Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-27-2020, 10:02 PM

A red dot mounted on that Cooper would be the cat's meow. For a close in bush gun
Old 09-27-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I was gonna ask what’s wrong with the NULA...but I guess you sorted it out. Being familiar and confident with your rifle is far more important than a couple inches of barrel one way or the other.

Could get another nula built in 308 or 338 federal with sights. That would be unique and fit the bill (other than the wood/blued part)
Love my NULA, but not a "dedicated" bush rifle. Its my all arounder...probably go on more walks this season then anything else. lol.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
A red dot mounted on that Cooper would be the cat's meow. For a close in bush gun
If i like the 1.5-5 vx3i this season I may put a vx5 1-5 Firedot on it. I just took off a VX6 2-12 ZL firedot from it.

I love FOV.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Looking at picking up another hunting rifle. Mainly for Deer in close quarters/bush with open sights.

Ideally it would be…
-wood and blued
-short action
-barrel length 20-22”.
-Nice carry/off hand shooter/well balanced

May put a 1-4 scope on it down the road incase my eyes get worse.lol

I know Sako makes a few models with open sights, Black Bear, Bavarian etc.
What other brands should I look at? I am open to a lever action also. Price would be under $2500.

Currently I own

-Cooper Jackson Hunter, 338-06, 22” barrel (close to mid range moose/elk gun)
-Nula, 280ai, 24” barrel (my "all a-rounder" do everything lightweight rifle)
-Rem 700 action with wildcat stock and KS arms barrel, 25-06, 22” barrel (open country deer rifle)

Currently Selling - SAKO Finnlight 75 in 6.5x55 Swede. This could be traded for the above.
If lever- how about
Henry Long Ranger Lever Action, 6.5 Creedmoor, with Iron Sights?
Plus magazines for fast reloading?

https://www.rangeviewsports.ca/produ...h-iron-sights/
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If lever- how about
Henry Long Ranger Lever Action, 6.5 Creedmoor, with Iron Sights?
Plus magazines for fast reloading?

https://www.rangeviewsports.ca/produ...h-iron-sights/

I didn't know Henry made those. They sound like a direct copy of the Browning BLR. Has anyone had a close look at one.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I didn't know Henry made those. They sound like a direct copy of the Browning BLR. Has anyone had a close look at one.
I just saw it on this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=wsCO0XV5rwA
Old 09-28-2020, 04:56 PM

That Cooper set up with the 1.5-5x seems like the ideal way to go!
Even with that slow heavy bullet you are probably ready to slam anything from 0-300m
That rifle is exactly something I have wanted for years.

As for open sights, maybe some knowledgeable guys here could pm me and I will send some pics of my current setup with my 9x57 mannlicher schoenauer, and advise what I could replace things with or how to get it adjusted. It does have a tang peep a little out of line and the rear sight I am not fond of. I think it’s all factory original in the ol 1905 model MS
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 PM

Marlin 444P Outfitter. 18.5" ported barrel, overall length 37". 6.5-6.75 lbs. Light and compact, very handy in heavy bush and a real good clambering. Tube magazine holds 5 cartridges.

Last edited by Athabasca1; 09-28-2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 09-28-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I handled one in .308, it was a nice gun, and the irons lined up very naturally for me.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Tikka Battue can be had in wood or synthetic, has great open sights, and can be had in a variety of cartridges.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:31 PM

Reviving this thread to give context to my question rather than starting a new one...

I am finding the existing sights on the gun below hit really high but maybe someone can explain how to use them better or just handle the gun better. Or maybe it is a 150m zero and not 100m. I have not tried the 300m flip up rear sight. Hawk 250gr bullet in 9x57 running around 1950-2000 FPS at the muzzle and when I frame the sight picture to the description of F (see diagram below), I am about 6 inches high at 100m. Maybe that is what I should expect and just use it for moose/elk/deer in the bush but it is not the greatest sight to use for my changing eyes. All the talk of skinner peep sights in the other thread make me wonder, is there an option to slide in to the grooves where the existing rear and front open sights sit?

Would I be a fool to change it from factory?

The rear tang peep needs a little shim or something to keep it aligned (has a tilt to one side)

I LOVE this rifle and would feel more confident with dropping a moose if I was more confident in the sight set up (which might just take practice shooting differently than I have)
It is a mannlicher schoenauer 1905 that would have started as a 9x56 MS before the Germans got a hold of it.

Last edited by kujoseto; 10-06-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:58 PM

I would shoot the 300 leaf at 100 and see where it hits. Being 6 high at 100 is a little to much for your main site. Based on your cartridges drop chart you can determine if the 300 yard leaf is too high as well.

You have a number of choices, you can slow the bullet down, use a heavier bullet like the 286 grain that is very co.monly used in that cartridge and what the sights were most likely regulated to, put on a taller front post which is easy to do as yours will just drift out (remember that most dovetails have a slight taper so make sure u know whether that gun needs to drift left to right or the other way round) or lower the rear sight. Since the sight itself doesn't move you would have to slowly and carefully file the top of the rear sight while maintaining the depth of the V. If it were me I would put a taller post on. Much easier to do , not permanent and if you have to file the front sight a little because it is too tall that is not near the big deal that messing up the rear sight is.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Open Sights hunting rifles - what do you like?

Ok maybe I will start with slowing the bullet down a touch. Nothing wrong with that when it comes to the recoil of this lightweight.
It is regulated for 248gr. This is a 9mm not 9.3. The pure copper and pure lead Hawk is like a Barnes original.
It did wonders on finishing a medium black bear last year. Kept thinking it would be great on moose when I could not get a clear bow shot last weekend but a rifle for sure. Plenty of time to shoot elk with the 30-06 so I want to utilize this while I have the moose draw

I will take another look at it but the rear sight might drift out too. Pretty sure it can
Old 10-08-2020, 05:00 AM

Williams FP peep with a 0.125” aperture and a Firesight or similar front bead.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-08-2020, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

image.jpg

1915 BSA sights on this ol'303 seem to be sufficient

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-09-2020, 06:16 AM

XS sights sights and Skinner sights on lever action carbines.