Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up TC Venture 300 Win Mag

Well....just received my new Thompson/Centre Venture chambered in 300 Win Mag. I am quite impressed with the rifle and it seems to compare favourably with other much higher priced rifles I looked at. The action is very smooth. Build quality is certainly above other rifles in this price category. I had a 3-9x 40mm VX-II scope mounted on it.

The proof will be in the shoooting when I get out to sight it in this weekend.

Anyone else have an experience with this new model from TC yet? Any recommended ammo?

Thx,
Diggs

PS Thanks to all that contributed to my earlier postings seeking advise on selecting a calibre.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 AM

I have handled one, and am impressed with the quality for the money. If I needed a rifle, I would certainly take a hard look at it.

I am sure it will work very well for you.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
sheephunter

T/C has done this before....bring out an expensive new rifle and then a few years down the road, bring out a much lower priced version of basically the same thing. The Icon is without question one of the most accurate off-the-shelf rifles out there and no reason the Venture shouldn't be either.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Default TC Venture is a tack driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
T/C has done this before....bring out an expensive new rifle and then a few years down the road, bring out a much lower priced version of basically the same thing. The Icon is without question one of the most accurate off-the-shelf rifles out there and no reason the Venture shouldn't be either.
Well...after having a bull moose walk across the highway 75 yards in front of me this afternoon while my rookie hunting buddy fumbled with his rifle, clip and trigger lock, I decided I better get my Venture dialed in as it had only been bore sighted by Udo at Fly's.

I have been recovering from some abdominal surgery just ten days ago and I have been reluctant to subject my tender innards/incisions to the sledge hammer recoil I was expecting from the 300 Win Mag at the range.

My first group at 100 yds was 15" high and 3 inches left but in a tight 1.5" diameter group. My second group was 1.5 inch low with two dead centre but I pulled my third shot about 3" right. My final group I was 1" high, dead on windage with two shots making a ragged hole and the third just under an inch away at 7 oclock.

I am very impressed with the Venture and felt the recoil to be very reasonable. Action is nice and smooth, trigger pull light and crisp. Gun balance and feel is excellent. The only beef I have is the clip...it is plastic and I am wondering how it will stand up to loading in -30 winter hunting!

I was shooting Federal Power-Shok 180 grain Speer Hot-Cor SP ammo into a steady 15km direct head wind.

Very pleased with my decision to get the T/C Venture.

Diggs
Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info. It is an interesting gun, especially for the money. I would suspect the clip will be fine, but let us know if there is a problem.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
sheephunter

The clip isn't plastic but a polymer that many manufacturers are using these days. So far it seems extremely durable.