Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Any insomniacs on here?

In the last couple of years I've developed this problem of not being able to to sleep at night, it got to a point where I decided to see a doctor.So he gave me a prescription for zopiclone and trazadone, which does make me sleep but I worry about long term effects ,anyone on here have any opinions on this? Also if you have any home remedies or whatever that might be of help I would appreciate it,thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Banned

Zopiclone I can understand, but why an antidepressant/anti-anxiety like trazadone?

Cannabis indica will likely knock you out, no morning hangover either.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Zopiclone I can understand, but why an antidepressant/anti-anxiety like trazadone?

Cannabis indica will likely knock you out, no morning hangover either.
So is this stuff legal?can it be taken like a pill or do I have to smoke it?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
So is this stuff legal?can it be taken like a pill or do I have to smoke it?
You can get it in a oil solution, works awesome for sleep issues. No need to smoke it.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:18 PM

“ME TOO” ...with the insomnia. Was prescribed zopiclone which works, but my regular Dr. retired and the new one I signed up with said he didn’t like prescribing zopiclone because he felt it could affect short term memory. He gave me an anti-depressant to try for a couple of months ... one tab before bedtime.... works fine.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM

I will second Zopiclone's effect on short term memory.

I've been prescribed it in the past and found that it was ok so long as you did in fact fall asleep right away.

If not, I could get up in the morning and notice I had done trivial things around the house that I had no recollection of. VERY odd feeling! Also had friends or family I had spoken to on the phone that said I sounded like a space cadet.

very disturbing and scary!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Suffer terribly from it. Here are some things that help.

1: No caffeine. Even if I have regular coffee in the morning my night is doomed.

2: Quit stressing about it. Stressing makes it worse so learn to live with it.

3: Try to limit stress. It doesn't help.

I saw my mother & sister become hooked on sleeping pills. Then you need pills to wake you up. It's a vicious circle and once you get in it's hard to get out. I never want to go through what they did.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Just get a doctor's prescription cannabis oil

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 05:14 PM

I was prescribed zopiclone once. In relation to some other medical issues, I was having a terrible time sleeping because of them. Man it worked, so much so it scared me. I never finished the script. I told my dr I got some great rest but it seemed like it wasn’t addressing the problem of not sleeping and I didn’t want to rely on the knock out pill, or become reliant on it. Mind you it wasn’t insomnia that I had. But wow I still remember the sleep from it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 PM

Ingestible ganga
Old 04-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Banned

Orgasm, cookie, smoke a joint....not necessarily in that order.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Prime Rib and a Rub and Tug
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Prime Rib and a Rub and Tug
Are you right in Calgary?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Gummies from "Herbal Dispatch" 5 or 10 ml thc. Sleep like a baby, no hang over.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Default combination

A lot of folks find that a combination of techniques can be helpful, especially when the issue is difficulty with initially FALLING asleep (the ones who have difficulty with early waking / can't STAY asleep have a much more difficult time).

You might want to look at some combination of:

- avoiding all electronics for one hour prior to bed-time (studies are showing that the blue light from screens can cause wakefulness)
- assessing your thirst / hunger throughout the evening, and adding in a late snack or drink as needed (something low carb / higher fat / higher protein so no sugar spike) --- or getting rid of that last snack if you already do have one close to bedtime
- creating an "end of day" ritual which will signal to your mind that it is sleep time (include a hot drink or snack if you need / want one, some gentle stretches, a walk around the house to set your mind at ease that all is well, a foot / hand soak and massage to get the extremities warm and ease possible restlessness, setting out clothes / food / etc for the next morning so that you know all is ready, whatever you find necessary and relaxing!)
- adjusting light and temperature of the bedroom (as dark as possible, fairly cool) and making sure that your bed / mattress / pillows are all your own personal definition of comfortable
- add in relaxation / breathing techniques (try what RedBullets suggested first, or try an imaging process that you repeat every night: such as creating the picture in your head of your "dream" hunting cabin in the mountains where you visualize each step of the design and layout --- as mentioned, your mind can only think of one thing at a time, and creating images ties up all parts of the brain)

Unless under extreme stress, it is the combination of late balanced snack, ritual, WARM FEET, and visualization / relaxation that works best for me.

Oh - and did your doc do a full physical along with blood work including vitamin / mineral levels when you went in? Some vitamin / mineral deficiencies can show up as difficulty with sleeping (due to restless or lightly cramping muscles or emotional / mental effects). Insomnia can also be a side-effect of other meds such as for blood pressure or cholesterol, so a chat with your doc or pharmacist about changing prescriptions or timing of taking the meds can make all the difference.

Good luck to you for a good rest!

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDemeter View Post
A lot of folks find that a combination of techniques can be helpful, especially when the issue is difficulty with initially FALLING asleep (the ones who have difficulty with early waking / can't STAY asleep have a much more difficult time).

You might want to look at some combination of:

- avoiding all electronics for one hour prior to bed-time (studies are showing that the blue light from screens can cause wakefulness)
- assessing your thirst / hunger throughout the evening, and adding in a late snack or drink as needed (something low carb / higher fat / higher protein so no sugar spike) --- or getting rid of that last snack if you already do have one close to bedtime
- creating an "end of day" ritual which will signal to your mind that it is sleep time (include a hot drink or snack if you need / want one, some gentle stretches, a walk around the house to set your mind at ease that all is well, a foot / hand soak and massage to get the extremities warm and ease possible restlessness, setting out clothes / food / etc for the next morning so that you know all is ready, whatever you find necessary and relaxing!)
- adjusting light and temperature of the bedroom (as dark as possible, fairly cool) and making sure that your bed / mattress / pillows are all your own personal definition of comfortable
- add in relaxation / breathing techniques (try what RedBullets suggested first, or try an imaging process that you repeat every night: such as creating the picture in your head of your "dream" hunting cabin in the mountains where you visualize each step of the design and layout --- as mentioned, your mind can only think of one thing at a time, and creating images ties up all parts of the brain)

Unless under extreme stress, it is the combination of late balanced snack, ritual, WARM FEET, and visualization / relaxation that works best for me.

Oh - and did your doc do a full physical along with blood work including vitamin / mineral levels when you went in? Some vitamin / mineral deficiencies can show up as difficulty with sleeping (due to restless or lightly cramping muscles or emotional / mental effects). Insomnia can also be a side-effect of other meds such as for blood pressure or cholesterol, so a chat with your doc or pharmacist about changing prescriptions or timing of taking the meds can make all the difference.

Good luck to you for a good rest!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply ,I can tell that you are well informed and to answer your question about blood work for mineral deficiency, it was not asked of me by the doctor, which I would have done if he'd asked ,just like that tooth brush commercial where she says (who knew).Also I have blood pressure problems ,sometimes I feel like my face is going to explode,I've tried several different kinds but nothing seems to work well ,I was prescribed these in lieu of an operation, before that I never used them at all,I'm starting to believe that I could just stop taking them. At this point I'm tired and totally confused.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:27 AM

I haven't taken any Zopliclone for quite a while but I think I can still taste the metallic aftertaste it leaves in your mouth for an entire day after. Much like you've had a penny in your mouth or a bunch of nails.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM

I think IceDemeter sums it up best. Not sleeping well may have many causes and may require many fixes or hacks to get back on track. I think most need good sleep to be healthy and one needs to be healthy to sleep well.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM

I was a shift worker for 27 years and now I do not sleep well. I was told that zopiclone was not addictive. It is not but once you start it you may not sleep without it. I got to the stage where it put me to sleep but did not keep me asleep. I can not explain it but sleep did not feel like sleep. I slept poorly before zopiclone and even worse with it.

I tapered down and quit. Now I take THC drops in the evening. The THC does not keep me asleep all night but I feel comfortable all night and well rested in the morning. The THC also takes the edge off my hip and shoulder pain that usually starts up in the evening.

If I could go back in time I would not let any doctor talk me into taking Zopiclone.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I was a shift worker for 27 years and now I do not sleep well. I was told that zopiclone was not addictive. It is not but once you start it you may not sleep without it. I got to the stage where it put me to sleep but did not keep me asleep. I can not explain it but sleep did not feel like sleep. I slept poorly before zopiclone and even worse with it.

I tapered down and quit. Now I take THC drops in the evening. The THC does not keep me asleep all night but I feel comfortable all night and well rested in the morning. The THC also takes the edge off my hip and shoulder pain that usually starts up in the evening.

If I could go back in time I would not let any doctor talk me into taking Zopiclone.
I started using this zoplicone about a year ago using 1/ 2 of the pill it worked well for a few months and then i needed the full pill, 99% of the time it worked well but sometimes it didn't work at all,then the doctor prescribed trazadone to be taken with it ,sometimes it worked ok sometimes I tossed and turned all night, the THC is looking like a much better option.