Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Default figuring out gun prices

Is there some place or website I can check out to see how much different rifles I have are valued at?
I am trying to reduce right now and have some, but am having difficulty figuring out pricing.

I know CGN and here are great... until I have stuff that isnt listed there.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:32 PM

What about posting details with pictures and people will give you a value on here?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:19 PM

www.gunbroker.com
Prices are in US dollars so you will have to do the conversion but it is a good a place to start as any.
After that is pretty much a supply and demand issue. NIB firearms that one can't find are worth a premium. Others, not so much.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:32 AM

Comments on pricing -

There is more than one price for a gun - the price to sell it in a day, the price that you can eventually get in a month, and the "I don't care how long it takes, I am looking for a sucker" price.

Condition matters, a lot. Accurate description to NRA condition standards helps sell a gun.

There are only a few guns that are" collector's items", and those are mostly in near perfect condition. An altered, refinished or worn gun is not a "collector's item". There a very few rare guns that are an exception to this rule.

Online auction prices may indicate the value of a gun, but sites that list asking price might have no relation to real value. US dollar prices often do not tell you what a gun will bring in Canada. There are many guns that you would be lucky to get Canadian dollars for the US dollar asking price.

The market is pretty flat or falling right now for a lot of modest hunting guns, for well used and worn guns and for unremarkable old shotguns, including British guns that formerly sold for a lot more.

There are lots of people who will help you with pricing on this site or on Gunnutz, if you provide clear descriptions of features and condition.

Remember that someone making an offer to buy has a vested interest in low pricing, and someone who has no involvement may have an unrealistic high estimate.

Once you have a range of pricing you will be in a better place to decide on what price you need from your guns.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:46 AM

Default In a ressession

Most likely you won't get what it's worth.Location matters RE: Eastern Woods rifles not much interest in the Prairies etc.Time wasters that don't have a PAL or want something for nothing.You will meet them all.Sako's worth $2500 sit 1 year later not selling at $1200.Fear mongering over buying selling semis.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 AM

I'll give you $350 for them. What are they anyway?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Default pricing reference

I use Guns International. Another U.S sight, so keep in mind the conversions. Another thing to keep in mind on any U.S sight, is they love and rate higher, any American made guns, and have little to no use for anything with a metric or European configuration.
GI is a resource, but like anywhere, reflects what someone is willing to pay. I have gone into some of their categories and seen the same guns posted on sights that I saw when I first discovered the sight ten years ago! Just like some of the guns on Cdn sights that have twelve pages of bumps and a "firm" listing.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
www.gunbroker.com
Prices are in US dollars so you will have to do the conversion but it is a good a place to start as any.
After that is pretty much a supply and demand issue. NIB firearms that one can't find are worth a premium. Others, not so much.

Thanks, I found a few of them on Gunbroker. Definatly helps for a start.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'll give you $350 for them. What are they anyway?
Figured this reply would be in there... so you have a deal.

I guess I will have to sell this old cap gun that hardly works but it got my gun dog used to loud noises when she was a pup. So I can send you my email for EMT, as $350 works for me. Hey its a GUN right...
Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Aww crap. I'll have to tell the boss it's worth an easy $500
Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Default Just a guideline.....FYI

https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/grading-system/

http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-re...condition.aspx

Grading System

In most cases, the condition of a firearm determines its value. As with all collectible items, a grading system is necessary to give buyers and sellers a measurement that most closely reflects a general consensus on condition. While all grading systems are subjective, the system presented in this publication attempts to describe a firearm in universal terms. It is strongly recommended that the reader be closely acquainted with this grading system before attempting to determine the correct value of a particular firearm.

Example prices are shown for the conditions described in this format:
NIB Exc V.G. Good Fair Poor
$2250 $1800 $1500 $1250 $1000 $700

NIB (NEW IN BOX)

This category can sometimes be misleading. It means that the firearm is in its original factory carton with all of the appropriate papers. It also means the firearm is new, that it has not been fired, and has no wear. This classification brings a substantial premium for both the collector and shooter. It should be noted that NIB values are not the same as MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price), but rather are “street prices” that can be considerably lower than the MSRP. A NIB value should closely represent the selling price for a new, unfired gun in the box.

Excellent

Collector quality firearms in this condition are highly desirable. The firearm must be in at least 98 percent condition with respect to blue wear, stock or grip finish, and bore. The firearm must also be in 100 percent original factory condition without refinishing, repair, alterations, or additions of any kind. Sights must be factory original, as well. This grading classification includes both modern and antique (manufactured prior to 1898) firearms.

Very Good

Firearms in this category are also sought after both by the collector and shooter. Modern firearms must be in working order and retain approximately 92 percent original metal and wood finish. It must be 100 percent factory original, but may have some small repairs, alterations, or non-factory additions. No refinishing is permitted in this category. Antique firearms must have 80 percent original finish with no repairs.

Good

Modern firearms in this category may not be considered to be as collectible as the previous grades, but antique firearms are considered desirable. Modern firearms must retain at least 80 percent metal and wood finish, but may display evidence of old refinishing. Small repairs, alterations, or non-factory additions are sometimes encountered in this class. Factory replacement parts are permitted. The overall working condition of the firearm must be good, as well as safe. The bore may exhibit wear or some corrosion, especially in antique arms. Antique firearms may be included in this category if the metal and wood finish is at least 50 percent of the factory original.

Fair

Firearms in this category should be in satisfactory working order and safe to shoot. The overall metal and wood finish on the modern firearm must be at least 30 percent and antique firearms must have at least some original finish or old re-finish remaining. Repairs, alterations, non-factory additions, and recent refinishing would all place a firearm in this classification. However, the modern firearm must be in working condition, while the antique firearm may not function. In either case the firearm must be considered safe to fire if in a working state.

Poor

Neither collectors nor shooters are likely to exhibit much interest in firearms in this condition. Modern firearms are likely to retain little metal or wood finish. Pitting and rust will be seen in firearms in this category. Modern firearms may not be in working order and may not be safe to shoot. Repairs and refinishing would be necessary to restore the firearm to safe working order. Antique firearms in this category will have no finish and will not function. In the case of modern firearms their principal value lies in spare parts. On the other hand, antique firearms in this condition can be used as “wall hangers,” or might be an example of an extremely rare variation or have some kind of historical significance.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-25-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:38 AM

If you are going to try and use American gun prices to determine Canadian values you need to factor in exchange, GST, Provincial sales tax and import costs of about $300 per gun. Most guns sell for considerably more in Canada than just the U.S. p[rice plus exchange. Check the price of a new rifle at Bud's gun shop then check the price of that gun at Cabela's here in Canada, you will see what I mean about the markup in value being a lot more than just the exchange rate.

The other thing to be aware of is that it also works in reverse. There are a LOT more Winchester, Colt etc. collectors in the States than there are in Canada. A Winchester 1883 in good to VG shape will sell in the U.S. for 3 to 4 times what you can get for it here in Canada. Since there are no marking requirements on antique firearms entering the states there is no affect on their value from bringing them in from Canada.

The U.S. sites are useful indicators but you still really need to know what you are doing to use them effectively.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Default please let me know

If you ever figure it out since I haven't been able to in over 30 years.
Fair market value is considered the price a reasonably motivated buyer will pay to a reasonably motivated seller for any item. It can go on to suggest if the buyer and the seller are each just a little bit disappointed by the price paid or received it is probably as close as one can get to fair market value.
the problem seems to be that reasonable buyers and sellers are much harder to find. I was at an estate auction a few years ago with a friend and we watched as the auctioneer described an El Faison spanish made side by side 410 as having "a silver engraved receiver". These shotguns used to be sold in bulk in most hardware stores from a box for $25 each yet at auction this little gem went for $810. proving that a fool and his money are soon separated.
At the Calgary spring gun show a few years ago the same friend was walking around watching the exhibitors unpack their items when he noticed an elderly gentleman placed a browning trombone in average condition on his table without a price tag. My friend asked what he would take for it and the gentleman said "how about $200" and my friend said he couldnt do that if he wanted to sleep at night and handed the fellow $400. for the rifle.
Prices are pretty easy depending on condition it is the reasonable people that are getting harder to find.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

The U.S. sites are useful indicators but you still really need to know what you are doing to use them effectively.
I agree 100%....it was more of how to value a gun than the actual value. I wish I had a loonie for every gun I looked at in what was called excellent condition and actually it was rough....

I was trying to find a site that gave the actual percentages of the value and a description......For some reason I thought it was in a Yellowknife gun paper?

If I find it I will post the site.....maybe https://canadianguns.com/

Old 11-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I agree 100%....it was more of how to value a gun than the actual value. I wish I had a loonie for every gun I looked at in what was called excellent condition and actually it was rough....

I was trying to find a site that gave the actual percentages of the value and a description......For some reason I thought it was in a Yellowknife gun paper?

If I find it I will post the site.....maybe https://canadianguns.com/
It is in the "Canadian Access to Firearms" paper published out of Whitehorse, Yukon www.canadianguns.com

I only have the paper copy of it so can't post the descriptions they provide as too long to type out.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-25-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It is in the "Canadian Access to Firearms" paper published out of Whitehorse or Yellowknife www.canadianguns.com

I only have the paper copy of it so can't post the descriptions they provide as too long to type out.
With the information we have provided, a guy can look it up or buy a paper and this will get him/her a good start.....

The other thing is what consignment percentage are; 25% - 30%, has to be close?

Last edited by graybeard; 11-25-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
With the information we have provided, a guy can look it up or buy a paper and this will get him/her a good start.....

The other thing is what consignment percentage are; 25% - 30%, has to be close?
Fixed my earlier post S/B Whitehorse, not Yellowknife but the link works fine.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:55 PM

New at Cabelas price, minus 30-35% for any used rifle, new in box..... Blue book is OK? US sites..not really of use in Canada, EG: model 12 shotguns, Winchester rifles, Colt etc. in USA is worth way more then in Kanuckastan plus you need to subtract 30-40% due to exchange. But in the end it is worth what ever the buyer feels it is worth.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:20 AM

Prices on some guns have fallen significantly in the US. They have their own recession issues and regional differences.

Ultimately, the right price is the price that someone will pay.
Until you know exactly which firearm we are talking about, and a detailed condition description, we are all just speculating.
I notice a lot of "hoper" prices on Canadiangunnutz, where the ad is bumped for months.

I just sold a number of estate firearms, modest shotguns and muzzleloaders, the most expensive being $450, and it took 6 weeks. These sales were through local contacts in Saskatchewan and Alberta, the club, and one gun show.
My observation, cheap is better than good in this market.

Last edited by saskbooknut; 11-29-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:45 AM

For a rifle in good condition with minimal wear I feel like 65%-70% of retail value (before tax) is fair to the buyer and seller.