Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Furnace repair question

I have a mid efficient Tempstar Furnace. It's not firing up and there's an error code...the green led light is flashing three times per interval. I thought I'd check here before calling a furnace company. Maybe it's something I can repair myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM

I assume there is an electric ignitor and no pilot. Does the ignitor start trying to light the pilot and then keep quitting? If that's the case, pull the flame rod (that little 3" x 1/8" or so rod that would normally be in the flame. Easy access from the front and usually one screw. Give it a good wipe with a dollar bill (any denomination obviously) and replace. If that ain't it, then don't know without knowing what the error code means.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:13 PM

There will be a chart on the back of the door telling you what the codes mean. Take a look and report back
Old 04-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Furnace

That sounds like the "Flame sensor".
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 PM

I had this happen on my Armstrong furnace, the 3 flashes can mean pressure switch open, I had it checked and it turned out to be a short in the gas valve
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM

Yes, 3 flashes means air pressure switch issue. I will try to locate this switch and have a look at it.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
Yes, 3 flashes means air pressure switch issue. I will try to locate this switch and have a look at it.
if that what you code indicates, it might simply be the sir pressure switch doing exactly what its supposed to do when your venter motor is not making sufficient pressure. More often than not this means a new venter motor assembly, though on some occasions it is the air pressure switch.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 PM

It will probably cost me a few bucks to get it fixed, but I will have a look at it first. I'm in Edmonton, so if I need a technician who is reasonable and good...any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM

ahhh this can actually be a trick code on these furnaces.
when the furnace starts up, does the ventor motor start?
if it doesnt, i bet the control board is shot. an internal relay burns up on these boards that wont let the ventor motor start. no ventor motor, the pressure switch wont make and there for you get the code for a pressure switch
Old 04-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Nothing starts up when I turn up the thermostat and turn the power on to the furnace. The green led code light is solid for 30 sec or so then a click sound and then the led flashes 3 times. I'm waiting for a furnace guy to call me. We have a second furnace for the second floor so that is enough to keep the main floor relatively warm.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 AM

PM sent

BH

Old 04-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Nothing starts up when I turn up the thermostat and turn the power on to the furnace. The green led code light is solid for 30 sec or so then a click sound and then the led flashes 3 times. I'm waiting for a furnace guy to call me. We have a second furnace for the second floor so that is enough to keep the main floor relatively warm.
Sounds like the board then.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
Sounds like the board then.
Call a repair tech.

If that error code is correct, and if it does represent a pressure switch fault, it could be any of these, in no particular order:

1) Faulty Board
2) Loose connection or bad wiring to inducer motor
3) Bad inducer motor
4) Loose connection or bad wiring to the pressure switch
5) Faulty pressure switch
5) Drainage issue that backs water into fan , and then the pressure switch
6) Cracked disconnected vacuum line
7) Blocked venting ( I personally have seen frost/snow, birds, bats, golf balls and gravel cause this same issue)

Or something else I haven't thought of... All of those would cause a pressure switch fault.

By your description of the problem you have ruled out a couple of those possibilities already but i wouldn't replace anything until the fault has been identified.

You could spend twice as much replacing parts as you will for the tech. This is a relatively easy issue to diagnose if you are in front of the furnace with a meter in hand...
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 AM

i Agree, get a tech out to look at it and confirm. If its the board like i assume it is, to have a tech out to diagnose and replace the board on that furnace will be around the $600 mark
if you are in Edmonton and need a service call PM me.

either way let us know how you make out
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM

Bet your glad you saved all that money on your gas bill by having a high Efficiency furnace so you can pay this repair bill I’m still in the stone age with my furnace
Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Bet your glad you saved all that money on your gas bill by having a high Efficiency furnace so you can pay this repair bill I’m still in the stone age with my furnace
Lets review this thread....

Quote:
I have a mid efficient Tempstar Furnace. It's not firing up and there's an error code...the green led light is flashing three times per interval. I thought I'd check here before calling a furnace company. Maybe it's something I can repair myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yep, just like I thought I had read.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Yup that sucks even longer to save vs cost of repair
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 PM

didn't these furnaces have those grey HW Smart Valves along with the blue wired ignitors, I remember these would fail and sometimes it would fail the ignitor and others the it would be the gas valve.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 PM

Call ATCO, they will do a free inspection even some cleaning to ensure everything is working properly. Even fixed a wiring problem on our furnace. Also NO CHARGE.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Hey guys...our furnace is working now. It was in fact the main circuit board, so we had to replace it. Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. Much appreciated.