Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Looks like someone built that road was probably like the sides prior loosen up thats what they built graders for and 4X4s
Let the fun begin
x2 Great thread AB.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 PM

It's alright to rape and pillage the earth to get every ounce of crude oil out of the ground but tuff one quad in a muskeg hole and now we are treated like we killed someone.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 PM

hey snap where were those pics taken, we should get out in my jeep an go for a cruise, i still have yet to encounter some serious mud with my new tires
Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let it dry up.! Hahaha i find that almost funny Muskeg doesnt dry up.. ask the boys up at fort mac that are trying to drain it somehow so they can build houses on it..Either you wait till winter or you arent crossing it unless you got a 4x4s... Muskeg is built of a root systems that will actually heal itself and rebuild but thats another story..

What now your going to give me a lesson on how a skeg works ??? tell you what if you got a few hundred years to spare then you can give me the skinny other wise stay on the pave !!! probably the safest place for you anyways

Last edited by Walleyes; 03-07-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

"Ode to a wet land allright" funny how we all enjoyed it as it was written as long as it doesn't involve your back door..

Funny thing is if I come across your dumb ***** sittin in that hole you will stay there..
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM

Walleyes i wouldnt spend a few hundred seconds explaining anything to you.!
I was simply pointing out what is the diffrence between driving anywhere offroad.. weather it be a lease road or a cutline or a hard packed trail..But i guess we should all stick to the pavement... I hear there lots of good hunting in the shoulders of hwy 2.. Give me break.! Your not the man that makes any laws so until then i will drive we i can and am not breaking any laws..

I bet your the same guy that would give me a hard time about me letting my diesel warm up in the winter too.. Guess where i would tell you to go.....

Go Stand on a muskeg until spring so i can drive by and splash you.!!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 AM

Good attitude Snapshot. That is why the new rules are coming out about access. Pretty soon we all will be hunting on HWY 2.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Snapshot I ask you and all the other quadders, 4x4 truck guys that partake of this destructive activity if they would go out on their landscaped front yard, pull some rev's and rip a few donuts. Then what right do you have to go out and rip up the muskeag.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
It's alright to rape and pillage the earth to get every ounce of crude oil out of the ground but tuff one quad in a muskeg hole and now we are treated like we killed someone.
So true, a quick trip from GP to Hinton takes you through what used to be the most beautiful place on God's Green Earth and now due to the ravages of gas, oil and forestry I'm sure nuclear war is prettier. But that is beside the fact, I'm saddened by the terrible wave of posters here who have to pass judgement on everything someone else does. Whether it is moralizing, on how many deer you shoot or what kind of bow you use or if you shoot over 200 yards, God forbid you have a scope on that unethically black/brown/camo too new/old (take your choice) centerfire/rimfire/muzzleloader or if you should shoot porcupine/coyotes/rabbits/gophers or how to kill a fish.
I love all the friggen conspiracy theories where the big bad world is out to get us hunters. I got news for some of you people, we don't need enemies we've got ourselves. It makes me sad to see where our sport is going and the type of people who figure they should have the right to tell me what to do.
Now we have people lecturing about a quad stuck in the muskeg! Any of you who make your living in oil and gas don't have a leg to stand on with your hypocritical posts on this thread. I don't care what level of environmental controls are followed do you actually believe that the earth is better off with one more pipeline, road or cutline? Do really believe that the forest wasn't complete with out the destruction and development? Or is that habitat destruction OK because you make money from it? Would a "stuck quad" tax
paid to you make it alright, would it Walleyes?
I must confess to getting very tired of all the bickering on here, it reminds me so much of watching the idiots running our country and I find that very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
A great comment Sparky but it will be over looked because some of these people would have to look in the mirror at themselves and that doesn't fit into their self righteous puritanical view they have of themselves.
Good Luck here Rob this is a great media with a world of potential but I think it has lost its way.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM

Hey Rich, I don't think any of us are bitchin about some quad stuck in a mudhole, and by saying this, I may be off my rocker, but I would assume that most of this discussion is based solely on a photo that looks like someone purposely rootin and tootin in a muskeg, when it looks like in the photo, that there was suitable room to avoid this certain mudhole. But that just may be me, but it just may also be all the Robert Baker's or the Brian Horejsi's out there that are narrow minded enough to think, that we are all doing this out there, and paint us all with a nice coat of that negative grey. Then in turn, convince the folks in government, that quads and jeeps are the anti-christ. I don't think it is this board that has lost its way......
I for one enjoy the fact that I can load up my quad and ride into the high country, and do I encounter mudholes like these that have been posted? Absolutely, but I go through once, if I have to, but if I can find a reasonable detour, I will do that also, but I also post my photos with a bit of discression, because we all know, in the hands of the wrong person, they can do more damage then what the quad did.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM

Brady, well said. It is not the quads stuck in a hole in the muskeg, or the 4x4 truck stuck on the old right of way or seismic line, it is the first pic in Snap Shots post that irks me to no end. We are expressing our opinion on it and that is all.

Last edited by JohninAB; 03-07-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Brady, well said. It is not the quads stuck in a hole in the muskeg, or the 4x4 truck stuck on the old right of way or seismic line, it is the first pic in Snap Shots post that irks me to no end. We are expressing our opinion on it and that is all.
X2 Big time

209, please explain to me how that picture of the jeep ripping and tearing in the muskeg has anything to do with hunting or hunters turning against ourselves. This comparison of *******es out ripping holes in the bog to the oil patch is ridiculous. Are the off road associations putting up huge sums of money for environmental bonds? Are they going back and doing reclamation after the "fun" is over? And before you jump on me, I'm not talking about the guy stuck on the lease road trying to get to his bear bait. I've had my truck stuck in the mud too. I'm talking about the idiots out ripping the hell out of everything because they think it's fun. Total BS. If you think it's OK for them to tear up the muskeg, then how about a trout stream. Is that OK? Who are we to judge, right? We all got to stick together, right?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post

I must confess to getting very tired of all the bickering on here, it reminds me so much of watching the idiots running our country and I find that very sad.

I am really starting to agree...Our love of the outdoors requires us to get "into" the outdoors....can we not share some photo's and just assume for a second it is being done in a responsible appropriate matter?????

By the way Rich, I seen a great picture of you, your truck, and your 8 wheeler...on the 8wheeler website...willing to share on here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
I for one enjoy the fact that I can load up my quad and ride into the high country, and do I encounter mudholes like these that have been posted? Absolutely, but I go through once, if I have to, but if I can find a reasonable detour, I will do that also, but I also post my photos with a bit of discression, because we all know, in the hands of the wrong person, they can do more damage then what the quad did.
I see your point, but this is a outdoorsmen's board...many of the photos on here "in the wrong hands" could do some damage.....our beautiful province offers some massive challenges...vertical mountains, seemlesly never ending skeg, winter access roads, rivers, creeks, etc...and I think it is possible to get back into these areas, all be it tough at times, but with some respect and appreciation for the "environment"....

Should we stop posting pictures that could be used for evil by others whom not know the truth behind the picture???? I hope it doesn't come to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Fair enough....but it would be great if we could also get back to the "sharing of a few experiences" with some good pics like others already posted.....I am guessing at this point there are a few guys not wanting to post in fear of the wrath of the ABoutdoorsmen.....
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
X2 Big time

209, please explain to me how that picture of the jeep ripping and tearing in the muskeg has anything to do with hunting or hunters turning against ourselves. This comparison of *******es out ripping holes in the bog to the oil patch is ridiculous. Are the off road associations putting up huge sums of money for environmental bonds? Are they going back and doing reclamation after the "fun" is over? And before you jump on me, I'm not talking about the guy stuck on the lease road trying to get to his bear bait. I've had my truck stuck in the mud too. I'm talking about the idiots out ripping the hell out of everything because they think it's fun. Total BS. If you think it's OK for them to tear up the muskeg, then how about a trout stream. Is that OK? Who are we to judge, right? We all got to stick together, right?
Blah, blah, blah,,, you of course know for a fact that he isn't on private land right?... Right? Thought so.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Trying to find more pics...unfortunately most are packed away from a recent move.....

Here's a couple taken in August while heading into a new moose area to scout a camp location for end of September....

These were taken South West of Ft Mckay...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Brady, you hit the nail on the head and I see what point Walleyes is trying to make. It's behaviour like this that shuts down our ATV trails such as the case in Waiperous.

Some may think this is cool but if it's done purposely, it's environmental destruction. Too what level, doesn't matter. Do two wrongs make a right, whether it be gas, oil, forestry or a quad purposely tearing up muskeg it's still destruction on different levels.

Talk about people lecturing and bickering on here, I'd say if the shoe fits, wear it. Opinions are like *****holes, everyones' got one whether you like it or not.
Quote:
Funny thing is if I come across your dumb ***** sittin in that hole you will stay there..
x2

Quote:
By the way Rich, I seen a great picture of you, your truck, and your 8 wheeler...on the 8wheeler website...willing to share on here?
Hey AB,, have you got a link to that website?

Last edited by Tuc; 03-07-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah,,, you of course know for a fact that he isn't on private land right?... Right? Thought so.
Very articulate response for someone who writes for a living.
So are you saying this BS never takes place on crown land? Ever been to Waiperous? If you are going to defend this crap you shouldn't be calling yourself an outdoorsman.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Brady, you hit the nail on the head and I see what point Walleyes is trying to make. It's behaviour like this that shuts down our ATV trails such as the case in Waiperous.

Some may think this is cool but if it's done purposely, it's environmental destruction. Too what level, doesn't matter. Do two wrongs make a right, whether it be gas, oil, forestry or a quad purposely tearing up muskeg it's still destruction on different levels.

Talk about people lecturing and bickering on here, I'd say if the shoe fits, wear it. Opinions are like *****holes, every ones' got one whether you like it or not.
x2
OK I can see some here being too stupid to understand how dumb this is but, one last try.
This all started with a picture of a jeep in the mud, all the know it all assumed he was on public land and an eco terrorist, now it has morphed into TUC land (separate world - pink sky) where we can condone gas and oil but not four wheelers because two wrongs don't make a right. I never said either was right just in case anyone checks.
People we still don't know if the picture that set off this stampede of stupidity was taken on public land! Perhaps before you draw and quarter the fellow it would be good to find out.
And I thought Jeeps in mud were OK around here or is that only for some?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
340wtby

Quote:

A great comment Sparky but it will be over looked because some of these people would have to look in the mirror at themselves and that doesn't fit into their self righteous puritanical view they have of themselves.
I find it quite funny that you post about being sick of the bickering and yet you constantly take pot shots at people everytime you post.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Ahhh Gheesh, here comes the name calling, I must have hit a vital chord.

Anyrate, back to the original thread, do you think it's a good idea to post pictures of such. It's probably fuel for the enviromentalist. We have enough restriction on our public lands. OMO,
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Shrubs

Entertaining thread in a ridiculous sort of way. Nice pics.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
I got quads....and in most cases where the roads get really bad, that's where they get unloaded....but we go WAY back sometimes....and there are always a few damned up culverts, washed out shoulders, or greasy sloped curves to get by.....

I have some decent quad pictures of getting into camp, and animals back to camp....but I am scared to post

I hear ya Waxy, I had a little sarcasm in mind when I typed that....but I do have a 4X4, with mud tires, a winch, and a tow strap...so once in a while it can be enjoyable to put it into use.....

Just to clear a couple things up though....the point of this thread was to share some pictures of guys and some of the expeditions they have encountered while hunting.....

I agree that we shouldn't be out tearing up fragile ground just to get our roofs dirty...."tread lightly" is bang on!!! but there are absolutely "ok" and reasonable times to put your vehicle in 4 wheel drive, get a few trophies on the hood and roof, and maybe pull out the winch...without crossing the line of "irresponsibility"...

sheep, canuck44...NICE PICS, keep em coming guys.....

lets try to have more posts with pics than posts with-out....(though some good points have been mentioned)

OK BOYS!!
x2
Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM

I can't afford a quad (use one for work though) so I access on foot. Always.

I'd still have some really good "getting there and getting home" pics but I never want to take a picture (too busy swearing)
Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Hmmm walleyes do you know what this person looks like or next time you see a jeep sitting in a hole your just gonna let him sit there because some guy you dont know with a vehicle that looks similar had a dissagreement with you on the internet. Why dont you post what you drive and plate numbers along with any atv's that you have so that said person can return the favor when he sees your ass sunk in a similar situation. Oh but wait you dont get stuck because you only advocate driving on pavement. Its called karma if someones stuck pull em out then maybe next time your stuck you might get the same courtesy.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM

I've tried my best to keep this thread about sharing some pics...but I think it's course is set....

Oh well, I still hope a few guys have a picture (or two) and story to share.....and hopefully will....

Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM

might not be too much quading or camping anywere this summer if gas hit a $1.50 a litre like they say
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM

I think you all need to chill out, he is obviously on a trail and isn't wrecking anything that wasn't already. And walleyes im sick and tired of your know it all attidude and constant condesending remarks. I happen to hunt alot with Snap Shot and if you have close to the same hunting achievements at your age that he does at his younger age i would be suprised. (p.s. achievement is not only kills)

Brink

I might be able to find some pics but why post them with all these downers.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
KyleM

I for one dont see the need to rip up anything....go play in the mud like a 16 year old who just got his licence, I dont care!

I will continue to spray my baits with WD-40

Continue to purchase Toyota products

Will kill my fish right after I catch (only if im eating them, which is rare)

I think I may start buying 2 ply toilet paper though.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm ready to call it quits on this site if you "guys" don't stop acting like a bunch of old women.

Actually that's an insult to old women

sorry old women.

I want to post some pics of being accidently stuck, but can't seem to find any where I'm crying or you can't see my face
Old 03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Thread Closed.
Closed Thread