Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 06:54 PM

Default Not Going to Help Their Cause

So two officers push over an elderly man and an entire division of the police department quits to stand behind the officers that were put on leave, not doing the police as a whole any favours.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52945190
Old 06-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Police are in a complete no win on just about every front. I’m surprised most are still showing up for work.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-05-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Police are in a complete no win on just about every front. I’m surprised most are still showing up for work.
We completely agree on that one chuck....
Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 PM

That wasn't much of a push. Anyone that fragile should avoid protests.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It really wasn’t.

Looks like he created that more so than the police. Awful end result, I don’t think it’s the police’s fault.

There is a reason they all quit!!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Looks like the old man was hoping for a publicity stunt. It looks like he was video taping the incident himself. He defied officers orders to move back and was stupid enough to approach a riot line of officers while defying a curfew . The article also states he was a well known activist.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I'm with the officers on this one.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-05-2020, 07:48 PM

The officers involved in pushing him and causing him to trip were suspended without pay. And so the entire riot control squad resigned. All of them. Why wouldn't they, it's an untenable position. Damned if you do your job, and risk getting prosecuted? I saw an interview where one said he was going home, taking off his uniform, and protecting his home from rioters, looters, and arsonists, and he suggested everybody should be prepared to do the same because nobody was going to come and protect them.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...unit-positions

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I posted this in the other thread as well. I agree that it wasn’t an excessive push but there is no excuse for stepping over the seriously injured man without proving first aid. There was no immediate threat in front of them and the national guard troops had no problem stopping to help him.

That was disgusting.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I posted this in the other thread as well. I agree that it wasn’t an excessive push but there is no excuse for stepping over the seriously injured man without proving first aid. There was no immediate threat in front of them and the national guard troops had no problem stopping to help him.

That was disgusting.
And I also posted in the other thread, that if you watch the reactiona, and listen to the voices, at least some officers may have assumed that he was faking injury at first. When they realized that he was injured, they did call for a medic.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:

That was disgusting.
There actually was a threat in front of them. That is why they were in formation and moving in that direction

-Billy Molls
Old 06-05-2020, 08:27 PM

If I was a cop I'd punch the time clock and go sleep on a side road or go home and watch a movie with the kids till the shift is over. Can do no right in the eyes of the public no matter what they do. I see the type attending the protest in edmonton....they protest everything. That's all I'm gonna say about that. But I support the boys in blue, out here in rural alberta without them there would be lots of missing persons. It's a tough gig and so is my livelihood right now so hang in there we are all in this together they are just doing their job, leave the cops alone , this isn't Minnesota or Florida or Chicago.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:

That was disgusting.
They have a reason why they pushed over the man. They have teams behind the front line to provide assistance. To the untrained person it looks calloused and wrong. To those men standing on the front line its what keeps them, safe.
Everything nowadays is optics. With little substance. To many people who feel their opinion is more important then the actual reasons for the actions.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:53 PM

Dude was bleeding. Who knows what disease he may have.
Cops dont carry bandaids

What were they supposed to do? Call medics.

What should they do? Hold his hand? Comfort him? With what?

Yeah he got shoved. Prob enough to knock an old man off his feet.

Video person was rock steady though. Didnt even wiggle. Should be filming kill shots on WildTV.....
Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Cops dont carry bandaids

Video person was rock steady though. Didnt even wiggle. Should be filming kill shots on WildTV.....
This ^^^^. If you can`t handle the heat "stay the hell out of the kitchen" !
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 PM

These days, it just takes a video to start a controversy and everybody has a camera.

Grizz
Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Cops dont carry bandaids

No kidding, they were baiting for that outcome. Do a little digging, career protesters/crisis actors are a fast-growing vocation these days.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
No kidding, they were baiting for that outcome. Do a little digging, career protesters/crisis actors are a fast-growing vocation these days.
No doubt

In an urban area, medics and life saving institutions are usually minutes away. One advantage of city living.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There actually was a threat in front of them. That is why they were in formation and moving in that direction
Based on the wide angle shot from across the street it must have been invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
They have a reason why they pushed over the man. They have teams behind the front line to provide assistance.
The skinny 75 year old was a grave threat was he? Although I don’t think they were trying to hurt him, they didn’t need to do that either. Note that it was the Guardsman with the grenade launcher that actually stopped. I don’t think that was his primary duty was it? You can see the difference in training right there.

Quote:
Cops dont carry bandaids
You ever hear of first aid? ABC man, they didn’t even slow down.

If they want to go after looters, people throwing stuff, whatever I say fill yer boots. It’s interesting though that while doing that they can’t seem to help kicking around old people and beating up camera crews.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:21 PM

Never mind
Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 PM

Pretty easy to rationalize what happened as being somewhat insignificant and overblown, but the unfortunate truth is that everything that is happening at the front of the blue line is being scrutinized and to ignore that reality is simply being tone deaf... a condition that seldom ends well.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Based on the wide angle shot from across the street it must have been invisible.

The skinny 75 year old was a grave threat was he? Although I don’t think they were trying to hurt him, they didn’t need to do that either. Note that it was the Guardsman with the grenade launcher that actually stopped. I don’t think that was his primary duty was it? You can see the difference in training right there.

If they want to go after looters, people throwing stuff, whatever I say fill yer boots. It’s interesting though that while doing that they can’t seem to help kicking around old people and beating up camera crews.
Nobody kicked around the old man, he is a known agitator that just wasn't physically up to agitating anymore.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:

They could have put him in the recovery position as they awaited ambulance.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:

They weren’t there to line dance.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Banned

I’m glad to hear that the Brothers and Sisters of the two suspended Officers are standing in solidarity with them. Right now politicians will throw any one of them under the bus for optics and to CYA. Absolutely no one will back the Police out of fear of political repercussions. Cuomo’s comments area perfect example of that. It’s a very sad situation for the Police.

IMO that was hardly an overzealous shove by the Officer and was something that I would expect to see happen if you move towards/amongst riot Police that are telling you to move back. It was a complete setup to provoke a response.

As far as the Police not stopping to give assistance to the injured fella.......The Police on “the line” have a job to do and they can’t just stop doing their job as a unit and start acting like individuals. You can even hear a leader keeping everyone focused by telling them to hold the line. As they continue to advance, people in the rear can render assistance to the injured.

What happened to George Floyd was horrendous and I have no problem denouncing that incident. This particular incident?......not so much.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM

Oddly enough, I've never been injured at any protest. In fairness I've only been to one, locally, regarding Bill C-69 and 48....Kenney was there talking. And nobody broke windows, threw bricks, or started fires. So that helped.

Probably getting in the faces of a line of police after curfew was really dumb.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Oddly enough, I've never been injured at any protest. In fairness I've only been to one, locally, regarding Bill C-69 and 48....Kenney was there talking. And nobody broke windows, threw bricks, or started fires. So that helped.

Probably getting in the faces of a line of police after curfew was really dumb.
But you aren't a career agitator out to create a scene for the cameras. That does make a difference.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
But you aren't a career agitator .
Uh.....
Old 06-05-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Not going to help their cause?

I hate to say it, but law enforcement don't have a cause or an agenda. 99.9% are there because it's a job, no more, no less. They, like every other occupation, want to go to work to pay the bills, and come home safe at the end of the day to their families. Geeze, some of them might have taken the job because they are good people and want to help others. When bad things happen or are happening to people, who do they call? The government, celebrities, influencers, the media? Nope they call 911, and no matter how crappy the situation is, police/fire/ambulance will be there to help out. I've had very few interactions with law enforcement and they have all been amicable, it might have something to do with being polite and law abiding. It's not a job for me, but I respect what they do.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
But you aren't a career agitator out to create a scene for the cameras. That does make a difference.
Quote:
Uh.....
Hey now....my agitatin' is of an entirely different nature. I try and provoke those with mis-firing synapse back to rationality.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Indeed it wasn’t his primary duty and I could certainly identify his lack of training. Hopefully his squad commander chews his arse out for breaking ranks and creating a weak spot in the line that could have potentially put the entire squad in danger.

As for the rest of the unit not slowing down......good on them for remaining professional and mission focused.