Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM

Default Another first for me

Well last time I posted a first it was a deer hunter shooting my coyotes in the snares. I actually talked to the guy today and he didn't realise what was going on till he did it and walked over to the dead coyotes and saw all my yed flagging. It's all good now and he appolagized

Anyways today I had another first. I caught and snared a skunk!!! Not sure how that happened as my snare should have been too high for him. Anyways he was caught just in front of his back legs and shooting a skunk and thinking he won't pray is a false statement I found out. It was nasty and I had to run. I would love to skin him out and get him in a day or 2 but I don't dare do it. Is there any way around dealing with the stench? My wife even sai I stynk like skunk and I was upwind from the thing. It had awesome fur on it though and was a big sucker.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Strange indeed.
You could mix a batch of dish soap, baking soda and peroxide and put the skunk in it first then skin it.
You can de-skunk a dog with that, not sue of the amounts but you could google it.
Would be nice to have a prime skunk pelt for the collection .
Did you shoot it in the head?
I've shot some through the lungs with a 22 and they didn't spray but a shot to the head gets them twitching.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM

head shot. Will try lung next time. I have what I thought was a badger eating off one of my baits and making a trail into a beave hole in a bank of a creek but now I am thinking it is another skunk. I am going to take a 330 there tomarrow and see if I am right or not. I should have looked at the tracks a bit better but didn't think much of it till later when I caught the one skunk. Not sure if I dare try to skin that skunk or not
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 PM

Keep the glands for marten and fisher lure.
That is if you got a place to keep them so the wife does not smell it.

My shed and out ide the shed smells of skunk that I keep my lure in. The lure is in jars and in plastic jars with screw on lids.

But it works!

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:41 PM

I don't think I could skin him. But my dad bought my mom,s wedding rings by trapping skunks. I guess they were quite in demand back then. Is there a market for the pelts today?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Anyways today I had another first. I caught and snared a skunk!!! Not sure how that happened as my snare should have been too high for him. Anyways he was caught just in front of his back legs and shooting a skunk and thinking he won't pray is a false statement I found out. It was nasty and I had to run. I would love to skin him out and get him in a day or 2 but I don't dare do it. Is there any way around dealing with the stench? My wife even sai I stynk like skunk and I was upwind from the thing. It had awesome fur on it though and was a big sucker.
^^^^^^^ That right there is one of the funniest I've ever read. LMFAO
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
^^^^^^^ That right there is one of the funniest I've ever read. LMFAO
I always get the weirdest things sometimes. I guess I am happy to give you a laugh Jeff! Thought someone would get a howl out of it.

Last edited by nube; 11-24-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 AM

If it is possible nube get a live trap. Wrap the live trap on the sides with a tarp set and catch the sucker. Then slowly pick him up and place trap in the open river a barrel and drown him. He won't spray. If you hit him with a 330 he will spray. From what I was told any damage to the head or spine (nervous system) will cause him to spray. Once he is drown still wash in soap peroxide solution. Then pull out the glands they will be very full and extract the essence. There are a few videos on YouTube.
Glad to see you are having fun. And if you like to pull pranks at the hall. Get a skunk tanned and do a self Taxidermy and leave it around the hall one day. I'm sure you will see some of the most fearless guys out there yelp and run.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 AM

In my experience they always spray no matter where you shoot them.

LC
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Washing with tomato juice will take out the smell . Take it from me , I was given a tomato juice shower as a boy after I got sprayed . Juice was right out of the fridge , MAN WAS THAT COLD !! Clothes also got a wash with it and the smell disappeared .
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM

hang it from a tree at one of your bait sites.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
hang it from a tree at one of your bait sites.
Funny thing is Brag He pulled in 5 coyotes and a fox on that bait with his stench. Usually I drop a bit of skunk essence at each bait and it helps a ton but haven't been doing it this year. I used to snare coyotes when I was a kid with just a couple cotton balls with skunk essence in a willow patch with snares. It worked okay.I think I am going to leave him for a few days and hopefully he doesn't get eaten. I will see how bad it is then
Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 AM

they usually don't spray when shot through lungs ,drowning works ,and a shot of either then run an exhaust hoes in for half hour works good too choke snare on a poll will work never had one spray when hanging in the air lol no matter what you do your playing with fire and thers always a first
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
they usually don't spray when shot through lungs ,drowning works ,and a shot of either then run an exhaust hoes in for half hour works good too choke snare on a poll will work never had one spray when hanging in the air lol no matter what you do your playing with fire and thers always a first
I don't mine playing with fie but I just don't want to get burnt lol Thanks for the info Jay. I think I will try the lungs next time
Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Love reading all your posts and Nube ! Keep having fun and sharing with us !
Old 11-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Love reading all your posts and Nube ! Keep having fun and sharing with us !
Thanks. I think the more guys share the more we learn and have fun. If nobody posts then there is no point in being here. I wish I was better at taking pics. I've nailed over 40 coyotes in 6-7 checks now and have only taken the camera once.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 PM

I set up a bait and snares , got three , learned how aware the coyotes are of they're surroundings !!!! And ran out of bait !!!!! Good luck with the rest of your season ! 40 is awesome congrats
Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM

I caught one in a 220 last week that made the area stink but the skunk wasn't bad. He was froze when I got to him an I chickened out on thawing him out to skin. Couple days later I got a smaller one in a 120 inside a culvert. Everything stinks, worse part is it was right beside a gate I have to open daily lol.
I shot one last yr with a 22 an I think I broke his back. No stink at all. Took the head for a skull collection.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:59 AM

Love reading your posts as well, first off, isn't your line around fox crick? You must be on the extreme northern limits of skunks range. Or are skunks fairly common around the area?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Love reading your posts as well, first off, isn't your line around fox crick? You must be on the extreme northern limits of skunks range. Or are skunks fairly common around the area?
I trap around home as well. I live just outside Edmonton
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Funny thing is Brag He pulled in 5 coyotes and a fox on that bait with his stench. Usually I drop a bit of skunk essence at each bait and it helps a ton but haven't been doing it this year. I used to snare coyotes when I was a kid with just a couple cotton balls with skunk essence in a willow patch with snares. It worked okay.I think I am going to leave him for a few days and hopefully he doesn't get eaten. I will see how bad it is then
i've got skunks hanging at each of my bait sites. hanging in the air, the birds slowly pick them apart. collect every road kill i find.

if i where trapping marten(i'm not). i would have them strategically placed along the line. they attract everything.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:28 AM
Banned

Really enjoy your threads nube, especially your pictures and numbers of coyotes you are taking out!

About the Tomato Juice deal. When I was younger my best friend and favorite dog was a German Shorthaired Pointer, smartest bird dog we ever owned and my dad's favorite hobby was hunting, training and breading bird dogs, so we had lots.

Anyway, as smart as she was, she hated skunks and always managed to get into them, hunted them down and on many occasions got sprayed and stunk to high heaven, she really did'nt seem to care. I was always the lucky one to get chosen to shampoo her with Tomato juice. It's does work but not immediately lol.

Know that I am older, if I ever have to wash another dog again because they are sprayed, I am sure I'll be drinking as much tomato juice with vodka, as I use on my animal.

Happy Trapping!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:33 PM

http://pestcontrol.about.com/od/diya...-And-Facts.htm
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Thanks moose. Where do I get Hydrogen peroxide?I went and cut the snare and rolled him over today. He looks real nice but still stinks to high heaven. Coyote tracks were all over and it caught me 2 more yotes
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Where do I get Hydrogen peroxide?
At any drug store and most major grocery stores. It's also very effective in treating green belly on pelts.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Hi Nube,

I'm thinking this could be very difficult to do in this part of the world but an old guy in Fur Fish and Game said he used to tie the carcass in a running stream for a few days and that got rid of the stink completely.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPRT View Post
Hi Nube,

I'm thinking this could be very difficult to do in this part of the world but an old guy in Fur Fish and Game said he used to tie the carcass in a running stream for a few days and that got rid of the stink completely.
When I was trapping in the BC lower mainland and caught a skunk that's exactly what I did and; IT WORKS.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM

I read in a old trappers book of tricks you shoot them in the spine with a shotgun,no smell. I know for sure shooting them in the head with a 22 does not work. It never stopped pumping until it was dry.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM

I was checking and setting snares last night this snare was down the kill spring was set off.

Those are raven feathers and a chunk of raven meat. But the raven was gone. I didn't know coyotes like raven. Hahaha.
That is a first for me.