Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
9 pages....the OP has 6 posts total all on the first page....hmmm interesting!

LC
Exactly

.....I wonder who posted in this thread and has more than one account?

.....yes I quoted myself . This thread deserves it....

Lc
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Banned

Are you pulling an all day'er, expmler.....lol! By now you should have it all sorted out and be working on a solution to world peace.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you pulling an all day'er, expmler.....lol! By now you should have it all sorted out and be working on a solution to world peace.
I tried to negotiate a treaty in post #152, nobody will come to the table.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly

.....I wonder who posted in this thread and has more than one account?

.....yes I quoted myself . This thread deserves it....

Lc
I wonder too! What I'm wondering more though is if he's going to allow himself access to hunt his own land.

If he does allow himself to hunt his own land, will he charge himself an access fee?

......Quite a dilemma.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 PM

Bahaha....
Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Nine pages because someone read Neil Waugh's column in Alberta Outdoorsman. Neil has never tried to stir the pot and turn hunters against landowners.Oh yeah and this expmlr guy has gone from owning 13 quarters to paying taxes on 5200 ha. Trolls all over the place
funny there was no retort to this.....or explanation.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Funny how you are all for private enterprise until you can't get free access to private land.

Yup...capitalism and the free market is good until access becomes your problem and not the other guys.
Keep reading... I said fill your boots boys.

For my part I have no access problems and doubt that I ever will.

The post above simply points out that the dream of Canadian producers determining the price of their crop ends one of two ways.

Either with tax payers supplimenting that or with producers being unable to sell because they are not competative.

The later is most likely since we have all those nice free trade agreements in place courtessy of the Conservatives...that preclude such protectionism.

I'm surprised that it didn't occur to you guys.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
funny there was no retort to this.....or explanation.
So Neil is Pheasantboy?

And 13 quarter sections is 841 hectares, and 18 miles of fence surrounds 5200hectares not 52 miles. So the total fencing for 841 hectares is 7.2 miles and the going rate for barbed wire for this amount of land is $4032 double high from the existing fence. plus $10,000 to extend height in cheapest method to 8'6". So for sake of argument $20,000 to keep wildlife out, which there are subsidies & grants for.

Interesting.

It seems we've been buying cukes from the wrong colony.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
If it is my land, I draw up a contract and you can be assured that I will lay out the terms, not you.

If you don't like the terms, fine. Find a better deal, you are not forced to hunt my land.

Free market at work.

Thats right and a highly competative one as well.

I'll sit back and wait for you and your neighbours to compete while actively lobbying to kill all subsidies related to wildlife damage since you and your friends now have a business solution to your problem.

When you are up to your belt buckle in gophers and over-run with deer again... it'll be a hunters market and I'm sure that we will all be able to find the price point and the conditions that we both find agreeable.
Its not like there are only a handful of farms out there... there are thousands of em and at some point some of those farmers will no doubt see an opportunity to benefit at their neighbours expense to the point that they can start buying up land when their smaller neighbours start to fold.

Yup....if I was a big land holder and could tolerate a marginal loss for a bit...I'd watch for those deals.
Maybe just allow hunting on portions of my land leaving the animals that border the neghbours place.... unmolested or better yet designed to drive them there.

Those that do not find private land to hunt on will do what they do now but they will also will from surplus animals migrating to those Crown areas.

In the mean time I am sure that hunt farms and caged hunts will blossom shortly since paid access is about the only barrier now and while that might be a tad more pricey... it will be a sure thing and lets face it.... the royal treatment.

Of course all of that will be a fast track to the death of the family farm and almost guarantee that privatley owned operations here hold such a small portion of the market that they cease to matter globally but thats OK as long as you get what you want for the immediate future.

You should really think about rubbing the dollar signs out of your eyes and considering that business is a reciprocal arrangement.... both parties will be looking towards what is good for them and what that means is that unlike now... you will be forced to forfeit some of the perogative you have now because nobody is going to give you money for nothing.

It will be a money in exchange for assurances that you are not contracted to agree to now. If you believe otherwise I'm afraid that you are going to be very disappointed.

Its odd I think that farmers have survived so much over the history of this province yet now...suddenly wildlife is breaking their back.
Odd.... how a well run farm could manage through the worst of times and do just fine without that extra access income but suddenly cannot.

Oh well what do I know?

I'm sure that you folks have it all figured out and that the big money guys behind this are acting in everyones best interest. There is no way that any of them would advocate such a grand and fundimental change if there was any chance at all that some of their neighbours might end up under the bus.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
So Neil is Pheasantboy?

And 13 quarter sections is 841 hectares, and 18 miles of fence surrounds 5200hectares not 52 miles. So the total fencing for 841 hectares is 7.2 miles and the going rate for barbed wire for this amount of land is $4032 double high from the existing fence. plus $10,000 to extend height in cheapest method to 8'6". So for sake of argument $20,000 to keep wildlife out, which there are subsidies & grants for.

Interesting.

SSSSSHHHH!

I'm hunting trolls.......
Old 03-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Banned

I just did a Google and ACA covers farmer losses from wildlife for Alberta and this year the feds have included Alberta to kick in for these losses (it used to be only B.C, Saskatchewan and Manitoba). So losses are covered. Still, the beef industry has bigger sway over Provincial/Federal government than outdoorsmen, so I guess it's a wait and see situation.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nine pages because someone read Neil Waugh's column in Alberta Outdoorsman. Neil has never tried to stir the pot and turn hunters against landowners.Oh yeah and this expmlr guy has gone from owning 13 quarters to paying taxes on 5200 ha. Trolls all over the place
You never heard of ranchers that have crown or private leases adjoining owned land eh?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
You never heard of ranchers that have crown or private leases adjoining owned land eh?
Yeah but we were talking about fencing it, are you allowed to fence crown land and what's tax on the lease?

Also wildlife damage is covered by fishing licences too, I was unaware that our fish cause such a great loss to farmers? Can anyone explain this to me? I did use a bee pattern with little success, are fish stealing bee's and other bugs critical to the operation of a cattle ranch?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 AM

such an attack on hunters paying for access to compensate for wildlife losses. don't you realize you can charge for access for other activities on your land to make up for the loss.

wildlife viewing, farm tours, farm fitness program(people pay for boot camps, why not farm labour. market it as real muscles from real work. could even have other farmers pay you to run programs on their farms once you run out of hard labor on your land) and even sledders, all of which could potentially reduce your losses, and all legal.

outside the box, it's a good place to think.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
The possibility is there but so is the possibility that we have a troll amongst us.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
So Neil is Pheasantboy?

Interesting.

I did make a mistake in my math converting acres to hectares. 841 is correct. My 13 quarters are not all in one block, each quarter is 1\2 mile x 1\2 mile. Each quarter has 2 miles of fence, 26 miles in total. So according to you it would cost me just under $80,000 to keep wildlife out. Actually it would cost me more by the time I repaid the loan plus interest.
If wildlife causes $5000.00\year loss it would take 16 years to break even.

I thought this was a discussion forum, but it seems when someone brings a different view to the discussion, that is not acceptable.

Like I said in a previous post, I put up a proposal asked for input and got none. So it's obvious you guys are happy with your situation, so stay dug in.

One good thing that has come out of this for me is I know now what Alberta hunters really think of landowners. Something I will keep in mind this fall.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I did make a mistake in my math converting acres to hectares. 841 is correct. My 13 quarters are not all in one block, each quarter is 1\2 mile x 1\2 mile. Each quarter has 2 miles of fence, 26 miles in total. So according to you it would cost me just under $80,000 to keep wildlife out. Actually it would cost me more by the time I repaid the loan plus interest.

I thought this was a discussion forum, but it seems when someone brings a different view to the discussion, that is not acceptable.

Like I said in a previous post, I put up a proposal asked for input and got none. So it's obvious you guys are happy with your situation, so stay dug in.

One good thing that has come out of this for me is I know now what Alberta hunters really think of landowners. Something I will keep in mind this fall.
Not all hunters in Alberta have a negative view of landowners and many landowners are also hunters.
Cat
Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Old 03-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I think some of the attitudes towards landowners on here are reflective of some of the attitudes towards hunters by the landowners on here.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
such an attack on hunters paying for access to compensate for wildlife losses. don't you realize you can charge for access for other activities on your land to make up for the loss.

wildlife viewing, farm tours, farm fitness program(people pay for boot camps, why not farm labour. market it as real muscles from real work. could even have other farmers pay you to run programs on their farms once you run out of hard labor on your land) and even sledders, all of which could potentially reduce your losses, and all legal.

outside the box, it's a good place to think.
So pay for access is OK for everyone else but not hunters. Your selfish is starting to show.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 AM

Isn't it interesting that pheasant boy joined in 2010 and has exactly 6 posts all stirring up a landowner/hunter fight.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not all hunters in Alberta have a negative view of landowners and many landowners are also hunters.
Cat
Correct and not all beef producers agree with this proposal!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I think some of the attitudes towards landowners on here are reflective of some of the attitudes towards hunters by the landowners on here.
Some of the landowners have good reason for their attitudes.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah but we were talking about fencing it, are you allowed to fence crown land and what's tax on the lease?

Also wildlife damage is covered by fishing licences too, I was unaware that our fish cause such a great loss to farmers? Can anyone explain this to me? I did use a bee pattern with little success, are fish stealing bee's and other bugs critical to the operation of a cattle ranch?
Now you are grasping, as far as fishing license revenue I am sure most producer and people knew nothing about this, I am a cattle producer and I have never received a cheque entitled fishing license revenue!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Isn't it interesting that pheasant boy joined in 2010 and has exactly 6 posts all stirring up a landowner/hunter fight.
Exactly....

LC
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Bingo
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
So pay for access is OK for everyone else but not hunters. Your selfish is starting to show.
It's because the law in Alberta states you cannot. What does the law state in your home Province of Saskatchewan?

LC
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Keep reading... I said fill your boots boys.

For my part I have no access problems and doubt that I ever will.

The post above simply points out that the dream of Canadian producers determining the price of their crop ends one of two ways.

Either with tax payers supplimenting that or with producers being unable to sell because they are not competative.

The later is most likely since we have all those nice free trade agreements in place courtessy of the Conservatives...that preclude such protectionism.

I'm surprised that it didn't occur to you guys.
You forget supply and demand. If Canadian farmers hold their products out of the market that causes a shortage in supply making the price rise.

Just like when they get a frost in Florida and they lose their orange crop, price of orange juice goes up.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I am sure they do. and I am not disputing that.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's because the law in Alberta states you cannot. What does the law state in your home Province of Saskatchewan?

LC
It says the same. So are you in favor of farmers getting the law changed.
Closed Thread