Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM

It was an AWESOME production. Very well done. The fatal attack by Wolves was fascinating. Not a fan of Wolves.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Wolves play a big part in a wolverines life. There were actually two study wolverines killed by wolves.

The collared data showed "clusters" areas where a wolverine stayed put for a while. Researchers track their way into these clusters sites to find out why the wolverine stayed so long. Often they are hunting hares, beavers, or grouse, but once in a while they can see that the wolverine was treed by a pack of wolves. They stay up the tree until the pack gets bored and moves on. By the way the wolves won't eat a wolverine carcass.

On my own mountain trapline where the un-collared wolverine footage came from, wolverines avoid lower elevations where wolves are more common.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 AM

It is a great documentary, I will watch it again. I just didn't like the part where Suzuki didn't want to admit that animals can thrive where the industry fracture the landscape. It's quite obvious that many species do and some actually depend on it, whitetail deer being one of them.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

I watched it last night. Excellent! Fascinating animal! I hope they pay you well to lift that trap lid to dart those bad boys!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the follow up ! Great info .
Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Wolverines of the Northern forest

or

the Southern City(lethbridge)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...hood-1.3116372

Missed the show, will have to watch for it another time.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Great documentary!! Very well done and thank you!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Good production and fairly informative.

Brian,
Wondering if many collared wolverines are being caught by trappers?

And because there were so many collared I wonder if there will be a follow up production planned for a year or two ahead to present collar data. I'm sure the study didn't just end.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Saw it last night, Fantastic production. I had the pleasure to see one while stealth hunting Wind Valley years ago. I scared him and he scared me but I'll never forget that encounter.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:12 PM

I saw the show last night and really enjoyed it. I always thought that wolverines didn't have any predators, so was suprised to see that wolves kill them. Hats off to Andrew for his patience, it must have been quite a thrill when he finally got some footage!
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 PM

RB - Only one collared wolverine was caught by a trapper in the study area. But you must know a lot about wolverines if it was only fairly informative for you.. lol.

When we presented the findings to the North America's leading wolverine researchers at a cross border wolverine conference hosted by the ACA they were blown away. This is brand new knowledge for the most part.

Apparently the documentary did very well viewership wise, and we've had over 625,000 Facebook hits on the wolverine kits. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Great work Brian, keep it up!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
RB - Only one collared wolverine was caught by a trapper in the study area. But you must know a lot about wolverines if it was only fairly informative for you.. lol.

When we presented the findings to the North America's leading wolverine researchers at a cross border wolverine conference hosted by the ACA they were blown away. This is brand new knowledge for the most part.

Apparently the documentary did very well viewership wise, and we've had over 625,000 Facebook hits on the wolverine kits. Thanks for all your comments.
OK.. the documentary was very informative. I do know wolverines have some pretty interesting personalities. Beautiful animals that deserve the attention the study gave them. Hats off to all involved.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Brian,
Well done, that was outstanding footage and the dedication is very evident, thank you, the whole family enjoyed it a lot.
When the researchers were trapping the wolverines to collar them, did they end up catching the same ones repeatedly or did they wise up after being caught?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 PM

I'm just fooling around RB, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Nympher most of the collared wolverines will be caught several times. Some even become what were called trap bums. they'd go in and eat the beaver knowing that they'd be let out without any real consequence. A meal in a safe bunker, what more could a gulo ask. But some traps had to be shut down as the researchers didn't want to overly influence their natural behaviours.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Banned

Brian, after working closely with David Suzuki did you have some interesting discussions on trapping hunting etc.? What kind of guy is he really face to face and what was your overall impression of him?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Brian, after working closely with David Suzuki did you have some interesting discussions on trapping hunting etc.? What kind of guy is he really face to face and what was your overall impression of him?
Don't expect an answer to this one Martin. I made comment in an earlier post that Suzy and the ATA are like oil and water....needless to say..the post was deleted. If a spade is called a spade...you're outa here
Old 02-27-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Don't expect an answer to this one Martin. I made comment in an earlier post that Suzy and the ATA are like oil and water....needless to say..the post was deleted. If a spade is called a spade...you're outa here
People like Rob and Brian are the NDP supporting type its Robs forum he can do whatever he likes I guess, not a lot of respect for anyone who would work with a hypocrite like Suzuki.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:29 PM

I just want to say thanks to Brian and Mark Boyce's research team. Alberta is pretty lucky to have such dedicated individuals. A lot of progress towards wildlife management and hunting conservation has resulted because of your work!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:37 PM

I understand those who don't like Suzuki. But why would you assume i would try and change his opinion? Why would that be important to me?

You guys sound kind of insecure to me. I wanted to do a documentary on wolverines. Feel free to spend a quarter million to make your own documentary.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

I've always enjoyed David's shows from what ive read here he's not pro Alberta and I think he wants to take our guns away too. Brilliant man none the less
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I understand those who don't like Suzuki. But why would you assume i would try and change his opinion? Why would that be important to me?

You guys sound kind of insecure to me. I wanted to do a documentary on wolverines. Feel free to spend a quarter million to make your own documentary.
......nah not worth it.

Last edited by martinnordegg; 02-28-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 AM

Just watched it on-line. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 AM

if you want to each tonight its on the CBC news network channel 15 or channel 227 HD on Calgary shaw at 6:00pm
I haven't seen it but have the PVR set

fyi
Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I saw the show last night and really enjoyed it. I always thought that wolverines didn't have any predators, so was suprised to see that wolves kill them. Hats off to Andrew for his patience, it must have been quite a thrill when he finally got some footage!
An friend has a trapline in BC, he has been complaining about wolves killing wolverines on his trapline for decades.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:

Nice

Good luck

Old 02-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Default World Class And Groundbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
People like Rob and Brian are the NDP supporting type its Robs forum he can do whatever he likes I guess, not a lot of respect for anyone who would work with a hypocrite like Suzuki.

Collaboration and knowledge for the greater good in understanding and moving forward toward more intelligent and effective wildlife management.

There is superior wisdom in casting aside differences (agreeing to disagree) and building bridges and knowledge base. The Compass Media/Suzuki Nature Of Things alliance allows this documentary to be spread to a wider more diverse audience from all backgrounds and might not have had the viewership nor seen the light of day had it been funded privately.

Make no mistake folks, the findings in this research and the visual authenticity it validates is world class, groundbreaking and inspirational. The perfect combination of timeless persistent survivalist woods smarts, technology,science and that pesky C word again-collaboration.

Creeky….

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 02-28-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
[/B][/U]

Collaboration and knowledge for the greater good in understanding and moving forward toward more intelligent and effective wildlife management.

There is superior wisdom in casting aside differences (agreeing to disagree) and building bridges and knowledge base. The Compass Media/Suzuki Nature Of Things alliance allows this documentary to be spread to a wider more diverse audience from all backgrounds and might not have had the viewership nor seen the light of day had it been funded privately.

Make no mistake folks, the findings in this research and the visual authenticity it validates is world class, groundbreaking and inspirational. The perfect combination of timeless persistent survivalist woods smarts, technology,science and that pesky C word again-collaboration.

Creeky….
Give me a break its about making money.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 PM

Wow. That was incredible.

Huge thumbs up to everyone involved. Love to see those kinds of resources going into research here in Ab.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Give me a break its about making money.

damn... i sure hope they're making money, can't imagine they got a grant, serious money to put something of that calibre together-it's in all likelihood self funded as in shot on speculation.

you come off as being jealous

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology