Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Pics of getting there and getting home...

So Spring is on the way....which means bear hunting.....
That got me to thinking about how much fun, and what an experience it can be just getting into our great outdoors....especially in the spring and early fall....
I have personally experienced a few times were getting in and out of camp have been a real challenge....I started going through my photo files, and see that I haven't done a very good job of archiving those experiences....

BUT, with that being said, I hope some of you have.....so lets see those pics of trips into the wilderness....

I wanna see the goop, soup, mud, sludge, and especially those "buried up the rocker panel" pics.....

Like I said, unfortunately I don't have many....I have a few with the 35mm at home I can scan later...but here is a couple for my contribution...

By the way....this has nothing to do with "Predator, Dick284, and those crazy Drayton Valley Back Alleys "

Me giving a bud a little help.....

Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
sheephunter

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-07-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Something tells me Ken would have had some good pics for this thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Those brought back memories LOL. Then I got older and wiser. Seems without all that kind of stuff that I did in my younger days, Iam more successful in my hunting as well these days Now I sit back and laugh at those doing that stuff. OH OK I do help someone when their stuck LOL

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM

Sheep,

I'm betting that winch got used more than once on that stretch....Looks like fun.....
Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 PM

YOu guys need quads. When we get close to something like that we dump the quads and blast in from there. Generally you can travel quicker and those mud holes don't pose a problem.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
Sheep,

I'm betting that winch got used more than once on that stretch....Looks like fun.....
We sure have different ideas of what fun is LOL.

I admit there was a time when that would have been my definition of fun too, no need to even be on a hunting trip, all I needed was a 4X4 and mud. Then I started having to pay all the associated bills.

Nowadays, that looks a lot more like work to me than anything else.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Here is a couple using the jeep.. I got some from mydodges over the years i gotta find.. I always want to know if i can make it..! The Hard Way.!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0404.jpg (120.0 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 105_0576.jpg (137.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Here is a couple using the jeep.. I got some from mydodges over the years i gotta find.. I always want to know if i can make it..! The Hard Way.!!
This will probably start a fight, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Picture #1 is EXACTLY the reason that our OHV access is being taken away from us at a record pace. It is precisely that kind of destruction of wetlands that is nothing short of rocket fuel on the fire for the environmentalists and anti-OHV crowd.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 02:31 PM

waxy you may getting flamed a bit soon...but i tend to agree....to a point. i really think that there are times/places for all types of outdoor activities...but that not all places should be available to all types of outdoor activities. i understand that as an avid mt. biker..there may be some trails that are far too popular with hikes and horses to make them enjoyable or safe for me and others...i can accept that. it is when people can't and break the rules that areas get taken away from legitimate users and gives us a bad name.

i understand that sometimes in the bush you just don't know what you are going to encounter...and s--t happens. i also understand that going out and going "mudding" can be a lot of fun.....but i feel that mudding etc. should be done in designated areas....just my opinion...never said it was right. and i am sure others feel that activities should be allowed wherever they please..and that is their right to think so.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Waxy,

You are bang on!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
This will probably start a fight, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Picture #1 is EXACTLY the reason that our OHV access is being taken away from us at a record pace. It is precisely that kind of destruction of wetlands that is nothing short of rocket fuel on the fire for the environmentalists and anti-OHV crowd.

Waxy
Got to agree with you 100% on that one waxy,, just the reason I think most people should stay in their little suburbs at home...

How many times have we read on here about how peed everyone is about just such a thing happening when they are out trying to enjoy the weekend with their family.. I don't know just makes me shake my head.. Yup happens every year,, then later on in the season when those of us that use our brain and wait for it to dry up before we head out can't make it through the holes because the heros got er all chewed up.. Happens around home every year,, no wonder I shutter when they start rolling in from the city every spring and fall.. Then when you turn around these are the same people that blame the oil companies and logging companies for building roads.. Stay off the damn things when their wet and we won't have erosion issues and eye sours for years...

Hey get out of the truck get on your quad and ride in like humans PLEASE,, you are chewing up my cutlines and trails,, you may only use them for a week I use them all year,, THX..

Sorry my rant for the week...

Last edited by Walleyes; 03-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
waxy you may getting flamed a bit soon...but i tend to agree....to a point. i really think that there are times/places for all types of outdoor activities...but that not all places should be available to all types of outdoor activities. i understand that as an avid mt. biker..there may be some trails that are far too popular with hikes and horses to make them enjoyable or safe for me and others...i can accept that. it is when people can't and break the rules that areas get taken away from legitimate users and gives us a bad name.

i understand that sometimes in the bush you just don't know what you are going to encounter...and s--t happens. i also understand that going out and going "mudding" can be a lot of fun.....but i feel that mudding etc. should be done in designated areas....just my opinion...never said it was right. and i am sure others feel that activities should be allowed wherever they please..and that is their right to think so.
Some of us live in the bush,, it may be out of the way for you but its my back door !!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Default lets take a break

Looks like someone built that road was probably like the sides prior loosen up thats what they built graders for and 4X4s
Let the fun begin
Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Look there's a difference between getting caught back in some place when it rains and having to get out or trying to get into your trap line or camp and then there's deliberately going out and tearing up the country side or just being to lazy to get on the quads and ride a couple extra miles... Just remember your weekend out in the wilderness may be someone elses back yard...
Old 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Gotta say I'm with Walleyes on this one. I definately cringed when I saw that picture of the jeep in the muskeg. The title of the thread is getting there and getting home. I'm betting the person in that jeep wasn't trying to get anywhere except through that mudhole just to turn around and do it again. This is fine at the mudbog competition at the county fair, not out in the bush.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

JohninAB,

Sorry for hijacking your thread, it wasn't my intent. I just get really PO'd when I see stuff like that.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM

As an outdoors user, and someone who tries to be resposible while out in the bush, I would tend to agree with the others on Snap Shot's pic #1. Pictures like that expose an unwelcome light over all users who are trying to tread lightly.

For those bleeding hearts out there though, not all of us are showing this attitude towards the outdoors that we are all trying to enjoy and keep open to all.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Waxy,

Did not hijack my thread. I agree with you 100%!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM

In my opinion there is a time and place for everything. If you are on public property use your head and have some consideration. This goes for both people on quads and people in 4X4's. One that really ticked me off was when my brother and I were fishing our favorite headwaters on the eastern slopes when this guy on a quad came along and decided to start fording the creek back and forth 1/2 a dozen times about 100' upstream of us. Not only does this show a total lack of consideration for the two of us who were fishing there but also for the habitat as there was not even a hint of a crossing.

I do enjoy a good mudhole or tight trail as much as the next guy. The following are of my truck stuck so I couldn't open the doors and the 12k winch would barely give me any forward progress, it took a long time to get out backwards. The truck had 33's and a lift on it and it was bottomed. This was on private property with the land owner and no a quad could not make it through there, we have tried several other machines since and you can barely walk through it to get something to pull you out.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM

The first pic was posted as a trip about bear hunting. It doesn't appear to me that those guys are out tearing up the "muskeg" nor tearing up wetlands. They are stuck on a road! It doesn't appear to be a clear cut logging road either. If those guys waited around for that hole to dry up they would be going fall grouse hunting instead of spring bear hunting.

I have no respect for the clowns that tear things up like those in Waiporous every year but I don't see that in this picture. In fact it seems like they are practicing good conservation by staying on the established road. Erosion is most negative when people try making their own trails when they try to avoid the soggy roads.

It's not the ideal circumstances but these guys don't seem to be blatant to me.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:42 PM

i would agree about pic #1....if fact they tried to go through the middle rather than widen the area by trying to circumvent the mud hole.

a lot of good words about right time, right place and responsibility. good to hear.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Clash, M70
It was snap shot's pic#1 we were talking about, not the OP's
Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Oops, got it thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:57 PM

ahh my mistake..sorry
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM

I was on a lease road with my son, we had just stopped fishing at Christmas Creek and it was raining pretty good, hence the stopping fishing. We were driving slow on the road just sight seeing enjoying our day when a guy on a quad drives right up in front on me and starts giving it to me about tearing up the road and I should use my head, blah blah blah. I looked back and I had made tracks about 1 inch deep on the road. Not wanting to escalate the situation and showing the boy about being the bigger man, I thanked the fellow for pointing this out to me and tried to turn around right there, because of course he was blocking the road with his quad. Well I made a huge mess out of the muddy sides of the road turning. The rocky road was o.k. the big ruts I left on the sides really set this guy off. I had had enough of this clown and told him this is a public road and it was his fault for me doing the damage I did. I understood his point and tried to accommodate but it didn't work out that I helped at all. Good way to tarnish an otherwise great day. There is taking things too far. Sorry for the length and the rant.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
YOu guys need quads. When we get close to something like that we dump the quads and blast in from there. Generally you can travel quicker and those mud holes don't pose a problem.
I got quads....and in most cases where the roads get really bad, that's where they get unloaded....but we go WAY back sometimes....and there are always a few damned up culverts, washed out shoulders, or greasy sloped curves to get by.....

I have some decent quad pictures of getting into camp, and animals back to camp....but I am scared to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
We sure have different ideas of what fun is LOL.

I admit there was a time when that would have been my definition of fun too, no need to even be on a hunting trip, all I needed was a 4X4 and mud. Then I started having to pay all the associated bills.

Nowadays, that looks a lot more like work to me than anything else.

Waxy
I hear ya Waxy, I had a little sarcasm in mind when I typed that....but I do have a 4X4, with mud tires, a winch, and a tow strap...so once in a while it can be enjoyable to put it into use.....

Just to clear a couple things up though....the point of this thread was to share some pictures of guys and some of the expeditions they have encountered while hunting.....

I agree that we shouldn't be out tearing up fragile ground just to get our roofs dirty...."tread lightly" is bang on!!! but there are absolutely "ok" and reasonable times to put your vehicle in 4 wheel drive, get a few trophies on the hood and roof, and maybe pull out the winch...without crossing the line of "irresponsibility"...

sheep, canuck44...NICE PICS, keep em coming guys.....

lets try to have more posts with pics than posts with-out....(though some good points have been mentioned)

OK BOYS!!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM

What is the diffrence between a road or a muskeg hole..? You tear up a road they have to haul clay then dirt and then gravel well where is all of this bi product coming from to fill in the ruts you left.. At who's cost is going to be to fix the ruts you left on the road not yours or mine but we dont think about that do we as common sense seems fine to us at the moment.. I have seen the ruts on the roads wash out on a serious rain storm was out complete ditches and make things look alot worse than a muskeg hole.. Picture #2 is that exact same thing you should the crevase at the bottom of the hill..

Let it dry up.! Hahaha i find that almost funny Muskeg doesnt dry up.. ask the boys up at fort mac that are trying to drain it somehow so they can build houses on it..Either you wait till winter or you arent crossing it unless you got a 4x4s... Muskeg is built of a root systems that will actually heal itself and rebuild but thats another story.. Now we are going to hear all the sob stories about how someone ruined one of there days afield.. How a quad intreputed them calling elk or a horse took a dump and smelled up my cutline for hunting..Give it a break we have heard it all before. I accept all forms of outdoor activities... Horseback, quads, Mt.bikes, Jeeps,hikers..I do all that i have mentioned.. and everyone of those things impacts our enviroment in some forrm or fashion..

Last edited by Snap Shot; 03-06-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM

that is true snapshot..but that doesn't mean that the activities should be done without discretion and common sense.......not trying to say you weren't using common sense....just that we ALL need to use it
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM

pictures, pictures, pictures......
Closed Thread