Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 01:12 PM

I don't like paying anymore tax then I have to
Old 02-27-2016, 01:48 PM

If the government had the integrity and responsibility to actually use that money for a set purpose it might help but time and time again taxes collected for what they tell us it's going to be used for is spent on something else. And the original problem that the money was collected for gets worse. NO MORE TAXES!
Old 02-27-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
Get over diversifying the economy. It isn't going to happen. Agriculture and whatever else does well in Alberta will continue to succeed. Nothing has prevented other industry from growing in the past.

So, we're open to suggestions on how to stimulate the economy? You're not one of those fellows that thinks he's going to wake up in the morning and Mr Disney has made magic and we're back to being all rosy? Naaaa, everyone pretty much knows those days are gone. At least for the foreseeable future. This isn't just a bump, it's the new reality!
Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
And besides $150 a month profit on a truck?

Dang you lose.

No way in heck would I use my truck for work for $150 profit per month.
No! I figure because of the drop in gas price from $1.20 a litre to .75 cents a litre that is the $150
Old 02-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I noticed when gas price was down to 65c a litre, it took $40 to fill up my tank and I in turn took my family out for dinner with the saving of the other $40 that I would normally pay.

Lower gas prices will stimulate economy.

We need our government to look into the rack price monopoly done by big oil companies.

Oil prices are low, gas price at the pumps have to be low.
No more big oil tax on the people of Canada.
This is the best argument against from my perspective. Saying no more taxes is fine and dandy until you need to go to hospital......I'm guessing all the laid off Oil and Gas workers can't afford private health care, they may need to get welfare until the next job comes along.
I don't like taxes either.
Instead of bailing out the banks in 2009, they should of given every tax payer $500 and asked them to spend it locally.
One thing I do agree on (with most I hope) is that we have been right royally screwed over by Ottawa. All that time they took billions from us and now they send us $250 million back - it is an insult.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
So, we're open to suggestions on how to stimulate the economy? You're not one of those fellows that thinks he's going to wake up in the morning and Mr Disney has made magic and we're back to being all rosy? Naaaa, everyone pretty much knows those days are gone. At least for the foreseeable future. This isn't just a bump, it's the new reality!
Oil will come back up. It always does. Do some research. Our government simply needs to budget for $50 oil. Not spend money we don't have
Old 02-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Those days are gone thanks to government overspending. We actually have an incredibly diversified economy in this province compared to some other provinces. The government has a spending problem not a revenue problem.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
This is the best argument against from my perspective. Saying no more taxes is fine and dandy until you need to go to hospital......I'm guessing all the laid off Oil and Gas workers can't afford private health care, they may need to get welfare until the next job comes along.
I don't like taxes either.
Instead of bailing out the banks in 2009, they should of given every tax payer $500 and asked them to spend it locally.
One thing I do agree on (with most I hope) is that we have been right royally screwed over by Ottawa. All that time they took billions from us and now they send us $250 million back - it is an insult.
No Canadian banks were bailed out. And we don't have private health care in Canada
Old 02-27-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Oil will come back up. It always does. Do some research. Our government simply needs to budget for $50 oil. Not spend money we don't have

Living in the past. The oil market is now a free for all, with the country with the lowest price selling and those higher slowing down or stopping to produce completely. If you read the statements by the Saudis lately you'll note it's different this time. It'll come back for sure, but it'll be at least 3-5 years. Can you go without a job that long, I can't.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Living in the past. The oil market is now a free for all, with the country with the lowest price selling and those higher slowing down or stopping to produce completely. If you read the statements by the Saudis lately you'll note it's different this time. It'll come back for sure, but it'll be at least 3-5 years. Can you go without a job that long, I can't.
Ever notice how the same few guys that are predicting 3-5 years are the same ones who in early 2014 were predicting $200/bbl. oil?....and don't get me started on their "peak" oil projections, most of them have moved onto peddling their climate change claims
Old 02-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Ever notice how the same few guys that are predicting 3-5 years are the same ones who in early 2014 were predicting $200/bbl. oil?....and don't get me started on their "peak" oil projections, most of them have moved onto peddling their climate change claims

Time will tell, I suppose. You're right, there is no crystal ball or we'd all be rich. But I'm betting that it's going to be a long haul. May, hopefully, be proven wrong but I don't think so.....
Old 02-27-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
No Canadian banks were bailed out. And we don't have private health care in Canada
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank...sion-1.1145997

For healthcare, my point is that tax dollars go to public healthcare which is available for all in good times and bad. In the good times people advocated for private healthcare, but where would they be now if public healthcare was not available?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:25 AM

Including GST we allready pay 0.24 cent per L in tax. And you want to raise that again ? Thats about 40% in taxes on gas at these days prices. When are people going to tell our Governments that it is time that they start beeing responsible and stop increasing taxes and living off the people. We are one of the highest taxed people in the world. Governments need to stop takeing money from the people's pockets and leave more for them to spend off there hard earned money.

Stop these high payouts, large retirement packages, down size the government, etc... We have one of the largest governments in the world with one of the smallest populations!
Work as an MP for 10 years, $200 grand a year plus.
Payout package in the $200 grand plus again.
Retirement package worth about a million.

WOW !!!!

Just compare the US. taxes to Canada.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Spend the extra money on food. You just about had to be rich to buy a head of cauliflower lately at $7/head.

Or sponsor a couple of couple of kids in Worldvision's program. I guarantee your money will go 100 times as far, than giving to government.

Heck, buy beer or good Canadian whiskey for that matter. Still better than taxes. As others have said, it's spending, not revenue. We just got another fuel tax, plus an increased carbon tax provincially, and I believe a federal carbon tax (or increase) on top of that. Trulander just committed a couple billion to the UN to fight Canadian prosperity.. I mean climate change, plus sent about 300 politicians to Paris for the same. Another billion went to bail out Bombardier again. And I'm sure CBC will get back up to a billion per year again. Of purely tax payers money, that is. And PET's wife's kid just took away income splitting for all us rich folk. Right there is an extra $2000 out of quite a few familie's pockets. With decreased coal usage on the map, we'll be using more natural gas provincially (or buy from Manitoba??!) which will drive up heating and electricity costs provincially.. Don't worry, we'll get a good gouging yet.

Boy, I'll tell you a whiskey sounds good right now.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That my friend is why we have all the economists and strategists etc. The only thing I can suggest is people, including the government,wake up and realize the real problems. The huge provincial deficit isn't from over staffing of the provincial civil servants, although that's not helping, but the lack of provincial revenue form lack of funds from industry, especially the lack of revenue cause by the new oil prices. Mass layoffs in the government isn't going to solve any problem. You and I both know that, but a lot on here seem to think it will. It's not a party problem, it's a provincial problem that somehow has to be realistically dealt with.

everyone in the private sector has to deal with fluctuations in domestic and world markets, and realistically, because our GDP is heavily depends on exports, civil servants salaries should be indexed to our export position, whether it be weak or strong. the present formula disregards economic performance and any yearly deficit is added to the accumulated debt, which burdens everyone. additionally, the accumulated debt will be a burden on our children and grandchildren very soon, if not addressed logically and realistically. look to Venezuela for an example of debt gone wild.