Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Crossbows be Included in Archery Only Season?
NO, I am a Bowhunter Only 27 3.97%
No, I am a Rifle Hunter Only 28 4.12%
No, I am a Bowhunter & Rifle Hunter 305 44.85%
Yes, I am a Bowhunter Only 7 1.03%
Yes, I am a Rifle Hunter Only 83 12.21%
Yes, I am a Bowhunter & Rifle Hunter 207 30.44%
Neutral 23 3.38%
Voters: 680. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Default Should Crossbows be Allowed in Archery Only Season? 2ND POLL!

Due to a poor explanation on my part numerous people did not understand the last poll that I had posted. Therefore, I have deleted that one and this is the second poll on the same subject. Hopefully, I have explained this one well enough so everyone will understand it.

Please read the instructions about the poll.

SRD Alberta is currently conducting an email survey of hunters to determine the success rates for the tags that were purchased. The last question on the survey asks if you thought whether or not crossbows should be included in the Archery Only Season.

The question explains that increased hunter participation and success rates could lead to tags that are now general moving to a draw system.

Your reply choices were: Yes, No, Neutral

In the interests of how different types of hunters will vote, I have included several options. Please select the one that best describes your type of hunting NOW along with your vote.

Select your vote (YES, NO or NEUTRAL) to allowing crossbow use during Archery Only Season AND the option that best suits the way that you presently hunt (I am a Rifle Hunter Only, I am a Bowhunter Only or I am a Bowhunter & Rifle Hunter). For example, if you want to vote YES and you now only hunt with a rifle, then select YES, I AM A RIFLE HUNTER ONLY.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Well, this poll seems to be going a bit better.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Banned

Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM

Why not have the same group identifiers for those that vote "neutral"? Would be interesting to see if they are all rifle hunters only, or whether some bow or crossbow hunters also don't really care.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Why not have the same group identifiers for those that vote "neutral"? Would be interesting to see if they are all rifle hunters only, or whether some bow or crossbow hunters also don't really care.
The short answer is because I'm afraid to touch it.

You have no idea how hard of a time I had just getting this poll right. It took me 3 tries and when I finally got the poll going, I didn't explain it well enough and it was too complicated for allot of people to understand. I decided to scrap that one and I asked Rockymtnx to delete it, which he did. This poll seems to be going allot better so I don't want to touch it.

You could always start another poll strictly for the people that voted neutral.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Could be a tight race yet...and who knows how the govt will react to the numbers.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Given the ratio of rifle hunters to bow hunters, I'm a little surprised at how few people that voted don't hunt with a rifle only. I thought that there'd be allot more than that. The vast majority of the people that voted on the poll so far hunt with both a rifle and a bow. I suppose that it might have something to do with the type of people that would frequent and be a member of AO. Interesting results so far!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 AM

Default Good Post.

Too bad you never had this post up 10 days ago it would of eliminated all the ****ing,moaning & aruging on both sides. Good post to the point and just answer the question, Like it,thanks for posting.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The short answer is because I'm afraid to touch it.

You have no idea how hard of a time I had just getting this poll right. It took me 3 tries and when I finally got the poll going, I didn't explain it well enough and it was too complicated for allot of people to understand. I decided to scrap that one and I asked Rockymtnx to delete it, which he did. This poll seems to be going allot better so I don't want to touch it.

You could always start another poll strictly for the people that voted neutral.
LOL OK Dave, leave it as it is.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Surprised at the poll so far-results. Does any one know how many relm sent out to alberta hunters and are they going to tell us the results?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM
sheephunter

Supposed to be 56,000 I think but their track record at actually getting them out seems to be a bit suspect.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Supposed to be 56,000 I think but their track record at actually getting them out seems to be a bit suspect.
Thanks Sheep.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:57 AM

I wonder how many folks in the poll have a crosbow, or have used one. I was under the impression they were a 100 yard weapon until I read up a bit on them. I got a smoking deal on one from a guy who bought it at an Elk Foundation banquet and never used it. I carry it sometimes when I hunt with my wife or daughter in case I might get a crack at a WT doe. Haven't had any success so far. Easy to shoot, hard to reload in a self climbing type tree stand, doesn't shoot any farther than my compound.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Personally I don't have any objections with regards to people using crossbows during the archery season, like someone said earlier, its still a different kinda hunt and most people simply won't want to work that hard...

I'm just not a fan of them imposing a draw on what are now general tags... but it is what it is, I cast my opinion with the govy, now just let them make their decision and I'll live with it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM
whitetalehunter12

This entire argument of weather or not to use crossbows during archery season is just......im not going to say it. A crossbow is NOT A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!! it is no more effective than a compound bow and does not have a longer range. the only advantage is that you may be able to hold it more steady. but that is ALL!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

Doesn't anyone else here hunt with only a rifle or a crossbow?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:43 AM

Default Probly

Probably, but they are all at figureskating practice! Ha!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Banned

Yeah, I guess that 27 years in the Army will do that to ya.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Bump to top for those who didn't get to vote the first time around.

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Banned

Sure why not?
They let those other contraptions in and called em bows...

Seriously... I don't care.

Other than being perhaps a poachers best friend... they are all the same to me and every weapon is subject to abuses in the hands of those who wield them.

Could be a real game changer though... might have to re-think the whole season if they are effective as some folks say.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Opinions are like what?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 PM

btt
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Seriously... I don't care.

Other than being perhaps a poachers best friend... they are all the same to me and every weapon is subject to abuses in the hands of those who wield them.

Could be a real game changer though... might have to re-think the whole season if they are effective as some folks say.
You should care. Poachers best friend lol. Yes, why not, you don't have to be highly skilled to operate a crossbow.

Oh yeah, don't believe the naysayers declaring they are not as effective as a bow. A highly skilled archer will always outscore an offhand crossbow shooter. But not everyone is a highly skilled archer are they?. A crossbow in the hands of a novice will get the job done without any of the investment that an archer puts into developing.
I am opposed to them being used in the archery season, but I fear the end in nigh. Remember when blacks had to sit at the back of the bus? That was an example of the right thing to change. In this "inclusive" era many changes come about not because it's right, but because of minority activism. We are told we must tolerate, accept, make concessions. What was once good is now bad, what was bad is now good.

I've hunted with a bow for near 25 years and killed many animals. I own a crossbow. The day that crossbows are allowed in the archery season I will be in a treestand with my crossbow because I know it is a superior tool for stand hunting. I could have filled tag after tag after tag with a crossbow that I did not and could not, with a bow. That is a fact.

Game changer? You bet Pesky. Once changed there is no going back. The minority activism wants what they want now, no consideration for the looming lack of opportunity for everyone.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 PM

Sure lets allow crossbows in the archery season, then we can put general whitetail tags on special draw just like the new archery muledeer draw,because so many more people will start bow hunting they will certainly wipe out the whitetail herd just like the muledeer bowhunters have done!(what a joke). Then we can kiss another hunting opportunity goodbye.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM

The goal of SRD is to eventually have everything on draw so they can "manage" everything.

LC
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
You should care. Poachers best friend lol. Yes, why not, you don't have to be highly skilled to operate a crossbow.

Oh yeah, don't believe the naysayers declaring they are not as effective as a bow. A highly skilled archer will always outscore an offhand crossbow shooter. But not everyone is a highly skilled archer are they?. A crossbow in the hands of a novice will get the job done without any of the investment that an archer puts into developing.
I am opposed to them being used in the archery season, but I fear the end in nigh. Remember when blacks had to sit at the back of the bus? That was an example of the right thing to change. In this "inclusive" era many changes come about not because it's right, but because of minority activism. We are told we must tolerate, accept, make concessions. What was once good is now bad, what was bad is now good.

I've hunted with a bow for near 25 years and killed many animals. I own a crossbow. The day that crossbows are allowed in the archery season I will be in a treestand with my crossbow because I know it is a superior tool for stand hunting. I could have filled tag after tag after tag with a crossbow that I did not and could not, with a bow. That is a fact.

Game changer? You bet Pesky. Once changed there is no going back. The minority activism wants what they want now, no consideration for the looming lack of opportunity for everyone.
Bows in general have long been a poachers best friend.
Its a limited and fairly lonely season and a silent weapon.
IIRC at one time... owning one could get you hung... and for that exact reason.

I recall that the first year we had a bow season back home... a lot of deer started showing up in city limits with arrows in em.
A lot of old time poachers zero'd in on them right away... for the same reasons that legit guys zero'd in.

My point is that every time we make an allowance for the use of something... we must also consider the down side of that.
Bows, crossbows, game cameras, camoflage, scent cover etc.... the reasons we want them are the same reasons poachers want em... they improve odds of success or help us avoid detection.

In my mind the biggest problem bow hunters have is how popular it has become.... not what is used to launch that projectile.

Change the tag system to remove any percieved advantage to bow hunting and whether or not a few guys choose to use a crossbow or not... will matter much much less.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The goal of SRD is to eventually have everything on draw so they can "manage" everything.

LC
X2