Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2015, 05:55 PM

Default deisel engine help

Hilux 1kzte engine. (Imported from japan). Starts no problem but runs extremely rough. On startup it puffs out black smoke for a few seconds then it billows out white smoke for the next 20 min then it clears up a bit. When i say billow i mean its hard to see in front of you 10 ft after a little bit.Does It in warm or cold weather although it's a bit worse in the cold. Here are some pictures of what comes out the pipe, now that there's snow on the ground it's easy to see. (Does this every startup unless it was just running in the last hour). Also my fuel mileage is 12mpg highway and that is literally driving as CAREFUL as I can. Everyone who has the same vehicle that ive talked to on other forums gets 24-26 highway. Also it's turboed when I looked inside the turbo there was a black sludge slightly moist. Oil and carbon? And no there's no coolant in the oil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151125_161827.jpg (36.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 20151125_161831.jpg (41.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 12-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Kinda thinking injectors. May want to pull them and have them bench tested?

I could be a long ways off...good luck.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:03 PM

couple of different things. White smoke in a diesel is usually from lack of heat which means low compression. That would also account for the rough running.

One other thing is burning coolant can also cause white smoke. Bad head gasket?

I a not really familiar with those engines. Do they have an egr system on them? Could also be a leaking ege cooler.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Kinda thinking injectors. May want to pull them and have them bench tested?

I could be a long ways off...good luck.
x 2 , sounds like you got a leaker .
Old 12-06-2015, 07:19 PM

check your turbo make sure it spins over easily sounds like the turbocharger is putting oil in the intake manifold.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:57 PM

It has an egr system, don't how to test for leak though. Although it's not leaking coolant in oil would this cause bad fuel mileage? Just curious. And the pictures are of oil being spit out of the exhaust pipe in case it was hard to tell for anyone. One other thing is the line that connects the wastegate to the intake on the turbo housing has oil coming from the joints not a significant amount but it's enough that it doesn't seem normal (could have that mixed up, all I know for sure is the line connects to the wastegate to regulate boost pressure). And the turbo spools up fine no hesitating
Old 12-06-2015, 08:59 PM

First thing to do is get the injectors tested. If they pass then the injection pump.
Check your turbo for end play side to side and back and forth.

It sounds like a injector to me also.

White smoke can be to much fuel, bad timing, cold Temps, coolant leak/head gasket and the list goes on

I suggest check the injectors. Then the pump for output and then timing if it's mechanicle.

Good. Luck keep us posted
Old 12-06-2015, 09:01 PM

I just noticed your from Sylvan lake. Check out Central Diesel in North Red Deer. Art is very knowledgeable in injector pumps.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
First thing to do is get the injectors tested. If they pass then the injection pump.
Check your turbo for end play side to side and back and forth.

It sounds like a injector to me also.

White smoke can be to much fuel, bad timing, cold Temps, coolant leak/head gasket and the list goes on

I suggest check the injectors. Then the pump for output and then timing if it's mechanicle.

Good. Luck keep us posted
What do you mean by checking the turbo for play? And I really really hope it's not an injection pump they are insanely expensive for these engines. Everything else is pretty cheap though
Old 12-06-2015, 09:14 PM

I'm leaning away from injectors for now simply because they go to 300k all the time on these engines and I have 182 on it. And injectors doesn't explain oil coming out of the tailpipe and oil and black sludge coming from lines and inside the turbo.

So it sounds to me like compression but I could be way off. It's really high on these engines 21:2:1. Higher than a lot of other diesels. so I can't simply test myself. The whole thing shakes like crazy when I come to a stop it's hard to hear yourself think. And it's progressively gotten much worse. Engine mounts are all in good condition as well
Old 12-06-2015, 10:03 PM

turbo, egr valve, injector. To me it sounds like oil from the turbo is going into the exhaust manifold and an injector is no good. Timing can be out as well causing all sorts of problems.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
turbo, egr valve, injector. To me it sounds like oil from the turbo is going into the exhaust manifold and an injector is no good. Timing can be out as well causing all sorts of problems.
Yup.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Yup.
You should be able to notice a loss of coolant or oil. This will be your biggest indicator.

In terms of compression. Blow by from the crank case vent will be the biggest indicator.

If you suspect your burning coolant. You should smell he sweetness amongst the white smoke. And you can pull the egr valve and inspect for coolant.

If an injector (typically will burn black smoke when over fueling) and will smell like raw diesel.

If a timing issue you can get fuel white smoke. Unlike black fuel smoke (partially burnt fuel) this will be unburnt due to being injected at the wrong time.

Need more clues to get you figured out.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
You should be able to notice a loss of coolant or oil. This will be your biggest indicator.

In terms of compression. Blow by from the crank case vent will be the biggest indicator.

If you suspect your burning coolant. You should smell he sweetness amongst the white smoke. And you can pull the egr valve and inspect for coolant.

If an injector (typically will burn black smoke when over fueling) and will smell like raw diesel.

If a timing issue you can get fuel white smoke. Unlike black fuel smoke (partially burnt fuel) this will be unburnt due to being injected at the wrong time.

Need more clues to get you figured out.
I also didn't really look at the pictures.

My guess based on the oil your finding if that your pushing oil from your turbo to your exhaust. Failed turbo would be my most likely assumption.

However it doesn't really explain a terrible idle. And you should be seeing a pretty good loss in engine oil on the stick.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 PM

At work we had a pump that just coughed white smoke all day. Filled it up with 320L of oil and after 10 seconds it lost about 60L. The turbo was blown. Check your air filters for oil coming back through the intake.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
At work we had a pump that just coughed white smoke all day. Filled it up with 320L of oil and after 10 seconds it lost about 60L. The turbo was blown. Check your air filters for oil coming back through the intake.
You can try that. But most likely you will find oil down stream of the turbine (boost side) and downstream of the compressor wheel (to the pipe side).

I've seen it go the other way. But is quite rare. It follows the air flow.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:42 PM

If the engine shakes as bad as you say and is noisy, there is something very wrong. Suspect an over fueling injector which may have burn a hole through a piston. That may cause your crankcase pressure to go up forcing oily mist to go through the vent in the intake side of the turbo. The fact you said it's getting progressively worse does not sound good.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
If the engine shakes as bad as you say and is noisy, there is something very wrong. Suspect an over fueling injector which may have burn a hole through a piston. That may cause your crankcase pressure to go up forcing oily mist to go through the vent in the intake side of the turbo. The fact you said it's getting progressively worse does not sound good.
Yes. I wonder about a dropped valve. Maybe put a wee little hole in a piston. Again. Crankcase blowby should indicate.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
You can try that. But most likely you will find oil down stream of the turbine (boost side) and downstream of the compressor wheel (to the pipe side).

I've seen it go the other way. But is quite rare. It follows the air flow.
This pump was puking oil out of the air filter. Like litres and litres. It was everywhere.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
This pump was puking oil out of the air filter. Like litres and litres. It was everywhere.
I am not arguing. Just stating why the op is most likely to find and where to look. It can happen. But is not likely
Old 12-06-2015, 11:51 PM

I have a Toyota diesel, though not the same one you have. I've owned BJ40 series Toyotas continually since 1989.

My current is a 3B in an 83 BJ42. It has been turboed (Auzzie kit), with a short straight pipe and has over 300K on it.

I get very small amounts of black onto the snow at idle. I'm talking pin head sized spots and very few. The idle is not smooth like modern diesel trucks, none of the Toyotas are that are over 15 years old. Most often, when I've had hard starting and white smoke issues with any of mine it has been bad glow plugs causing it or a bad glow plug control.

It does sound like your idle is unusually rough. I take it it was smoother when you first got the truck? The only time I had this happen it was a bad injector.

The 3B is a direct injection Isuzu motor 3.4l 4cyl. If I recall correctly yours is a 3.0l 4cyl. However whereas the 3B is direct mechanical injection yours is electronically controlled indirect injection. So a fuelling issue could be due to a fault in the electronic control module or simply a bad injector. Toyota found the indirect electronic engine to be problematic and later went back to direct mechanical injection is most markets (Europe, Australia, Africa) for their trucks with the 1KD-FTV motor with a common fuel rail.

If the truck is new to you and came from sea level, it could be the altitude compensation of the electronic control module is not working. Remember, we're pretty high up here.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 AM

When I first got it, it ran "perfect" or so I thought. The guy I got it off in Calgary must have done something to it just to make it good enough to sell because you wouldn't of hinted at the slightest problem. He insisted over and over that it was in tip top condition. Until I drove it home and started it the next day.... Have ran a crap ton of injector cleaner through it as well. Nothing got better there, and in 11 k that I've put on it since it's completely gone nuts. Wish I could have a word with the guy

Once it's been running for a while 99% if the smoke goes away so that says fuel not being burnt until it's hot enough. If there's oil getting into the intake from the turbo wouldnt it be just a seal that needs replacing? Where would the oil be coming from if it's getting into the intake other than from the turbo? Getting 300 to a tank right now it's pretty rough, would like to figure out the problem myself rather than the mechanic that way I can put that money towards parts to fix this.

Last edited by Submoa_hunter; 12-07-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:48 AM

How long does it take to "get hot enough" for the smoke to clear up? Have you changed the fuel filter or drained it if it has a drainable filter element? Have you tried it with a Cetane improver to see if that makes a difference?

The older diesels are NOT designed to run on the current ultra low sulphur fuel. A quality diesel additive designed for use with older engines and new fuel may help you a bit. I know it makes a difference with the 3B's.

He likely drove it and got it real hot before you saw it.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post
How long does it take to "get hot enough" for the smoke to clear up? Have you changed the fuel filter or drained it if it has a drainable filter element? Have you tried it with a Cetane improver to see if that makes a difference?

The older diesels are NOT designed to run on the current ultra low sulphur fuel. A quality diesel additive designed for use with older engines and new fuel may help you a bit. I know it makes a difference with the 3B's.
Not sure what cetane is. And if it's idling after starting it up it takes 20 min. If I start driving within 2-3min. Changed the oil after 5 k and the previous after 5k, also ran this stuff thats supposed to clean out anything where the oil lubricates in the engine. You just pour a bit where the oil goes, run for 30min and change oil. new oil filter along with new air filter and new fuel filter. Problem persists

And thats my guess as to what he did as well too, maybe added that stuff that adds compression to the cylinders as well. Can't remember the name of the stuff of the top my head
Old 12-07-2015, 03:02 AM

if you remove the inlet on your turbo is it dirty/ oily?

To check the turbo for play, grab the fins and see if there is any movement,

I think you have a injector issue.

If you had a blown cylinder you would be pushing oil out your crank case vent real bad.

The more you drive it, the more chance of damage you are risking

I don't recommend you add any additives to your fuel or oil until you get your issue figured out.

It sounds to me like a over fueling issue. Not 100% sure. but more likely
Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 AM

from the manual
white smoke.
pre heat control circuit.
injector nozzle
fuel filter
engine ecu
injection pump
crank shaft position sensor
throttle body
water temp sensor.

here is a link to the manual.
http://etoymag.free.fr/manuels2/1KZ-TE.pdf
Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
if you remove the inlet on your turbo is it dirty/ oily?

To check the turbo for play, grab the fins and see if there is any movement,

I think you have a injector issue.

If you had a blown cylinder you would be pushing oil out your crank case vent real bad.

The more you drive it, the more chance of damage you are risking

I don't recommend you add any additives to your fuel or oil until you get your issue figured out.

It sounds to me like a over fueling issue. Not 100% sure. but more likely
I will have a look at it again this afternoon maybe. Anything else I should look for while I'm working on it that's not getting too deep mechanically? And yes I haven't noticed any changes on the dipstick, if there is its very little and have never had to add oil between changes. Thanks for finding the manual, it will help
Old 12-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Any other advice out there?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Those engines suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Simple to run and simple to fix.
Not much goes wrong with them. But they do have issues.

I suggest you get ahold of Art at Central Diesel Injection in Red Deer.

A lot of good advice has been given here. Other then someone taking a look at it for you, there is not much more to do.

Good Luck.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Is it a 3.0 Turbo D4D?