Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Canadian Supplier of Chamber Reamers??

Gents

I've googled but can't find any. Does anybody know of any Canadian suppliers of chamber reamers? I'm working on my 338 Federal Win 88 project. I can get the reamers out of Pacific Tool and Gauge in the US. But according to their info I required to get a DSP-5 license, which will cost me another $100 and require me to get an "international import certificate" from my bosom buddy Trudeau as well.

Is there a Canadian Supplier? Has anyone have experience with this? Appreciate any input you may have......
Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Can’t help with CDN reamer maker. Did you try JGS or Manson? Perhaps the smith doing the chamber can order one with your specs ... or if you called around, you might find a smith that has the reamer?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Kawibunga;3976587]Gents

I've googled but can't find any. Does anybody know of any Canadian suppliers of chamber reamers? I'm working on my 338 Federal Win 88 project. I can get the reamers out of Pacific Tool and Gauge in the US. But according to their info I required to get a DSP-5 license, which will cost me another $100 and require me to get an "international import certificate" from my bosom buddy Trudeau as well.

I messed up, I'll send a pm to the OP
Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 PM

call https://mansonreamers.com/ they can make what ever you need custom readers or they may have it in stock no need for an import licence it’s just a tool. I’ve got 2 rearmers from them now with no problems. PT&G I’ll never use again tryed to order one once but it was a horrible experience had to wait 9 months for visa to take them to collection to get my money back worst customer service and experience I have ever had.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
call https://mansonreamers.com/ they can make what ever you need custom readers or they may have it in stock no need for an import licence it’s just a tool. I’ve got 2 rearmers from them now with no problems. PT&G I’ll never use again tryed to order one once but it was a horrible experience had to wait 9 months for visa to take them to collection to get my money back worst customer service and experience I have ever had.
Thanks Dubious, good to know. I'll give him a try as it was PT&G who wanted the license, but reading fine print on the PT&G site I wasn't convinced that it was required for this as it could be interpreted as exempt in my opinion. PT&G had them in stock and the smith suggested them (smith doesn't have the reamer so suggested I bring it in, which I don't have a problem with) I'll let ya know how I make out......
Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Default Weird

I’ve never had PTG ask for that before? Weird...
Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Bighorn sales in bc carries a pile of reamers.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Bighorn sales in bc carries a pile of reamers.
I second this. Just got a Manson reamer through Gary.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 AM

I have never had a problem getting a reamer from Manson or PTG. My 300 Win Mag reamer did take awhile to receive from PTG. They both mailed directly to me.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Were you ordering some gun parts at the same time .
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Were you ordering some gun parts at the same time .
Just the reamer. This is the warning you get just prior to check out

BEFORE YOU PAY

You have ordered shipment outside the USA.

One or more items in your order are firearm parts/accessories which may be subject to export license under ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).

Failure to comply with ITAR requirements will result in siezure of your shipment by port authorities. Pacific Tool and Gauge will not be liable for any losses or delay.

Pacific Tool and Gauge will not start production on orders which require an ITAR license, until the license has been granted. License processing costs $99 USD. Anticipate a delay of 30 to 60 days to complete an ITAR license request.

It is your responsibility to provide Pacific Tool and Gauge with documents required for ITAR license application. To download a document package with instructions and sample documents, click here.

Orders canceled for failing ITAR compliance will be charged 30%."

The ITAR legislation does list tools, But I can't get through via phone to confirm with PT&G, nor have they answered via email. I don't really want to take the chance and get delayed or incur the extra cost. So unless I hear back I'll be going one of the routes suggested. Thx
Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM

I have also ordered reamers from Mason and PT&G shipped right to me no issues
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
I have also ordered reamers from Mason and PT&G shipped right to me no issues
Heard from PT&G. I'm good to go, the requirements are as follows

"ITAR paperwork is needed for ANY purchases $500.00 or more to Canada for items that physically attach to a gun (example: bottom metal, bolt knobs, bolts…etc.). This excludes tooling that doesn’t attach to the gun (example: reamers, gauges, cutters etc.)"

Thanks all for the advice etc
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 AM

Default Lol

Yeah forgot about that standard warning, under $500 no problems. And doesnt matter how many separate orders of $499 you order.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Default reamer

long shot any one have a 300 win mag reamer designed by ryan mantha to specifically launch 215 berger hy they would sell or rent for 1 use
Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 PM

Default Reamer maker canada

https://taylortool.com/company/

You could try this place.