Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2015, 10:20 PM

Default [Research Survey] Speeding through School Zones

Hello,

My name is Daniel, and I am a business student from Edmonton who is conducting a research study related to the attitudes and perceptions individuals have about speeding through school zones. Alongside a classmate named Brian, I have made the survey (link is below) and would be appreciative if you could participate in our research

https://docs.google.com/a/student.co...w_IpM/viewform
Old 03-19-2015, 11:20 PM

I got into with our mayor on Twitter about pedestrian incidents in school zones at 30 km vs 50 I'm, he would t engage in discussions
Old 03-19-2015, 11:33 PM

I can see having lowered speed limits just before school, just after school and at lunch, but always found it odd to slow down for all those kids sitting I side at their desks during class hours..... Its such a short distance though that it doesn't bug me.

One thing that frequently gets me are school zones or playground zones that have traffic lights at an intersection within their boundary, if its not an area I'm familiar with I tend to forget about the lower speed limit if I had to stop at a red light. If the light is green I maintain the proper limit, but stopping and waiting for the green seems to act like a reset button for my brain.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM

I don't know if it's the same in Edmonton, but in Calgary now school zones are in effect until 9pm. That's just idiotic in my opinion. If it's a school with an attached playground, it's usually already marked as a playground zone.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Banned

Survey is too long...so I'll sum up. School zones and residential areas are pretty much the only areas I never speed in, and those are the areas that the police should concentrate their efforts. Kids get wrapped up in what they're doing and dart out on the street, pull away from their parents etc. Slow down in residential areas. And keep vehicle parking on streets to a minimum.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Survey is too long...so I'll sum up. School zones and residential areas are pretty much the only areas I never speed in, and those are the areas that the police should concentrate their efforts. Kids get wrapped up in what they're doing and dart out on the street, pull away from their parents etc. Slow down in residential areas. And keep vehicle parking on streets to a minimum.
x2
And these are the places they should be photo radaring the most,but they don't because of $$$$......they stick to the downhill 90km/hr triple lane streets to make some Quick/Big municipal tax dollars.....it's funny how people in our "developed",country think.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Funny that most of the people that complained about the speed limits in school zones are the ones that have kids in school, and these are the same people that are speeding in most of these zones because they are late for picking the kids up or have to get home to start supper. LOL. I totaly agree with school zones and 30Km speed. Speeding 20 over should be a $500.00 fine if not more.

I don't and won't speed in a school zone. Just not worth risking a kids life for a few seconds.
If the speed limit on the hiway is 100, I will do about 105 except for passing. I mostly do 5 over the posted speed at most.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I don't know if it's the same in Edmonton, but in Calgary now school zones are in effect until 9pm. That's just idiotic in my opinion. If it's a school with an attached playground, it's usually already marked as a playground zone.
Yep.
Just silly to have dedicated school zone speed restrictions until 9PM. The original logic was that there are many activities after school, such as parent/teacher nites. I call BS on that, if teachers and parents can't watch out for traffic then there is a problem that speed limits can't fix. Also, Calgary schools tend to be in residential areas with posted 50kph zones, not an excessive speed by any means after the kids are home.
Is there a 'cash cow' waiting on the horizon?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Funny that most of the people that complained about the speed limits in school zones are the ones that have kids in school, and these are the same people that are speeding in most of these zones because they are late for picking the kids up or have to get home to start supper. LOL. I totaly agree with school zones and 30Km speed. Speeding 20 over should be a $500.00 fine if not more.

I don't and won't speed in a school zone. Just not worth risking a kids life for a few seconds.
If the speed limit on the hiway is 100, I will do about 105 except for passing. I mostly do 5 over the posted speed at most.
I agree. BTW, the school zone times here are 8 AM to 5 PM. But I still do the 30 k limit, there is soccer fields and ball diamonds there too.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
Wasn't that the most ridiculous move? There was nothing wrong with the original times of school zones=7:30-5:00 on school days, and playground zones = dawn to dusk (one hour past sunset) 365 days/yr.
Absolutely retarded that at 7:00 at night in December, when it's been pitch dark for almost 3 hours and minus 25 out, that you have to drive 30kmh cuz "little johnny" might be playing in the playground.

I'm a huge stickler for proper speed through these zones too. More than twice I've had to phone people in, each case as they road raged me when I laid on the horn as they blew past me doing about 60 kmh's.

Many people also don't realize that you CANNOT pass within these zones. No I'm not talking about pulling out and passing someone in the left oncoming lane...I'm talking about two lane roadways (4 lane total) and someone is doing say, 25 so you pass them doing 30. Yup..that's the same ticketable offence as speeding through the school/playground zone. You CANNOT pass another vehicle no matter what speed they're going, unless they're stopped to make a left turn, for example.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM

I live close to a school zone and about 75m from the end of Playground zone.
Pretty much everyday I witness moms late to either drop off their kids or late to be somewhere else with toddlers in the back blow through the school zone at close to double the legal speed limit.
Ironic that people with kids are usually the worst offenders.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Honestly....I guess I am not in a hurry when it comes to School or Playground zones....Slow down from 50k to 30k for what a minute...and a small stretch....

I am more bothered when I am on a highway that has a 80k speed limit for at least a 10k stretch and no workers in sight
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP77 View Post
Hello,

My name is Daniel, and I am a business student from Edmonton who is conducting a research study related to the attitudes and perceptions individuals have about speeding through school zones. Alongside a classmate named Brian, I have made the survey (link is below) and would be appreciative if you could participate in our research

https://docs.google.com/a/student.co...w_IpM/viewform
I completed the survey. Good luck with your project!