Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM

Default Henry single shot, scope Mount options. Need help

Hello. So I picked up a Henry single shot in brass 45-70 has to have the most beautiful wood iv ever seen with just a silky feel to it. But the rifle isn't the problem, it says takes a Weaver 82 mount, ( same as a H&R handi) so I went to Cabela's and got a 82 mount, rings and a scope got home and found out that I'd have to drift out the rear sight to install. I don't want to remove rear sight. So what are my options for a base that won't require me removeing rear sight. There has to be options right?
If some one can toss out the make and model of a base that would be great. My eyes arnt what they used to be sadly but would like to have the iron sights as back up.

Also in case any one was wondering. I called Henry they said can shoot any 45-70 load in it that is rated for Marlin actions. Just no ruger loads. Saw a few postings on Google were ppl were saying trap door loads only. (hate false info)
Any ways thank you for any help.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Could you post a picture of your rifle. I almost bought one from prophet river. It was a hard decision to pass it up as I am so trying to go to one rifle. Make sure you give us a review. I might change my mind again.
Sorry I was not any help for the scope issue.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:30 PM

I tryed to post pic. Keeps saying upload failed..
I could email you some close up's if you'd like. Just pm me your email.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM

You should not need to remove the rear sight. It should mount like this or just cut off the rail just before you get to the sight and mount the rings accordingly

Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 PM

I saw that pic online. The guy said he filed a grove to fit the rear sight. Was probably going to do the same if wasn't a factory type option. I'm sort of a butcher when it comes to moding stuff. Ends up looking like my 4 yr old did it.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM

If you aren't good with a small file then pre-fit the scope and make sure you can get the rings to work in a cross slot behind the rear sight. Then just cut the rail off a tenth or two behind the rear sight.

P.S. the pictures you emailed for me to post for you never showed up and I did check my junk folder. May want to double check the email address you input.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:39 PM

I had the same problem 4-5 years ago . I ended up getting a DNZ scope mount . I had to special order from a Bass pro store . Took about a month to receive .
Old 11-22-2019, 01:44 AM

Pictures of the Henry Single shot from Mrcrossbow

Old 11-22-2019, 03:25 AM

Default I remember reading

About the .308's in particular cracking stocks in the tang area from recoil? Maybe they got this sorted out /bedding or just some flawed wood? They looked nice .The owner asked what calibers we would like to see and the .303 British came up,reply "we may look into that for you".A .22 Hornet as well perhaps.