Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Pontoon boats frame or frameless

Lots of pontoon posts so sorry for one more.

I am Looking to start floating the bow. I already own a fish cat tube which I use on lakes so this is mainly river only. Possibly larger lakes as well if I got a trolling motor.

I would like room for my lab if she can be good on it. 55 lbs.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:38 PM

All I can say is when we arrive at the lake my buddy is fishing a good 30 minutes ahead of me with his frameless Scadden. Basically pump and run. I don't/can't transport assembled so me and the Outcast are bumbling around on shore for awhile.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 PM

If you have the means to transport a pontoon boat assembled the framed are better. Mine is always assembled with everything attached so it only needs to be inflated to be ready, it fits folded in the pickup bed. I had both and kept the framed boat. More places to store and attach stuff like anchor pulleys, rod holders, a deck for the dog, oar rests, and fish finders. If you are only floating rivers then it won't matter as much, but I can row much harder in the framed boat, and with less flex at the oar locks it was more efficient. The frameless boats have less adjustment for rowing position and you can hit your knees if too tall. Lastly, most framed boats don't have a foot bar, making it easier to get in and out wearing flippers. I chose the four pontoon Outcast for the lower profile to the wind and safety factor with four air chambers, you are still floating if one leaks.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM

Should have mentioned that i do have a truck for transport.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 AM

I had both framed outcast & no frame Scadden.I am a big man,with a small dog.That fishes & is a damn good spotter.So my framed ,with mtr,battery,dog,my fat ass.Was not a very safe situation.Hence the Scadden.Hype was it could carry 800 lbs.So that was solved Place for the buddy,gear,battery.But ****ty mtr mount. Cost was about $400 more.Oars were to short imo. Dog always seemed to end up going for a swim in the Scadden[excited,slide of the toons] Seating preferred the outcast..Scadden also was able to handle level 4 water conditions,doubtful with the outcast.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:50 AM

i have the scadden renegade,i had an out cast a framed ,a while ago wheni had my truck,downsized to a small suv type,got the scadden in 2014 had many many trips on the bow ,the castle ,oldman etc,and tons of lakes , never had a problem except as mentioned the oars seemed way to short for me and i am only 5 7',i got a pair of the carbon fiber ones i think they are about 6-6' and much better ,the key in rowing the frameless is short strokes,you will not out pace a framed pontoon on the water ,but you have about a 20/30 min head start on a framed boat, plus so much lighter for me to pick up and carry it ,they all have there place ,but for me the frameless is the only way to go,scadden claims of class 5 or what ever he said is imo,way over rated ,but there is nothing on the bow that it cant handle with ease ,i have always felt safe in it ,i think because you sit so low compared to a framed boat,just my humble opinion.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Boats

Have had both for out and out comfort prefer the the framed models currently use fish cat 4 for any quick forays to lakes that require walking first .... on bigger lakes I like the security of my quad chambered outcast which I can mount my 26lb Honda 2hp on and I also like this on the river with 7 foot carbon Sawyers. I think both brands and types have their merit and it comes down to transport which because I have a truck boat is always assembled prior to outing and I have a wheel when I am by myself for launching..... As far as intangibles go I never had any issues with my Scadden while I owned it but I have heard of issues with backing of the product when issues arise which is never a concern with Outcast
Old 05-30-2020, 07:15 PM

I have an arrow backpacker that I've had for almost 10 years now. It's been awesome. Definitely no room for a lab on that thing tho 😂
Old 06-01-2020, 09:06 AM

If you are considering a frameless pontoon, you should also look at the Outcast Stealth Pro. It is similar in size and weight to the Scadden Renegade and should have enough room for your dog. The "Integrated Gear System" on the Stealth Pro provides a number of spots behind the seats for mounting additional, storage bags, rod holders, anchor locks and even a trolling motor mount.

I also have had both an 7' - 6" framed Fish Cat Streamer XL and a frameless Fish Cat Scout pontoon. I used the Streamer XL for a year before getting a great deal on a used Scout. With a 60 year old back I quickly appreciated the fact that the frameless Scout was 1/2 the weight of framed Streamer XL. I've been using the Scout for 3 years for stillwater fishing, with and without a trolling motor.

The oars on the Scout and Stealth Pro are similar to the Scadden and my comments would be the same as previous posters. Once I got used to taking shorter strokes, the oars were fine. I wouldn't hesitate to go down the Bow with the Scout as is, although I'd probably also look at longer oars if I was to float more challenging rivers. My Scout is an earlier model without the Integrated Gear System mounts so I use more Scotty strap-on and glue-on mounts for my Scout. I was easily able to mount the same gear on the Scout as I had on the Streamer XL. I even made a strap-on trolling motor mount for the Scout from 3/4" PVC. I carry the Scout partially inflated in the back of my Honda Ridgeline right now but will also be downsizing to an SUV in the future.

There's a decent review on the Stealth Pro on the Outcast website. As well, there are a number of threads on the Stealth Pro on the Washington Fly Fishing forums. This is one thread from a guy using his Stealth Pro for rivers.
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hreads/151395/

Good luck in your search!
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 The Grube river SMALL.jpg (110.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Current Setup.jpg (43.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM

FrameLess boats have two issues.

1) oar locks rip off over time.

2) oar locks wear quickly.

Both of these occur if you fish a lot.

My framed boat has had the plastic oar inserts replaced once, the brass oar locks worn oval and replaced twice. I’ve machined oar inserts for others with the same problem.

I have a Scadden Escape as well with pathetic oars and that wouldn’t want to take onto lakes like Police.

Don
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 AM

Default Outcast

Hi everyone, well my pontoon has a slow leek after many years. I called Al the Edmonton rep to find a replacement bladder. His VM said business as usual however no call back after 3 attempts. Too bad I will be switching brands for my new pontoon.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploits View Post
Hi everyone, well my pontoon has a slow leek after many years. I called Al the Edmonton rep to find a replacement bladder. His VM said business as usual however no call back after 3 attempts. Too bad I will be switching brands for my new pontoon.
For repairs, see:

http://automarine.ca/

Don
Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 PM

Default Covid Times

I imagine any sort of warranty will be an issue right now because of Covid I know none of the rod companies are accepting any warranty repairs at this point I would send Outcast a email directly but they may be shutdown right now due to covid You might give the Fishin Hole a call as they stock a lot of replacement straps etc for Outcast
Old 06-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis57 View Post
If you are considering a frameless pontoon, you should also look at the Outcast Stealth Pro. It is similar in size and weight to the Scadden Renegade and should have enough room for your dog. The "Integrated Gear System" on the Stealth Pro provides a number of spots behind the seats for mounting additional, storage bags, rod holders, anchor locks and even a trolling motor mount.

I also have had both an 7' - 6" framed Fish Cat Streamer XL and a frameless Fish Cat Scout pontoon. I used the Streamer XL for a year before getting a great deal on a used Scout. With a 60 year old back I quickly appreciated the fact that the frameless Scout was 1/2 the weight of framed Streamer XL. I've been using the Scout for 3 years for stillwater fishing, with and without a trolling motor.

The oars on the Scout and Stealth Pro are similar to the Scadden and my comments would be the same as previous posters. Once I got used to taking shorter strokes, the oars were fine. I wouldn't hesitate to go down the Bow with the Scout as is, although I'd probably also look at longer oars if I was to float more challenging rivers. My Scout is an earlier model without the Integrated Gear System mounts so I use more Scotty strap-on and glue-on mounts for my Scout. I was easily able to mount the same gear on the Scout as I had on the Streamer XL. I even made a strap-on trolling motor mount for the Scout from 3/4" PVC. I carry the Scout partially inflated in the back of my Honda Ridgeline right now but will also be downsizing to an SUV in the future.

There's a decent review on the Stealth Pro on the Outcast website. As well, there are a number of threads on the Stealth Pro on the Washington Fly Fishing forums. This is one thread from a guy using his Stealth Pro for rivers.
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...hreads/151395/

Good luck in your search!
Ken
I’m selling one of these. Great little boat, just miss not having a canoe.