Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 09:23 PM

Default Introductory Hunting Rifle

So I just received my PAL/RPAL earlier this year and I just completed the hunters ed course today. COVID-19 has given me plenty of time over the past few months to break in my .17 hmr with gophers but I want to get into some big game this fall. I am seeking advice on what a good rifle would be in .270 or .308 Winchester as my introductory hunting rifle. I am currently a student at university so budget is a little tighter than I would hope. I'd like to try to keep it under 1000$ (give or take), scope included or the wife may get upset.
So lay it on me, what are your recommendations?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 PM

Well for the 308 vs 270... both are great.
Your going to get into the Ford vs chevy talk on that question.
I have had both. Liked them both.

For rifles in that range.
Savages above axis models shoot great, the finish leaves a bit to be desired. All mine would rust fast in any near damp conditions.

Tikkas are great. I have a stainless and it goes out in rain all the time and comes back looking new.

Both shoot great and will outshoot you for a long time.

Toss a leupold vx1 or 2 on it and call it a day.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Go grab some basspro gift cards on the 10% off right now, then wait till they have the tikka on sale, get an extra 10% off that way.
They come up every couple weeks.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Tossed this question out to a buddy of mine who is a tinkerer extraordinaire. He has owned almost everything and knows a thing or two about getting a good deal.

Here's what he had to say:

The deadly Remington 783. Accurate as f. Essentially a savage clone but actually accurate out of the box. Buy a vortex diamondback and he'll be out the door around 750 or 8

I personally shoot a tikka in 270 win. Love it but it's expensive...even used. I would advise spending as much on the optics and solid mounts as possible. I'd recommend buying a used scope to max out the quality that your money will buy. Burris, leupold and vortex have some good options.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 PM

As mentioned a Savage with scope be around $500. Ok starter as mentioned. Another option to watch the Buy Sell section here on AO and CGN for used. Sako A7 with the Burris scope pkg In either caliber would be good.Tikka T3 as well

Good luck
Old 06-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Forgot to mention that I'd recommend a scope power of at least 12. My first scope was a 3x9 and it wasn't enough magnification for me personally. I own a 4x16 and a 3x15 now on my centerfire rifles.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 PM

270 win will do everything you need to put meat in the freezer, I have bigger calibers but they haven’t been “needed” to put game on the ground. I say go with the 270 and when you want to go bigger, keep the 270 then add a 300 mag or bigger. I did it the other way got a 338 first then a 270, I have used the 338 the most as I really like it. What ever you buy, practice with it and get used to it.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:18 PM

There are lots of good deals out there some are right here on the exchange!
Anything like a 6.5 creedmoor,308, 270, etc will do just fine.
Savages shoot great,the Remington 783 is another great economy rifle.
At times you can pick up an older 700, 788, or 721 Remington, model 70 Winchester, etc for a great deal.
As far as scopes go, many of us shoot low power scopes either 4X or fixed 6X and I have never felt under scoped at an animal I was shooting at under 400 meters, just make sure you know how to shoot before taking those longer shots..
Most animals are killed well within 200 meters so don't buy into the big power, turret type scopes, you won't need them.
Cat
Old 06-04-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Rifle

I wouldnt worry about cartridge.
Any 6.5, 7, 30 cal, or similar will work great.
There is a cz537 on gun nutz for 725.00 shipped. It's a beautiful rifle. A first rifle that would be worthy of passing down to your kids. You shoul buy it so I dont have to. If you dont have a gunnutz account pm me and I can put you in contact with seller.
It's a early cz 550. But it has nice wood!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:32 PM

The cz is in 30-06. And one more piece of advise.
Listen to cat!
Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 AM

7mm-08 or 30-06
Old 06-05-2020, 06:59 AM

The best value would be a lightly used rifle/scope combo, you if you shop around, you can find a Tikka or a Vanguard with a decent scope for your budget. There is actually a new unfired 270win Vanguard that has been in the Buy&Sell for a while now, you can always make an offer.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The best value would be a lightly used rifle/scope combo, you if you shop around, you can find a Tikka or a Vanguard with a decent scope for your budget. There is actually a new unfired 270win Vanguard that has been in the Buy&Sell for a while now, you can always make an offer.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337936

Would be a fine choice
Old 06-05-2020, 07:35 AM

Just my 2 cents. You are better off to buy a quality used gun than a low end new one.

Get one with a quality composite stock like Bell and Carlson, or a wood stocked rifle in good condition. If you find one with a Leupold on it you should give it some consideration. Oh and a .270 will serve you well.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:07 AM

Either cartridge will do you fine in AB. I wouldn't pick up an economy model rifle (Remington 783, Savage Axis, Ruger American, etc) that's just me though...

Here's a Tikka in 7-08 with a bushnell elite 3200 for $1000

7-08 would also be a completely suitable cartridge for hunting in AB. I love my Tikkas, you can't go wrong.

Whatever you do decide to pick up though, practice often and be as proficient as you can with your rifle. Know how your rifle shoots and you'll be laughing!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Your in a buyers market so take your time....people need cash now.....good luck as deals are there.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-05-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Go grab some basspro gift cards on the 10% off right now, then wait till they have the tikka on sale, get an extra 10% off that way.
They come up every couple weeks.
You can buy gift cards at a 10% discount? I thought stores excluded gift cards from discount sales. I have seen disclaimers before stating: 30% off everything in store (exceptions: X items, already discounted items, "gift cards" (are usually on this list)). Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by WeaselBeard; 06-05-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a question mark
Old 06-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
You can buy gift cards at a 10% discount? I thought stores excluded gift cards from discount sales. I have seen disclaimers before stating: 30% off everything in store (exceptions: X items, already discounted items, "gift cards" (are usually on this list)). Thanks for the tip.
Cabela’s for sure is advertising 10% off gift cards this weekend.

Cartridge, don’t worry about it to much. Whatever you can get easily will work, as long as you’re legal. I shot my first buck with a 243, and I’ve shot deer with 308. They hit the dirt just the same.
Never owned one but I fiddled with an Axis for a bit. Not for me. I did pick up a 783 in 7mm Rem Mag. I like it so far. Next would be my Kimber in 308 but that’s normally in my sons hands now. So I grab a Remington 700.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:53 PM

7mm-08, .270, .30-06 Savage axis very accurate for the price.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:21 PM

IMHO you are far better off buying a decent quality used combo (Tikka, Win 70, Ruger 77, older Rem 700, even Vanguard, for example) than a new economy rifle. Should be easy enough to find here on the buy and sell...

Plus you will shoot better when you don't have to wear a bag over your head in shame!
Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM

Default New rifle

You may think you know what you want for a hunting rifle but things mostly will change over the years - I am diagnosed with chronic GAS\MGPD (gun acquisition syndrome\multiple gun personality dissorder).

It's been really hard on my marriage but she's learning to be less of a b*tch about it.

If you can conquer your fears, I would consider looking for a used rifle on the equipment exchange here or Cgn, or even townpost. You will save at least 20% if you do your part.

Most guns on the equipment exchange are there because people buy guns and realize they really aren't into that particular chambering\configuration or don't have enough time for it. A lot of times, it's because a new cartridge in 6.5 has been released. I'm in the works with Hornady to develop a 270 creedmoor - it's basically a 270 but with a 2° shoulder change, a shorter neck, and the creedmoor stamping. The best part is that it's flatter than the 270 win by .5 inches at 1000 yards. Now that's forward thinking eh?!? it's a bullet proof idea. Pun intended
Anyway, I digress.

The risk is that you may not always know what gun you're getting; people abuse them, work em hard and put them away wet. I've seen people at the gun range cool their barrels by plunging it into the snow banks followed by a self-defecate into their tactical pants.

My rule of thumb is spend more than half your budget on your scope first, and then spend your remaining budget on the BOLT rifle. Your optics are the most important piece of equipment in the field. Anyone who says otherwise is a barrel plunger ^

Go to your local gun shop, ask the salesman to let you fondle a few rifles and see what fits in your hands the best. If the salesman is being lazy and hesitant about it, go to the next gun shop. If they try and tell you that one is better than the other because it's chambered in 6.5 and not 270 or 308, ask him if he plunges his barrel or wears diapers.

Savage axis, Remington 783, Ruger American - they will go bang every time and put bullets on paper just as much as any other rifle would. The big differences are fit and finish. You may get the occasional bad shooter from the budget rifle but the fancier rifles are not immune to a poor assembly either. As mentioned before, it's a Ford vs Chevy debate at this point. I've had stainless Tikka's come from the factory with rust on the bottom, WeatherBug vanguard's that didn't shoot their sub moa guarantee, and I've also had 783:s shoot clover leafs with cheap factory ammo.

There is no such thing as the best all around rifle cartridge or the best rifle.
Each cartridge and rifle has an application in which it will excel in.

Except the 270 creedmoor. Guys, you have no idea.

As for the inferior 308 and 270;

On average, A 270 will hit harder at 500yds by about 100ft-lbs but at 100 yds, the 308 hits harder by 100ft-lb. The 270 Catches up with the 308 around the 400yd mark.

The 270 will be flying much flatter than the 308 at all ranges after maximum point blank

Enjoy this massive overflow of information.
I apologise for throwing everything out there at once.
And as I've mentioned before, take my own advice with a grain of salt.
This will be your hunting set-up
Not mine.

Best of luck.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Some great tips so far.

Like many others have said duds come in all brands occasionally. Pump out x number if rifles and there is bound to be a quality control problem out there, and now with the internet it can make it seem like that's all the company puts out.

My dud was a expensive rifle in my eyes, my el cheapo rifle (Stevens 200) outshot it any day of the week by a lot! I am not mentioning the brand name of the expensive one because like I said duds happen.

Some great deals for used or even unused on CGN and here right now.

For a new hunter my tip would be NOT to buy a magnum if you have budget constraints at all. You wont be shooting out with them to where they take over a 270 or 30-06 on game ethically, and you can buy a whole lot more rounds if you dont reload and practice more with the non magnums.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:39 PM

When I was a new hunter, I didn't have the skills to see potential problems with a used gun, and I had bought plenty of other used stuff, cars etc. I got a POS Savage 110 in 270 that failed in the field on me many times. Out of cash, I bought a tired Lee Enfield and hunted with it and iron sites for a few years before being able to replace the Savage with another modern scoped rifle. What I'm suggesting is that if buying used, get from someone you can trust or from a shop that can back their product. Or long time AO member with good reviews.
Marstar has a sale on Sabatti rifles and last I checked, there were some in 270 & 308. Tradex has a pile of used European rifles and some new stuff too. I have bought from both of these shops online and have great service. And there are a bunch of good shops here in Alberta.
My 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:35 PM

I have bought used guns fro RM Guns in Okatoks. Leroy has some good deals check him out.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:41 PM

Default 270 win

should be able to get a used tikka t3 with a leupold 3-9x for that budget .
Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are lots of good deals out there some are right here on the exchange!

Anything like a 6.5 creedmoor,308, 270, etc will do just fine.

Savages shoot great,the Remington 783 is another great economy rifle.

At times you can pick up an older 700, 788, or 721 Remington, model 70 Winchester, etc for a great deal.

As far as scopes go, many of us shoot low power scopes either 4X or fixed 6X and I have never felt under scoped at an animal I was shooting at under 400 meters, just make sure you know how to shoot before taking those longer shots..

Most animals are killed well within 200 meters so don't buy into the big power, turret type scopes, you won't need them.

Cat
Exactly 3 by 9 is as high as I would go on the beginning gun ,are a 4 to 6 fix power

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Inthibknthere3 might not
Be an introductory hunting rifle....
Buy one good one and it’ll be all you need ...ever.
Although we all like lots of guns all we need is one.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:55 PM

Any question like this gets a wide range of responses but if you choose a common, medium power cartridge in any of the rifles mentioned, and the best scope you can afford, you won't go far wrong. Use it for a while, burn a few hundred rounds and it will give you a reference/starting point to help decide on your next rifle once you want to specialize one way or another.
I wouldn't agonize over it too much, there's no perfect rifle and as long as you stay within reasonable boundaries on price, condition, and chambering, not too many bad ones either.
Good luck.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
IMHO you are far better off buying a decent quality used combo (Tikka, Win 70, Ruger 77, older Rem 700, even Vanguard, for example) than a new economy rifle. Should be easy enough to find here on the buy and sell...
Completely agree. Then go and pick up a used Leupold 2-7x33 or 3-9x40 for $200-400 and you are golden. I’ll add that I really like the Husqvarna’s as well, that CZ that was mentioned would be great too.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 AM

Lots of good advice. I have a Tikka T3X. It’s great. In laws have T3’s. They are also great. But lots of good gun choices mentioned. The caliber is a pick em.

If you need to save on the scope, consider a Nikon. They are getting out of the game, but don’t let that fool you. I have a set of Monarch 5 binocs that are 9 years old and it has been great. I’m using a prostaff 7 scope and I’m very happy with it. In its price range I got far better value than the entry level leupold; however that was new in box. Used you can get some great deals that will give you choices, but just food for thought.

I know somebody who uses a basic Nikon prostaff 3-9x50 that he got at cabelas, and it works just fine! $200 scope and does job fine.

Buy once cry once is so true in scopes, but you can go through a few seasons fine with a Nikon then buy that Leupold/Swarovski/Zeiss/Nightforce and have it last a lifetime.

Are you really going to shoot past 300 yards on your first deer? Not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk