Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Can knives enter Canada from Europe

I want to place an order for a knife from Finland. Do the Federalis permit its import?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:39 PM

You can import knives from anywhere in the world providing that it is not a prohibited weapon ie: balisongs/butterfly knives, gravity knives, punch daggers, automatic, there’s more but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Now if it’s a folder with thumbstuds/holes or assisted or able to open with one hand it might get seized at the border by customs, fixed blades are fine but you’ll probably get charged duty fees.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I want to place an order for a knife from Finland. Do the Federalis permit its import?
Nice! Are you getting a Martiini?
My Finnishfriend sent me one as a Christmas gift several years ago and it is a very good blade!
Cat
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nice! Are you getting a Martiini?
My Finnishfriend sent me one as a Christmas gift several years ago and it is a very good blade!
Cat

Yes chief

I want a Carbon steel blade about 4" long with a solid wood handle.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Are you looking for something like this
They ship from Vancouver

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/M...Leather_Sheath
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Suitcase or Postal service?

My father has offered to give me one of his Kukris from when he with the army and in Nepal for a while. He is in the UK, would it be okay to bring it back in a suitcase on a flight or would you recommend packing it up and shipping it via postal service?

Worried it might go missing in a suitcase as you hear stories of cases being raided, also slightly concerned about the wood and leather sheath being damaged if on a prolonged postage route.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post

Yes. I bought puukko from lamnia.fi and received it with no issues.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_randall View Post
My father has offered to give me one of his Kukris from when he with the army and in Nepal for a while. He is in the UK, would it be okay to bring it back in a suitcase on a flight or would you recommend packing it up and shipping it via postal service?

Worried it might go missing in a suitcase as you hear stories of cases being raided, also slightly concerned about the wood and leather sheath being damaged if on a prolonged postage route.

Any suggestions?
In hold luggage it is fine. Done a few trips out to Canada from the UK and never had any issues, although when I came through Montreal this year the customs guy was pretty clueless about all things hunting. He was looking to see what category my hunting knife (with a 4” blade) went into on the prohibited list. I told him its not prohibited so surely wouldn't be on a list, otherwise the list would have to include all the things n the world. I was told to keep quiet, until his supervisor came over and asked what I was still doing stood there, to which the supervisor said, 'it would be a pretty big list if non-prohibited items were all listed too' to which I giggled.

You'll be fine in checked luggage at both ends.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolopax-munster View Post
In hold luggage it is fine. Done a few trips out to Canada from the UK and never had any issues, although when I came through Montreal this year the customs guy was pretty clueless about all things hunting. He was looking to see what category my hunting knife (with a 4” blade) went into on the prohibited list. I told him its not prohibited so surely wouldn't be on a list, otherwise the list would have to include all the things n the world. I was told to keep quiet, until his supervisor came over and asked what I was still doing stood there, to which the supervisor said, 'it would be a pretty big list if non-prohibited items were all listed too' to which I giggled.

You'll be fine in checked luggage at both ends.

Thanks very much!
Old 11-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Yes

I ordered one from Austria. I would inquire on the method of shipping, and get ready to pay some potential import fees when you go to pick it up.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 PM

My kitchen knives are from Europe. A hunting knife, is basically the same type of tool. Neither are prohibited weapons - they are tools.