Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 PM

Question Early Ice Fishing Questions

I'd like to get out to try some early ice fishing this year. I've only ever been ice fishing in the late winter months when the ice was thick enough to drive on, but this year I want to get out there as many times as I possibly can to make use of some new gear. And with the recent cold weather and reports from other people getting out there, I think now would be a good time to try. I was just wondering if any experienced people have any good advice to share about it. I am going to be purchasing a set of ice spikes before I go out, I will have a rope, and I would just be walking out pulling a sled. Should I get a spud bar? Or just bring the eskimo auger with me? I'm thinking ice is probably thick enough by now that I'd want the auger. Any other suggestions for things to bring to keep me safe on the ice?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 AM

For early ice, up to 12" thick, all you need is a hand-auger of 6" diameter. That will allow you to drill lots of holes quickly, and more importantly it allows you to travel very light -- with just what you can carry in your hands plus in a backpack. You won't want to travel long distances like that, but for getting 100 metres to a few hundred metres offshore to try some early ice-fishing, it sure beats hauling out a sled and a power-auger.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Best advise I can give you is to drill lots of test holes on your way out to your spot to test ice quality. Just because your last hole was good does not mean its safe where you are standing. Bring a buddy along with you just in case you end up needing a rescue.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM

If you don't own a hand auger then I would look at getting a spud bar. They can make quick work of a few inches of ice but are also useful for opening old holes. 3-4 consecutive hits will usually break through 4 inches of ice so you know what you are travelling on.

As long as there is a layer of snow on top of the ice the spikes (cleats) are not necessary, although they are nice to have.

If you are new to early ice as you say I would consider taking a buddy, or at the very least let someone know the details of your trip in case you run into trouble. A pair of ice picks around your neck is cheap insurance too. (This is probably what you were referring to as spikes, not the cleats like I was thinking of!)

Most small lakes freeze with a relatively even layer of ice but larger lakes do not. Last year at Pigeon lake I found the ice thickness to vary quite a bit. 18 inches in some spots and only 10 inches a few feet over. I think it was due to the wind and weird freeze cycles we had but you can never be too sure. No ice is safe ice!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM

I just use an axe until about a foot thick then I'll use my gas auger.

Works for testing the ice too. 2 or 3 hard chops, if you don't reach water then keep going till you get to your spot.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think my Dad and I are going to check out Cross Lake and Long Island Lake on Friday. Hopefully we'll find the Perch!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Best advise I can give you is to drill lots of test holes on your way out to your spot to test ice quality. Just because your last hole was good does not mean its safe where you are standing. Bring a buddy along with you just in case you end up needing a rescue.
Agreed. First 50m on wabamun last week was a confidence inspiring 6-7" of good quality ice...got past a couple 'wake breaks" and it was down to 4" of good with 1-1/2" - 2" white and that was only about 100m from shore
Be careful
Old 12-02-2019, 11:51 PM

Absolutely, I will be dilligent about checking the thickness as I'm walking out. I'll be grabbing a spud bar for the trip and some ice picks for us both, just in case. But if the ice is less than 5", we won't chance going any further.