen Mathews... and trade him.
Oh dear Jesus, if the Oil get first pick again, and pick up Mathews, I'm going to take an ice pick to an innocent puppy.....How many first overall picks should one franchise be allowed to ruin? If they would trade him (to Flames ) fine, but they seem intent on ruining good talent year after year. Give McJesus another couple years playing in that jersey, and watch him wither away and be mediocre until he gets traded to a professional team and really puts up numbers. Eberle, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Yakapov....all underperforming. Darnell Nurse, great kid. He's going to get ruined. Hell, anyone playing there is learning to be a good loser. It becomes a habit of mediocrity.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-24-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
They need defence men. Top 1 and defence is horribly lacking. Justin Schultz should be embarrassed by his play his ice time his effort and his salary. He should be given a bus ticket to Kelowna or wherever.

Darnell should be playing in the AHL. Not his fault he just needs time.

Sekera is an ok 3-4 defence pairing.

Klefbaum is missed. He is our best D but lacks experience.

Faynes best years are behind him.

Davidsons a good D man but needs more time to be a great one

Lander can join Schultz on the bus ride

Yakapov is a great person but a lousy hockey player. He needs a fresh start Eakins ruined this guy.

Chiralli is going to have to pay for a number 1 D man. RNH Plus plus.

If they're picking top 3 I'd try and trade the pick to Arizona for Ekman-Larsen

Ufa' I'd make a serious bid for Lucich or however it's spelt.

If you could make a deal for Harmanic with the Islanders I'd let Eberle go maybe a multi player deal a second rounder and try to get another winger. But Harmanic has to be part of the deal!

Bring LB up from the minors to push Talbot in goal.

My top forward line would be Kassian McDavid Hall. Draisitle wound centre my second line

Lucich would get the Captains role. He'd put some fear into a few of the boys who thought taking a night or two off was ok.

But I have no clue about the hockey business.

One more thing Mactavish wound be selling popcorn in the concourse!!

BW
very interesting and solid ... you should be on the Oiler payroll or at least TSN..
Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
very interesting and solid ... you should be on the Oiler payroll or at least TSN..
Got to give you credit for reading all the way to the end of that 'insight'.....

Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Banned

Default wimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

agree 100% ,if any other profession had soooo many off days they would be fired!

In all honesty if you had a choice to play in LA or Florida vs Edm wouldn't you purposely play like sht? Edm is a stepping stone to bigger and better!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Oh dear Jesus, if the Oil get first pick again, and pick up Mathews, I'm going to take an ice pick to an innocent puppy.....How many first overall picks should one franchise be allowed to ruin? If they would trade him (to Flames ) fine, but they seem intent on ruining good talent year after year. Give McJesus another couple years playing in that jersey, and watch him wither away and be mediocre until he gets traded to a professional team and really puts up numbers. Eberle, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, Yakapov....all underperforming. Darnell Nurse, great kid. He's going to get ruined. Hell, anyone playing there is learning to be a good loser. It becomes a habit of mediocrity.
Though to be fair, only Hall and The Nuge resulted from Edmonton being the worst team in the league. 2010-2011 is the last season thy finished dead last. They just got lucky in the draws for Yakupov and McDavid.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Got to give you credit for reading all the way to the end of that 'insight'.....
thanks big guy ..are you saying I don't always ? ( you could be right ) no answer required....

Last edited by Rio56; 02-24-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
Oilers need to make trading that first round pick a priority. Enough with the new kids. Yes Mathews is likely a very good player. McDavid will be that incrediplayer for many many years to come. That pick though will help in getting a real defenceman.
Agree 100%. We need someone that is established and can produce.

Get rid of a few currently on the roster, free up some cap space, prove to the players needing to come in that you are committed to changing things around and be willing to spend some money on free agency. Not unlike what they did for their 2006 cup run. Players want to see the proof in the pudding otherwise they won't want to come here. Need to start with solid and consistent goaltending.

This isn't a rebuild, this is a reorganization. Keep cleaning things up and they will come. Get rid of the old boys club, check. New GM, check. Established head coach, check. Secure McDavid, check.

If not, McDavid won't re-sign after his 3 years are done.