Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Odd Trapline Catches ?

Lets hear some stories of your strange catches ! Mine was today wen i caught a squirrel in a rabbit snare and then checker a marten box that caught a rabbit !! The rabbit got up the tree ? And went in the box for some meat i guess lol .
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Rabbit in tree??????

Beware of your prankster buddies! Another trapper from Rocky once found a badger in his marten set.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 PM

No pranks , no human tracks just rabbit tracks on the ground then on a log then he went up the tree and in the trap .
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Buddy caught a rabbit in a underwater beaver snare. No human tracks, just rabbit tracks leading to a hole in the ice and a rabbit in his beaver snare.

Willy always was good at hiding his tracks. He walked on flood ice to make that one look real.

Rabbits can not climb a tree.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM

The strangest thing I ever saw in a trap was something I didn't catch.

It was when I was a kid, around 1962. My uncle and his friend were hunting somewhere near the Pembina river west of Edmonton. Somewhere there they found a number 6 newhouse bear trap with an old work boot in it and the legbone sticking out of the boot. The boot had moss on it and looked fairly old. They police thought it might be a logger that was missing in the area back in the 1920's. Gruesome. That image stuck with me.
Glad we don't have to worry anymore about No.6 newhouses when hiking on the trails.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Well, probably can't top the leg in the trap story but I once caught a cat in a 110 conibear meant for mink in the middle of no where! Don't know what it was doing there!

I also caught a small dog in a snare miles from the nearest farm in the bush! It was still alive and well because it didn't pull so I let it go. Followed me all the way to the truck.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Wolves without bait............

I had a good one about three weeks ago. Very hard to believe but I have pictures in my phone and fur in my skinning shed. I have a favorite spot to snare Wolves. I had only caught one there a couple of years ago but they were always passing by. There was an old Moose head and a few bones left from last year and as I have always done I went in and hung about 25 snares. I would normally wait a week or so for the scent and tracks etc. to blow away and then go back in with bait. I got a big surprise when I went back and there were 7 Wolves in the snares. They must have made checking out the site part of their normal travel route. The most I have ever caught before at one time is 2 and never without bait.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Several years back, I had a 330 to a job on a squirrel. Every time I see that pic, I have to imagine what was going thru that guys head, as he was taking his last swing thru the air.......
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Default Great Horned Owl

I caught a Great Horned Owl in a Weasal set, 30 odd years ago, while I was Res. trapping east of Edmonton. Tore up my coat, while I was releasing the Owl.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM

My buddy trapped a lynx near Prince George BC that had a Washington State Fish and Wildlife tag on it. Critter made it a few miles.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Caught a magpie in a 330 coni. Couldn't have turned out any worse for the magpie. The tightest part of the trap caught it right on the head.

That's a pretty wild story about the boot in bear trap.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
I had a good one about three weeks ago. Very hard to believe but I have pictures in my phone and fur in my skinning shed. I have a favorite spot to snare Wolves. I had only caught one there a couple of years ago but they were always passing by. There was an old Moose head and a few bones left from last year and as I have always done I went in and hung about 25 snares. I would normally wait a week or so for the scent and tracks etc. to blow away and then go back in with bait. I got a big surprise when I went back and there were 7 Wolves in the snares. They must have made checking out the site part of their normal travel route. The most I have ever caught before at one time is 2 and never without bait.
That's incredible! You must have caught most of the pack! You saved a lot of ungulates...plus you stand to make a few bucks as well. Be curious to see some pics of them. Mostly mature animals? Which ones did you catch. ie juveniles or Alpha male.
Congrats on a great harvest!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM

How would someone know if they got the alpha?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM

The pack was ten total and nine blacks and one grey. It snowed right after and also I had a trail camera near by and 3 walked by it. They were all pretty decent size and the Alphas are bigger. Whenever a pack is investigating something one of the leaders will go ahead. It looks like the Alpha male was caught first and the pack will not leave as long as they think he is still alive. They kept mulling around until 7 were caught. I have pictures I can e-mail but I am too technically challenged to get them on here. Maybe someone else knows how..............
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I have pictures I can e-mail but I am too technically challenged to get them on here. Maybe someone else knows how..............
Sure email them to me, I will post em.

wjg990@yahoo.ca

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM

Posting this pic on behalf of husky hunter. Your other pic never came thru. Good haul.

Maybe try sending me the other one again.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Heres your other one husky hunter. My puter sure does not like android pics.hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Great job HH, I can't believe they are all the same color phase.

As for odd catches, I've seen pics of guys who have caught fish in conibears set for mink, muskrats.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Dog shark in a pyramid crab trap. Thought it was a seal at first the way it fought as I hauled it off the bottom. Half the shark was out side the trap trying to swim away. The other side was inside and refused to give up the bait. Timing is everything we were out of bait and the wee shark's body provided us with 18 more crab!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 AM

that's not an odd catch HH, that's a great catch!!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Thank you---I have another story, this one you won't believe and I don't have any pictures. I had a 330 set on a dam and a duck tried to go through it. The trap jaws were offset so that when the trap fired there was about an inch between the jaws. When I got there the ducks neck was in the jaws with its head in the trap and body out but it was still alive. I was able to release it and it took off like nothing had happened.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM

I got a hawk in a coyote snare once. He was very lively so my boy run back to the truck for an extra jacket as I checked a few more traps down the creek. It wasn't very long and we met back at the hawk and he was played out an in shock. Got him out of the snare and set him on a fence post but it was clear he was going to freeze in the -20 so we took him home and he stayed in the garage the rest of the winter. He would eat a muskrat a day. I'd open the door and he'd look at me with "youre letting the cold in and why should I want out there" but come early spring on a nice sunny day he flew off never to be seen again.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I got a hawk in a coyote snare once. He was very lively so my boy run back to the truck for an extra jacket as I checked a few more traps down the creek. It wasn't very long and we met back at the hawk and he was played out an in shock. Got him out of the snare and set him on a fence post but it was clear he was going to freeze in the -20 so we took him home and he stayed in the garage the rest of the winter. He would eat a muskrat a day. I'd open the door and he'd look at me with "youre letting the cold in and why should I want out there" but come early spring on a nice sunny day he flew off never to be seen again.
thats a pretty cool story!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Nice Job on the wolves

Would be nice to see a few more catches like this. We are getting over run with the predators. Any way that is a real nice catch. Will you get a Bounty for those as well??? I believe some county's are still offering a bounty for trapped wolves.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM

We got a turkey vulture (no $!!it) while trying to bait a badger. A #3 soft catch on each leg. I put my coat over it and it never moved while I removed the traps, removed the coat and it flew/hopped some 30 feet with about a 6 foot wingspan and rested a bit. We left it alone, it gathered it's senses and took off, no worse for wear. They are very ugly but amazing birds. This was the second vulture I had ever seen just north of Edmonton. I have a picture on my old computer so will try and post it.
Doug
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM

The picture doesn't do it justice, it's an amazing bird.
We got the badger too.008.jpg

Last edited by dugh; 12-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanhb View Post
Would be nice to see a few more catches like this. We are getting over run with the predators. Any way that is a real nice catch. Will you get a Bounty for those as well??? I believe some county's are still offering a bounty for trapped wolves.
No bounty where we are......would be nice.......
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Congrats!

Quote:
The pack was ten total and nine blacks and one grey. It snowed right after and also I had a trail camera near by and 3 walked by it. They were all pretty decent size and the Alphas are bigger. Whenever a pack is investigating something one of the leaders will go ahead. It looks like the Alpha male was caught first and the pack will not leave as long as they think he is still alive. They kept mulling around until 7 were caught. I have pictures I can e-mail but I am too technically challenged to get them on here. Maybe someone else knows how..............
Thanks for the update! That is very cool. Probably hard to duplicate in your lifetime. Congrats again and thanks for posting some great pics!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM

i seen a turkey vulture this summer,just north of lamont...see them all the time in costa rica,but never before in alberta...
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM

We had a pair of turkey vultures hanging around our farm late this fall. Not sure what brought them our way.

I've seen them near Heart lake eating road kills on 881 and near the Garrington bridge on highway 587. Not common, but not unheard of.