Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
the owners and management don't care if the team wins or loses, as long as the seats have a pair of cheeks in them. the psychological makeup of the typical fan is carefully considered though, present the losing team as a "team in transition" or "building a new offense/defense". they knew when the fanatics bought tickets after the players went on strike they had nothing to worry about.
the day will come when the Oilers will need some half azzed fans.. one cheekers !

Last edited by Rio56; 02-25-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
^^ Yup. The whole thing you guys have going up there for an NHL team stinks. And you better believe the rest of the hockey world sees it, and is sick of it. Nobody likes the Oilers. A team that keeps getting the #1 pick and keeps 5hitting the bed. The upper management of the Oilers are quite possibly the worst ever. And that's saying alot.

Just look at this!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

How the hockey minds in the Oilers organization could screw this up is simply mind boggling.
Wow when u look at that link it makes one wonder who did the scouting for this team...pretty sad

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 02-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Mandel and Katz were always in bed together on this deal. Mandel owned some of the arena land or adjacent land through a shell company his wife owned was listed as owner of. He made millions on the deal and now lives most of the year in Arizona and Vancouver

The money that the city and the province dumped into this scam should have been criminal but when everybody is getting fed who is going to raise the issue.
Not really, he has a locker beside mine at a fitness club in YEG and the past 4 yrs I've chatted with him 3 days a week( except for the odd holiday)...the past 3 months I've only seen him 4 times...so unless he has a doppleganger
Old 02-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Banned

Default What takes more?

Licks on a tootsie pop to get to the centre?

#1 draft picks to rebuild the oilers?

I remember the old commercial where the kid asks the wise old owl "how many licks to get to the centre of a tootsie pop?"...then answer was...one...two...three...CRUNCH...the answer is three.

The Oilers have had 4 #1 picks and no licks and they are biting LOL

Connor Mcdavid should be at the Oscars this weekend for his performance after being drafted by the Oilers because it was the best acting of 2015....I am so sure he just loved being drafted by the Oilers.....kind of like being told your getting to get laid but then the gal turns out to be a fattie

FTH
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Licks on a tootsie pop to get to the centre?

#1 draft picks to rebuild the oilers?

I remember the old commercial where the kid asks the wise old owl "how many licks to get to the centre of a tootsie pop?"...then answer was...one...two...three...CRUNCH...the answer is three.

The Oilers have had 4 #1 picks and no licks and they are biting LOL

Connor Mcdavid should be at the Oscars this weekend for his performance after being drafted by the Oilers because it was the best acting of 2015....I am so sure he just loved being drafted by the Oilers.....kind of like being told your getting to get laid but then the gal turns out to be a fattie

FTH

True.

Nothing wrong with weight.

When all of the residual people who influence the cat are gone, then progress will be made.

Lowe must go.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

well congrats to the Oilers, they are now officially in last place over all, 2 points behind the leafs, looks like they are shooting for the $1 pick again, I still think that if they had a coach for longer than 1 season they may be able to get into a system that actually works and make a little something happen, look what happens to golfers when they change their swing coach, it take them a year or so just to get back to where they were much less improve, anyway when you look at the ticket prices to go watch the Oilers ????? wow I see them here all the time for face value $335, $278, $225 ????? plus parking, coke at $5 or beer at $9 cost you $700 bucks for you and the wife to go watch 1 hour of that ???????????? cant see it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:49 AM

Trade the first overall pick. Trade it, trade it, trade it.

Oiler experience has shown you cannot drop the best 18 year old around (or even a few of them) into a bad team and have the team turn around. Take the first pick, or even ALL your draft choices for 2016 (and throw in Yak LOL)for a few SOLID NHL players. Not one star, just guys who are good players with solid work ethic, leadership capability and some experience winning, who are at least 6 feet tall and weigh more than 200 lbs. Second or third line guys.

We already have at least two players, maybe more, who will show up in the annual top ten goal scorers lists in the future. We don't need more. We need some Selke candidates.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Other than to possibly watch the other team when Ovi, Crosby, Toews, etc. come to town, I can't fathom why people still go the the games. When Florida was this bad, tickets were $15 each and the place was empty.

Here is a glimpse of the Oilers play over the last seven seasons...

15/16: Last;
14/15: Third last;
13/14: Third last;
12/13: Seventh last*;
11/12: Second last;
10/11: Last; and,
9/10: Last.

*Shortened season.

I get patience and loyalty, but they have been screwing around for 7 years. Whats to be patient and loyal for, their play in the '80's, the cheap seats they are selling, aren't fans just paying hundreds of dollars to get frustrated?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM

The only time the Oilers have made a decent draft pick is when they are picking near the top and everyone that can read a news paper is aware of the rankings. Even then their choices have been debateable but at least they get someone with potential.

After that they have got nothing. The big character players are generally not chosen in the top 20 and often are available 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round. These guys are slower developing along with defenseman and the Oilers just can't recognize them early.

You have to take the best player available but there is nothing that says you have to keep him. If the best player available each year was a goalie, the oilers would have 10 all playing forward

They played a decent game against a big team last night. Quick would have won the game in either net.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 AM

I actually feel sorry for the first round draft picks that are sentenced to Edmonton. It would be nice if they at least had some chance of playing in the playoffs.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Good GM? I would say they have had horrible GM's and that is one of the biggest reasons they are in the position they have been for years. Peter is a good GM but hasn't had enough time to make a difference yet.

Idiots running the show have been icing the same small soft team with no defensive abilities for years now... How no one in that organization has been smart enough to realize the real issues with the team is lack of team effort and defensive play I do not understand...

Hopefully they draft another soft skilled forward again this year so I as a non Edmonton fan can keep on laughing at them...
I agree with the lack of defense! What I can't understand is how Wayne G. Turned around LA Kings when he was coach? I think they need Wayne back in Edmonton.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I actually feel sorry for the first round draft picks that are sentenced to Edmonton. It would be nice if they at least had some chance of playing in the playoffs.
There seems to be so much prestige that come with being drafted first overall in any sport. But really all you get sentence to be served with the worst team in the league. At least in sports like football the first overall can sign a huge contract. In hockey you have such a low rookie limit that the first overall may not earn much more than the tenth overall.

If I was the best player in my draft year I might consider tanking my play so I dropped on the list from 1 to 20. Get picked up by a good team and then turn it back on! LOL

Remember Tailor and Tyler? One went to the gulag, the other got a Stanley cup ring in his first year!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakotackdriver View Post
I agree with the lack of defense! What I can't understand is how Wayne G. Turned around LA Kings when he was coach? I think they need Wayne back in Edmonton.
http://youtu.be/8GB-UkRBWrs
Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakotackdriver View Post
I think they need Wayne back in Edmonton.
Only if he can still play.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:21 PM

It's pretty easy to look back and say that a team did a bad job of drafting. Take the 2012 draft as an example.

People are critical of the Soilers for taking Yakupov with the #1 pick. It's easy to say now, "Why didn't they take Trouba (Winnipeg) or Forsberg(Wash) instead of Yakupov? They are way better players!!"
But at the time, Yakupov was a safe choice as the best player available. Even if they had have picked the best d-man available, they would have taken Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhardt and people would still be complaining that the Oilers did not get the best player in the draft.

The player who turns out to be the 'best in class' is often taken later in the draft, but still in the first round. IMO, Trouba and Forsberg have been the best of that draft and they were picked #9 and #11. But, could you imagine the hand wringing if the Oilers had taken either of them at that time. "What are they thinking, taking that guy? Central scouting has him rated way lower!!!" On a clear day, you'd be able to hear the wailing as far as Lethbridge. (note: #10 pick Slater Koekkoek of TBay looks like a total bust, but you never know.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Picking a player way before their Central scouting rating is dangerous business. Just look at the Flames pick from that same year, Mark Jankowski at #21. He's just finishing college and is finally looking like he may turn into a player, but the Flames have taken a lot criticism for that pick. Time will tell.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM

I'm a Canucklehead, so no dog in this fight. I'm surprised the players don't try leading on the ice. Sure coaching is important, but is it not the players that dictate the play? If someone leads in the locker room and others on the ice, or both, then results should bloom. I've never been a professional hockey player, so don't know how it works in that league, but I believe much of the onus is on the players. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Make this thread as dead as the oil waste of time
Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-jason-g...n+-+Feb+26.mp3

Great interview with Jason Gregor and Craig Button..listen to all of it or go to the 11 min mark..or hit 12:26 for some REAL interesting prospective on the ailing Coilers..nail meets hammer IMO
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM

Some big off loads before the deadline. Making some cap space.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 PM

Nillson
Purcell
Shultz

All traded......

There are no absolutes
Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned

Why don't they make an actual large move? Hall and 1st round pick for a big name defence men or goalie. Do something that actually shows people you are serious about making a push within the next 5 years lol
Old 02-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Why don't they make an actual large move? Hall and 1st round pick for a big name defence men or goalie. Do something that actually shows people you are serious about making a push within the next 5 years lol
No big deals right now. Guys hopping on hot teams. Wait for off season.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:16 PM

At least it is a start. I guess?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrocyte View Post
At least it is a start. I guess?
Let's hope.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
No big deals right now. Guys hopping on hot teams. Wait for off season.
I am a flames fan and have to say I love these deals lol will do nothing to improve the Oilers at all.

It's so bizarre to watch as the Oilers are literally right at the edge, so close to touching glory yet they are looking the other way staring into a puddle of mud. Can you imagine if they got one solid legitimate veteran with heart and a moderate goalie how quick that team could turn it around? Very funny for me to watch them just ignore the needs and continue to fall apart.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I am a flames fan and have to say I love these deals lol will do nothing to improve the Oilers at all.

It's so bizarre to watch as the Oilers are literally right at the edge, so close to touching glory yet they are looking the other way staring into a puddle of mud. Can you imagine if they got one solid legitimate veteran with heart and a moderate goalie how quick that team could turn it around? Very funny for me to watch them just ignore the needs and continue to fall apart.
As an oilers fan to a flames fan I'll I can say is 5 cups is more than 1. Lol

I agree somewhat with the above. All I can do is hope they make some good deals in the off season.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
HeLL ... is wrong with this team ?
Come on really , 4 of the last 6 top picks and maybe can make it 5 outa 7 .. Excellent coach , good GM ... Is it time to trade big time ..Seen a news report today saying only McDavid may be safe .. Something needs to be done , after all ..
Thanks ndp.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:21 PM

All is OK.... the blockbuster trade of the year is done. Oilers in 5.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloughsharkjigger View Post
All is OK.... the blockbuster trade of the year is done. Oilers in 5.
I had to google the team to see if they actually made a real move like how your posted suggested. Alas I was not let down and no real deal was done lol
Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Most high-level players have no-move clauses...while Hall may jump at the chance to get out, it's unlikely others would waive theirs to get traded TO Edmonton.