Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Any other advice out there?
If you have checked all the things already suggested and can't locate the problem then it is either deep inside the motor and quite bad, or a complicated combination of issues or just maybe you don't have the skill and experience to locate and fix the issue anyhow. Take it to an expert that you can trust, it will be far less likely to damage the engine further.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM

It's 3.0l 4 cylinder 1kzte not a d4d those are later models. Taking it apart now and will post pictures later
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 PM

I would be leaking towards an injector issue as well. Wouldn't hurt to pull them out and get them tested at a reputable shop.

Also could see a glow plug issue as well (controller or plugs). Easy enough to check the control side, hook up a test light to the glow plug terminal (likely a bar that runs across all glow plugs - but I have no personal knowledge of this particular engine) and ground. Turn the key on and see if the test light illuminates when the glow plugs are supposed to be on. Also I prefer to use a conventional test light or bulb for this type of test versus an LED type or multi-meter.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Have doubts your gonna see any issues like your seeing from glow plugs not functioning.

May see a hard starting issue. But not smoking like that or terrible idle. Or terrible fuel mileage.

I suspect a turbo issue. We can't fix it over the Internet. And you still haven't seemed to of even checked much of anything as of yet.
Are you burning excessive engine oil or coolant ?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Those engines suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Simple to run and simple to fix.

Not much goes wrong with them. But they do have issues.

I suggest you get ahold of Art at Central Diesel Injection in Red Deer.

A lot of good advice has been given here. Other then someone taking a look at it for you, there is not much more to do.

Good Luck.

The suck squeeze bang blow idea describes every four stroke engine on the planet from lawnmower to top fuelers.

A little more happening in there than that.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 PM

Diesel
Suck,squeeze inject fuel,bang,blow.

Gas engine.
Suck,squeeze, inject fuel,spark,bang,blow.

Pretty much a diesel of the style being discussed will have a couple more common issues.
If one breaks it down to intake,compression fuel,ignition, exhaust.
I this scenerio it seems the vehicle
intakes air fine.
Compressing air may be an issue
Fuel maybe an issue.
Ignition seems to be fine as it runs.
Exhaust seems to be working.

Breaking down each issue start with the easiest
Check fuel supply. Lift pump. Filters. Injectors, injection pump.
Next check compression.

Simple to diagnose a mechanical diesel engine for the most part.
Usually issues such as excessive smoke has to to with over fueling leaking injector.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Diesel
Suck,squeeze inject fuel,bang,blow.

Gas engine.
Suck,squeeze, inject fuel,spark,bang,blow.

Pretty much a diesel of the style being discussed will have a couple more common issues.
If one breaks it down to intake,compression fuel,ignition, exhaust.
I this scenerio it seems the vehicle
intakes air fine.
Compressing air may be an issue
Fuel maybe an issue.
Ignition seems to be fine as it runs.
Exhaust seems to be working.

Breaking down each issue start with the easiest
Check fuel supply. Lift pump. Filters. Injectors, injection pump.
Next check compression.

Simple to diagnose a mechanical diesel engine for the most part.
Usually issues such as excessive smoke has to to with over fueling leaking injector.

All true except this is an ECU controlled diesel. Map sensor, boost sensor, air inlet temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, fuel temp sensor , cam sensor, crank sensor.
Not enough info from the OP to really help , but he needs to scan some codes and see where it leads . I'd be guessing map or boost sensor as its obviously over fueling .
Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Default here are some pics

Took it apart a little, don't know how to make the pictures not in thumbnail format.
Pic 1 is oil coming from boost controller, connects from turbo housing to wastegate.
Pic 2 is looking inside the turbo inlet which connects to the air filter you can see oil here and it is coming from the little hole above
Pic 3 oil inside on my finger
Pic 4 is my finger on the source of where the oil is coming from, the line leads to the top of the engine in pic 5 where my finger is there
Pic 5 top of engine
Pic 6 overview of the area

What Is this line in pic 4,5? It connects to turbo at the air intake end and it's where the oil is coming from.

Pic 1,2,3, 6 are sideways just so it doesn't confuse

calling central diesel to pick their brain as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151207_164153.jpg (40.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20151207_164846.jpg (43.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20151207_164913.jpg (34.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20151208_121734.jpg (60.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20151208_120207.jpg (59.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20151208_121752.jpg (68.3 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Submoa_hunter; 12-08-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Without ever having worked on one of these, I would say that is the inlet side of the turbo and the hose going to it is from the crankcase breather (the source of your oil) It (the oil) is coming into the turbo because of an unusual amount of crank case pressure due to some fault yet to be determined.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure what cetane is. And if it's idling after starting it up it takes 20 min. If I start driving within 2-3min. Changed the oil after 5 k and the previous after 5k, also ran this stuff thats supposed to clean out anything where the oil lubricates in the engine. You just pour a bit where the oil goes, run for 30min and change oil. new oil filter along with new air filter and new fuel filter. Problem persists

And thats my guess as to what he did as well too, maybe added that stuff that adds compression to the cylinders as well. Can't remember the name of the stuff of the top my head
Cetane in diesel is the same thing basically as Octane in gas.

The late '90's and early 2000's diesels often benefited from a Cetane improver after the fuel was changed to ultra low sulfur stuff they were not designed to run on. Some of these also had an lubricity additive to make up for the low sulfur and help with lubrication of the pumps.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Took it apart a little, don't know how to make the pictures not in thumbnail format.
Pic 1 is oil coming from boost controller, connects from turbo housing to wastegate.
Pic 2 is looking inside the turbo inlet which connects to the air filter you can see oil here and it is coming from the little hole above
Pic 3 oil inside on my finger
Pic 4 is my finger on the source of where the oil is coming from, the line leads to the top of the engine in pic 5 where my finger is there
Pic 5 top of engine
Pic 6 overview of the area

What Is this line in pic 4,5? It connects to turbo at the air intake end and it's where the oil is coming from.

Pic 1,2,3, 6 are sideways just so it doesn't confuse

calling central diesel to pick their brain as well
Unless a motor is brand new you are going to see some oil from the line connected to the crank case. It does not look wet enough to be causing you any real issue. Many people will remember the old fibre filters inside the air cleaner on their car back in the 70's. Once the car had some miles on it they always got wet over time. Same thing.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM

It's been a while but I've finally found time to bring it in. Turns out 2 out of the 4 injectors were stuck wide open. Dumping fuel in, causing horrendous engine vibration and pumes of white smoke at startup for the first 10 min of startup until it warmed up. Cant wait to get it back! Thanks all for the help