Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Extending a tent

Have a tent with 3.5 ft side walls and took it in to get the sides lenghtened to 5 feet. The shop owner said since the tent is an older model that has already shrunk as far as it will, if you add the extra 1.5 feet it will look like a funnel when the new canvas shrinks. Does this sound resonable to you folks or does the owner just not want to do the job? He did say he was very busy and had little staff. The inside area is small enough with my hunting partners big feet, and men don't like shrinkage.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM

Default interesting

That's an interesting point, we have a tent we're looking at doing the same. How could you "pre-shrink" the new canvase before sewing to the old tent?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Try phoning Camper's Village. They do repairs on these things on a regular basis and can probably tell you.
Grizz
Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM

Default Side Walls

Before I got my new tent I looked at having that very thing done. I was strongly advised against it by two manufacturers as they could not predict what the shrinkage of the new canvas would do and they couldn't sew an extra large extension on to compensate. They wre both prepared to do the work but the cost was about half the price of a new tent. Add fixing a screen and a new zipper and we were at almost 70%. Want a good tent as cheap as you will ever find one pm me and I will put you on to a great company in Denver. Cheap shipping at $55 for a 90lb 12 X 18 to Edmonton
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
guidehunt

try AAA canvas in edmonton i had mine done 3 yrs ago and they did a great job no problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 139_3997.jpg (138.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks guys, Guide hunt your tent looks pretty good, I just keep thinking how much can they shrink? The shop owner said I'd be better off with a vinyl addition but don,t like the sound of that. Think I'll try the canvas addition at another shop and see what happens, whats the worst that can happen?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Added 18 inches of canvas and 18 inches of poly for ground cover to our tent, as well as a five foot section to extend the length. No problems at all...you can see the tent in the "lets see your camp" posts.