Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 07:56 AM

Default How beavers became North America's best firefighter

How beavers became North America's best firefighter

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...er/ar-BB19jumJ

Quote:

A new study concludes that, by building dams, forming ponds, and digging canals, beavers irrigate vast stream corridors and create fireproof refuges in which plants and animals can shelter. In some cases, the rodents’ engineering can even stop fire in its tracks.

“It doesn't matter if there’s a wildfire right next door,” says study leader Emily Fairfax, an ecohydrologist at California State University Channel Islands. “Beaver-dammed areas are green and happy and healthy-looking.”

For decades, scientists have recognized that the North American beaver, Castor canadensis, provides a litany of ecological benefits throughout its range from northern Mexico to Alaska. Beaver ponds and wetlands have been shown to filter out water pollution, support salmon, sequester carbon, and attenuate floods. Researchers have long suspected that these paddle-tailed architects offer yet another crucial service: slowing the spread of wildfire.

Source: see link above
Old 09-23-2020, 08:07 AM

Default beaver

Not sure if we can give the beaver credit for purification of water. He poops to much in his dam and causes Beaver fever.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:36 AM

Study Finds Beaver Dams Help Clean Polluted Waters — Potomac Conservancy
https://potomac.org/blog/2016/1/19/b...nitrogen-water

Remove a lot of nitrogen
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM

I'm going to give a bit of credit to Photo Shop for that picture. Beavers and Wetlands aren't wonder workers, they're just part of the equation. In the long term, Wetlands come and go, that's how Nature works.

Grizz
Old 09-26-2020, 02:04 PM

I wonder if they make any significant impact on blue-green algae growth and aeration to reduce fish kills. I’d guess multiple dams would add up to create some discernible impacts.

Why Give a DAMn?
https://www.beaverinstitute.org/why-...water-quality/
Old 09-26-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not sure if we can give the beaver credit for purification of water. He poops to much in his dam and causes Beaver fever.
Carry your own water. Leave his alone. QED

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-27-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'm going to give a bit of credit to Photo Shop for that picture. Beavers and Wetlands aren't wonder workers, they're just part of the equation. In the long term, Wetlands come and go, that's how Nature works.

Grizz

Beavers are for sure wonder workers, transforming and restoring corrupted habitat when old two legs give them a chance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-27-2020, 10:15 AM
Gone Hunting

One can look at the positive or the negative, or the whole picture.

Yes beaver can have a positive impact on the environment.

They can also turn a productive field into a soggy weed patch or a sturdy road into a rutted quagmire.

Sure they make habitat for ducks, they also level sizable chunks of healthy forest and drown out healthy trees leaving dead and dry trees that can fuel fires.

It seems to me very similar statements could be made about any number of creatures.
Moose thin out aspen seedlings, leaving more room for the remaining seedlings to grow into big strong trees while coyote reduce destructive mice populations, humans plant trees. The list is long and varied.

In nature there are no heroes, no environmentally conscious watchdogs, just creatures who evolved to survive in association with everything around them.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-27-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Beavers are for sure wonder workers, transforming and restoring corrupted habitat when old two legs give them a chance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"THEY'RE JUST PART OF THE EQUATION ".

Grizz
Old 09-27-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Like Keg said "there's positives and negatives" and both are part of the big picture.

Unfortunately your comments downplay just how important the positives are.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Grizz

If your referring to the Nat Geo photo in the OPs link then that's likely the real deal.

Split shots like that with the surface tension distortion at the water air junction are usually a result of the photographer using a fish tank partially submerged to facilitate capture (poor mans underwater housing).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Grizz
They work hard and fast and really transform their surroundings. That often adds a lot of diversity.

In comparison fires, tent caterpillars, other plagues of bugs tend to create more broadly uniform change whereas beavers bring much more specific or localized change. This is more diversifying in my mind.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM

Very sad to see when them beavers flood a beautiful old growth forest of 150 year old spruce trees and they all die. The mess of dead skags and stumps look like after a nuclear bomb explosion. I prefer old growth forest.