Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 10:27 PM

Default C-I-L Model 950 - clip conversion advice?

I have a C-I-L Model 950 rifle chambered in 7MM REM. MAG. I was given the gun from family and have hunted with it. It is extremely accurate and nice to shoot. Downside is that it doesn't have a clip. You load it from the top, 3 shells. It does have a plate under the magazine that appears to be removable.

I am curious if this is a model that a clip could be installed in? Would love to have the convenience of the clip and the extra shell capacity when hunting.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhunter1 View Post
I have a C-I-L Model 950 rifle chambered in 7MM REM. MAG. I was given the gun from family and have hunted with it. It is extremely accurate and nice to shoot. Downside is that it doesn't have a clip. You load it from the top, 3 shells. It does have a plate under the magazine that appears to be removable.

I am curious if this is a model that a clip could be installed in? Would love to have the convenience of the clip and the extra shell capacity when hunting.
There isn't one commonly made for guns like that.
CILs are no where near as plentiful as the Remington 700, quick clip.
It could do be done but not easy or convenient.
I never understood the attraction of a clip that could get lost.
Pretty easy to just drop one in and close the bolt if your jumping out of the truck.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Yes they can be converted quite easily, the 950C and E are Savage 110’s
I have done four or five and still have a few of the release springs and buttons and I may even have bottom metal as well , but I am not sure .
I know I do have a short action magazine but not s long action .
I sold a pile of those parts to Irv at Western Gun Parts about 25 years ago.
Cat
Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yes they can be converted quite easily, the 950C and E are Savage 110’s
I have done four or five and still have a few of the release springs and buttons and I may even have bottom metal as well , but I am not sure .
I know I do have a short action magazine but not s long action .
I sold a pile of those parts to Irv at Western Gun Parts about 25 years ago.
Cat
Cat,
Are you talking about converting the blind or internal mag to the factory 950C drop mag with the button release on the right side of the stock or more like the conventional style Savage with the release on the bottom metal?
I had a 950 C in .270 ,twice, with the drop mag.
Nice guns,much better quality then the Savage 110 of the same era.Listed in the 1969 SIRS catalogue as CIL 950C Custom,$156.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Cat,
Are you talking about converting the blind or internal mag to the factory 950C drop mag with the button release on the right side of the stock or more like the conventional style Savage with the release on the bottom metal?
I had a 950 C in .270 ,twice, with the drop mag.
Nice guns,much better quality then the Savage 110 of the same era.Listed in the 1969 SIRS catalogue as CIL 950C Custom,$156.00 if I remember correctly.
Yup, but the C.I.L 950C had a stock by Sile with roll over cheek piece etc.
The magazines were all the same , however.
I have cut the bottoms of the stocks on the blind mag stocks, but some of the 950E's also had a non hinged floor plate that screwed on.
The release button is on the side and the hole of course needs to be drilled to fit the button on a 110E or 950E
Cat
Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Shooting Xs

I never got around to confirming this,in theory if the action screw spacing on the 950's is the same as newer model Savage's with drop mags,say early 2000 model 110's or 111's,shouldn't the barrelled action of the 950 drop in?
Newer synthetic stocks aren't difficult to find or expensive or a Boyd's upgrade with factory Savage bottom metal/mag.
Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
I never got around to confirming this,in theory if the action screw spacing on the 950's is the same as newer model Savage's with drop mags,say early 2000 model 110's or 111's,shouldn't the barrelled action of the 950 drop in?
Newer synthetic stocks aren't difficult to find or expensive or a Boyd's upgrade with factory Savage bottom metal/mag.
Just a thought.
Yes they will, I don''t think they changed the standard action dimensions on the 110's.
Cat
Old 11-21-2019, 03:14 PM

This is a link I had from Savage Shooters. Hope it helps.

First Generation Short Actions:
The 1st Generation short actions are often incorrectly referred to as "Series J" actions or Intermediate Actions. These actions will have a three digit model number (110, 112, etc), but are approximately 0.540" shorter than the standard long action.

Savage used series letters (i.e. Series J) solely to identify small changes to individual parts over the years. These series indications were only used to identify what parts to use on the rifle should it ever come back to the factory for repair or warranty service. Think of it as a version or revision number. As such, it's common to find a long action rifle with the barrel marked "Series J", and as such it's not a good idea to simply refer to the 1st Generation short actions as "J-Series" as the series has no bearing on the actual action length. Additionally, a rifle can be marked with a series letter other than "J" and still be one of these 1st Gen short actions.

The 1st Generation short actions were discontinued in 1988 when Savage went into bankruptcy. From 1988 to the launch of the 2nd Generation Short Action in 1996, all rifles offered in a short-action cartridge were built on long actions with a shorter magazine well cut in the bottom of the action.

2nd Generation Short Actions:
The 2nd Generation short actions are what most people are familiar with. These were introduced in 1998 and remained in production through the better part of 2007 which was the transition year to the new 3rd Generation short actions. The 2nd Generation short action is approximately 0.850" shorter than a long action, or approximately 0.310" shorter than the 1st Generation short action.

3rd Generation Short Actions:
The 3rd Generation short action is what came about with the introduction of Savage's new detachable magazine arrangement on the Model 14 American Classic, 16FCSAK, 16FCSS, 10FCM Sierra and 11GCNS models in 2005. The new detachable magazine setup required that the front action screw be moved forward approximately 0.125" to allow room for the magazine release lever. (NOTE: The above listed models were the only ones to have the different screw spacing in 2005. All other short action models retained the 2nd Generation short action screw spacing.)

In 2006 Savage introduced their new hinged floor-plate magazine arrangement, and also started phasing in a new center-feed blind magazine. The hinged floor-plate assembly required the same screw spacing as the detachable magazine arrangement. Rather than having to offer stocks with two different screw spacings (HFP/DM and blind mag), Savage simply moved the front action screw forward on the blind magazine models as well. Thus all the short actions now feature the 3rd Generation screw spacing of 4.400".

The only exception may be rifles chambered in .204 Ruger or .223 Remington, as Savage had yet to develop/release a new center-feed magazine to feed these cartridges in 2006. By the start of 2008 Savage had started shipping the new center-feed magazine for these smaller cartridges and thus switched to the 4.40" screw spacing accordingly.

NOTE: Overall short action length did not change any from the 2nd Generation to the 3rd Generation. Only the screw spacing changed.

Long Actions:
The action screw spacing on Savage long actions has remained the same since it's introduction in 1958. However, this does not mean they are all the same as the magazine port length in the bottom of the action can be one of three different lengths depending on the cartridge the action was originally made for.

From 1988 to 1997 all Savage bolt-action rifles were made on long-actions. Those chambered for short-action cartridges have a shorter magazine port cut to work with the existing short-action magazine boxes from previous years. As such, even though the action is technically a long action you can not mount a long-action cartridge magazine to it without having the magazine port lengthened.

Additionally, larger cartridges such as the .375 H&H and the Remington Ultra Mag cartridges required a longer magazine box and consequently a longer magazine port in the bottom of the action. As such, changing from a .30-06 length box to one of these cartridges will also require that the magazine port be lengthened.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths
Old 11-21-2019, 03:53 PM

That's a great paper Dean2! the 950's of course were long actions for the 7mag, 30'06, etc.
Cat
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM

So this gun is a C-I-L MODEL 950 with the Montreal, Canada reference next to the model number. It is a 7MM REM. Mag. and the serial number is 67370. I can't find an online site that would give me manufacture date but I suspect maybe in the late 60's? Totally guessing on this.

It has a nice stock with roll over cheek piece, a rosewood pistol grip cap and nice checkering, a classic Pachmayr recoil pad so all in all it still looks pretty good.

I popped off the non hinged floor plate that is screwed on. Nice and clean. It is the long action version, 3.8" with 5 1/8" between the screws.

As I mentioned I really like how it shoots and love the wooden classic look. If I am able to convert it to a clip model without it being too pricey or complicated, this would become my moose gun.

Cat you seem on top of these, doable?

Steve
Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Yup totally doable
The stocks were made by Sile and are very nice .
Late 70’s early 70’s yes.
You will need a different bottom metal, button release and escutcheon and spring and a magazine box.
Cat
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM

I have a 7/300 magnum mag box for the Savage 110C with the side release if find the rest of the workings.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a 7/300 magnum mag box for the Savage 110C with the side release if find the rest of the workings.
Are you saying you have the release Dean or the mag box takes the side release?
I am pretty sure I have a release button and spring
Cat
Old 11-22-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Are you saying you have the release Dean or the mag box takes the side release?
I am pretty sure I have a release button and spring
Cat
I have the actual spare magazine that holds the cartridges. I used the rest of the parts and a magazine on a different gun.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have the actual spare magazine that holds the cartridges. I used the rest of the parts and a magazine on a different gun.
Oh cool!
I’ll dig out what I can find
Cat
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Cat

As I have not been able to find anything on the internet showing the conversion process... is it just as simple as unscrewing the 2 bolts, drop out the non hinged floor plate and current mechanism and then installing a magazine housing that will hold a standard magazine? No alterations on the woodwork either?

Steve
Old 11-22-2019, 09:12 PM

You need to drill one hole in the side for the release button , but if you already have the fixed floor plate that is it
Cat
Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 PM

Default clip conversion

hey guys! sorry to chime in so late, i have a c.i.l 950(30-06) and am interested in doing a clip conversion and am unsure where i could find parts to complete the process, any advice would help! thanks!