Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Default Just curious

Would anyone happen to know how accurate the load data is in most reloading Manuals and or books,I’m curious if the accrual FPS and energy is,I understand it’s in there riffles and perfect conditions.tks to those who leave any info
Old 11-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Would anyone happen to know how accurate the load data is in most reloading Manuals and or books,I’m curious if the accrual FPS and energy is,I understand it’s in there riffles and perfect conditions.tks to those who leave any info
It's in the ballpark, but there are a bunch of variables at play and you won't be truly accurate with the data until you test for yourself.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:44 PM

They are incredibly accurate in the rifle it was tested on. Only problem is no two rifles are the same. Some are close some not so much. Always verify
Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 PM

Variations of 100-200fps from posted data to individual rifles, is not at all uncommon. And contrary to what some people believe, some loads posted in some manuals, will not be safe in all rifles.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Variations of 100-200fps from posted data to individual rifles, is not at all uncommon. And contrary to what some people believe, some loads posted in some manuals, will not be safe in all rifles.
For example, my buddy's M70 inn 3006 was 112 feet per second slower than my Parker Hale 3006 with the same powder charge and bullet.
Cat
Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For example, my buddy's M70 inn 3006 was 112 feet per second slower than my Parker Hale 3006 with the same powder charge and bullet.
Cat
This is quite common. I have 2 rifles in .308 win. The same load in the 20" Tikka averages almost 100fps slower than the 18.5" Ruger.

Also, once fired brass from the Tikka will chamber in the Ruger, but not vis-versa.

Common sense would suggest the tighter chamber, slower twist and longer barrel of the Tikka would give higher velocities. Not in my case.

This is why we start low and work up.

Colin
Old 11-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Tks

Thank you for the reply’s,I guess the best thing I can do is purchase a chrony and verify FPS first hand,I never thought the same exact loads would vary so much,I expected some variation but not in those,thanks again I will update our findings,I have one Xmas gift idea yahooo lol
Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 PM

Having a crono is the biggest eye opener in shooting.
Wow, what a guy thought is not what you get.
Most times not even close.
Change the brass, different fps
Also I have found a lot of rifles have slower barrels.
A crono is a must have.
If you just want to shoot and find a accurate load then it doesn't matter.
But if you want real data, so you can figure out drops then you need it.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Having a crono is the biggest eye opener in shooting.
Wow, what a guy thought is not what you get.
Most times not even close.
Change the brass, different fps
Also I have found a lot of rifles have slower barrels.
A crono is a must have.
If you just want to shoot and find a accurate load then it doesn't matter.
But if you want real data, so you can figure out drops then you need it.
Chronographs and borescopes, 2 devices that have sold more shooting related items than anything.

If a load is accurate and you shout it to distance, I can guarantee you with today’s ballistic programs, you’ll be able to derive your velocity within 50 FPS.

What Chronographs often lead to is number chasing and dangerous over pressure reloads.

Now if you choose to use a chronograph as an after the fact confirmation of load consistency and to fine tune your long range ballistics that’s what it should be about.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-27-2019, 05:35 PM

I pretty much only use Nosler data & can pretty much expect 100fps less than book says. Knowing that tempers expectations.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 PM

I use s chronograph to obtain a baseline velocity so I can develop a trajectory chart out to 1,000 meters for my match rifles so I have a basic idea of my drops at different ranges .
It is a starting point only , but gives me a place to start so I can get on target .

For my hunting rifles I rarely use it , preferring to work up my loads measuring cases and watching pressure signs and using various load books .
When I fo use a chronograph on my big game hunting loads , it is to check my extreme spread only on my loads not to actually see how fast they are moving.
Cat
Old 11-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Gone Hunting

I second almost everything said already.

I don't shoot long range and I do have a Chrony. In my situation it is for curiosity sake only.
I load for accuracy and consistency, never for highest velocity.

Many modern guns come close to load data figures, I shoot mostly old iron. Including military surplus.
Military rifles were deliberately made with wider tolerances then hunting rifles.
Parts were meant to be interchangeable and the ability to function properly when dirty was important. Thus the wider tolerances.

For the reloader that means published load data is seldom very close. More often then not it is just close enough to be safe when instructions are followed carefully. Key words being "followed carefully"

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-28-2019, 12:07 PM

Having a reloading book is like having a GPS. If you have one, then you know exactly where you are. If you have two then you are not quite sure. You need three or more so you can take the average.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-28-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Having a reloading book is like having a GPS. If you have one, then you know exactly where you are. If you have two then you are not quite sure. You need three or more so you can take the average.
The only way to know where you are, is to actually test the loads in your rifle. A chronograph will give you the velocity, and if the velocity is within reason, the pressure likely is as well. The only way to be sure of the trajectory, is to shoot the load at all ranges.

Loading manuals are only a starting point, they shouldn't be taken as any more than that.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
LOL (1st time I have ever said it)

The unanswered question of reloading manuals is,

How much of the published data is an aggregation or averaging from existing works, or outright plagiarism, or sophisticated engineering calculation and computation, (aka WAG)? or of the statistical validity of these WAGs?

Boxers know to always, "Protect yourself at all times."

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
LOL (1st time I have ever said it)

The unanswered question of reloading manuals is,

How much of the published data is an aggregation or averaging from existing works, or outright plagiarism, or sophisticated engineering calculation and computation, (aka WAG)? or of the statistical validity of these WAGs?

Boxers know to always, "Protect yourself at all times."

Good Luck, YMMV.
Does throwing around acronyms make a guy smarter than the rest of us?

What is a WAG?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Does throwing around acronyms make a guy smarter than the rest of us?

What is a WAG?
Wild Ass Guess
Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
One book MAY give you a general idea of where you are...OR in some cases walk you off a cliff...I have a bunch of manuals...none tell the exact same story and some are out and out wrong.( I have a manual with a super dangerous load in it)... I take an average from all the manuals and go from there. I never range a target once...JMHO
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Gone Hunting

The devil is in the details as the saying goes.
So too with reloading data.

If you load using a reloading manual and don't follow the exact recipe you won't get the same results.
For example, if the manual says a CCI primer was used and you use a Winchester primer the resulting load will be different.
If the test rifle had a 22" barrel and yours has a 24" barrel the results will be different.

Reloading data is meant to get you close, not dead on the figures.

Not only are identical rifles different when it comes to chamber dimensions and free bore, components differ from one manufacturer to another.
Case brand names have different capacities, primer brands produce different ignition rates and different pressures, even different batches of the same powder can make a significant difference.

Without a proper test rifle equipped to do CUP pressure tests or the equivalent, working up a load without established load data is like playing Russian Roulette.
And expecting the exact same results is like expecting to win the lottery with one ticket.

George Bernard Shaw