Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 07:47 AM

Default Storing boat outside and mice

Usually my neighbor lets me store my boat in his garage for the winter while they are in Florida. Because of Covid they will be staying in Alberta this winter and my boat will need to sit outside. I’ve built a wood structure to protect the windshield from the snow load already but not sure what to use to keep mice out of the boat.

Heard before to spread moth balls around under the boat and to use drier sheets in the boat. What’s everyone’s experience with that or what’s everyone’s tricks to keep mice away from my boat this winter?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 08:37 AM

I am assuming that your boat will have a cover over it? I store mine at a RV Storage lot and it is all gravel and recycled tires so that in itself helps. I spread bounce sheets all over in my boat like the floor and any other compartments rod storage etc. I have a snap cover for mine and also put another cover over that. The only other thing I do is put a baited mouse box (It is a plastice box with a green colored bait inside it) on the inner side of each boat trailer tire. In 5 years of storage I have never had any mouse issues. In fact this spring was the only time there was a bit of evidence of some of the bait being eaten.
I think 2 big things to remember. NO FOOD of any kind even a small barbecue or frying pan will emit food odour left in the boat and try not to store in a long grass area.
Good Luck.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 AM

used to have mouse problems after winter storage at the farm ,
i now put irish spring soap bars in the boat and no more mice problems.. used to open the glove box in the spring and find bird seed and mouse dropping all over..
we also put them in the 5th wheel now and no problems
Old 09-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Go to the dollar store buy a bag or two of the moth ball sacks, spread them all around the boat and make sure if you have it in the storage area as well.

No mice will ever come into your boat and very cheap insurance. I also spread them around my garage and have never had any of the critters bother me since. Live on acreage so mice have always been an issue not just in garage but RV and boat. Moth balls work.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
The only other thing I do is put a baited mouse box (It is a plastice box with a green colored bait inside it) on the inner side of each boat trailer tire. .
BAIT - This is attracting the mice to the boat ..... I don't know if I'd do that.

I simply remove all my scented baits, and anything else out of the boat and have not had any issues with mice.

Mice are attracted to bait and food sources.

Never done the dryer sheets, moth balls or anything else.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:59 PM

In my northern MN camp the snow gos, atv’s, boats and all have been getting bounce sheets for years during storage so no issues.
Looks like other things listed above work well too.

Osky
Old 09-27-2020, 05:17 PM

Mothball sacks from the dollar store, dryer sheets, and make sure nothing is left in the boat. No issues with mice at all. I’ve heard that Downy Unstoppables work too.

Don’t put poisoned bait in the boat at all. It attracts them, even though it will eventually kill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-27-2020, 08:55 PM

Steel wool in by prop where exhaust. Famous for getting up and building nests. Works great
Old 09-28-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Steel wool in by prop where exhaust. Famous for getting up and building nests. Works great

I've had to plug holes in stuff/buildings etc & use the brass scrubbing pad ones.

No rust....

Had Mouse problems with the old camper.....till I put dishes with Moth Balls in 4-5 places.
No more Mice & it is parked in a field.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:40 AM

I was a believer in Irish spring soap and had always done that in my holiday trailer until I found a lot of the bars eaten 1 spring. Now I only put in glue traps all over. Cheap and there isn't a scent with them to attract others.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the great replies. My boat will be tarped with a heavy tarp that hopefully sheds water. I built a frame around the front windshield to prevent the weight of the snow from breaking the glass.

I never thought of steel wool in the prop, will do that and will add the Irish spring soap bars along with the drier sheets and moth balls inside the boat. I did cut the grass as short as the trimmer would get and will spread the moth balls around under the boat as well.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvtown View Post
I was a believer in Irish spring soap and had always done that in my holiday trailer until I found a lot of the bars eaten 1 spring. Now I only put in glue traps all over. Cheap and there isn't a scent with them to attract others.
Yep...I can confirm from first hand experince as well Irish Spring does absolutely nothing, they eat or chew on it.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Also spray some bleach around the perimeter of the boat every so often. Mice follow each others scent trails and the bleach kills the scents.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Irish Spring soap is a guaranteed winner. I use around the perimeter of the hunting tent. No mice in the tent and my gear since i started using it.
Never even thought about it for the RV. Hitting the dollar store this weekend i guess...
Old 10-02-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Irish Spring soap is a guaranteed winner. I use around the perimeter of the hunting tent. No mice in the tent and my gear since i started using it.
Never even thought about it for the RV. Hitting the dollar store this weekend i guess...
I have literally had them eat entire bars of the stuff. It does nothing.

I have mouse proofed almost everything I own and the only solution is removing access.

Dont leave cords or ropes hanging, fill holes with steel wool, foam, silicone or all of the above.

Do not leave food or anything that smells of food in there and do NOT add a bait station you will just attract them.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:03 PM

Plastic wrapped that is heat tightened at a marina.. $200 for a typical fishing boat

Remember the drain hole