Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Rcmp: 813 guns lost by and stolen from police and public agencies, 2005-2019

How do the police lose so many guns? I can understand the theft but how do you lose a handgun?

The RCMP should look at cleaning up their act before banning citizens property.

https://dennisryoung.ca/wp-content/u...uly-3-2019.pdf
Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 PM

I've read that it wasn't just handguns that the RCMP have lost, but sub-machine guns too, I assume MP5s. That's plural for sub-machine guns, as in they've lost more than one.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM

That's crazy. In 2015 they lost over 200 firearms? Lol that doesn't count the stolen firearms. Had a friend "borrow" a ticket book back in the late 90s. He had some fun with that one. Used to repair police cruisers on occasion. Most of the time everything was removed but ever once in a while their trunk was full of gear. I never took anything as it would be pretty obvious what had happened. But we would laugh at the carelessness.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM

I wonder how many of these "lost" weapons found their way into the members safes.

They lost and had a "machine gun" stolen.... are we talking M249s here...WTF someone should be fired an charged
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM

And they are worried about civilians being irresponsible as to safely storing firearms.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And they are worried about civilians being irresponsible as to safely storing firearms.
exactly, it's always easier to point fingers, than look at yourself
Old 07-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
That's crazy. In 2015 they lost over 200 firearms? Lol that doesn't count the stolen firearms. Had a friend "borrow" a ticket book back in the late 90s. He had some fun with that one. Used to repair police cruisers on occasion. Most of the time everything was removed but ever once in a while their trunk was full of gear. I never took anything as it would be pretty obvious what had happened. But we would laugh at the carelessness.

2015 is the first year Justin the dim witted was elected. probably more than a few members wanted a gun or two for the upstairs attic. those would be the pragmatic members.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post

They lost and had a "machine gun" stolen.... are we talking M249s here...WTF someone should be fired an charged
Lol you really don't know how this works, do you?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM

How can they charge anyone for unsafe storage if they can’t keep track of their own guns?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Banned

not surprised. The RCMP are bunch of useless lots.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 PM

This makes me feel better about myself as a human being. Im an adult and have yet to lose anything worth more than $25. Let alone my guns.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This makes me feel better about myself as a human being. Im an adult and have yet to lose anything worth more than $25. Let alone my guns.
Picture perfect.........

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-12-2019, 06:33 AM

So how exactly do you lose 13 sub machine guns, and a machine gun? They are such a danger to the public, that they are prohibited, and the police just lose them? I can only wonder what really happened to them, did the officers looking after them steal them, or sell them?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I wonder how many of these "lost" weapons found their way into the members safes.
Member’s safes indeed.....
A good buddy of mine in NB had a rather valuable rare old .410 O/U seized by RCMP on a BS nuisance complaint filed by a vindictive neighbor.
The BS charge was dismissed without going to trial,and when he went to retreive his pet grouse gun,local RCMP told him they didn’t have it,it was in possession of Fredericton PD in evidence locker.Jumped through all the hoops for over a year to prove to FPD that case had been dismissed,only to be told that the gun had been “signed out” by an FPD member for “dispatching roadkill”.At this point he got his lawyer involved...AGAIN...and with considerable effort over several more months was able to force FPD to track down the gun and have it returned to FPD HQ to be returned to its rightful owner.
Roadkill dispatch my arz......
Old 07-12-2019, 11:14 AM

If I read this correctly, the 813 weapons are not just RCMP but include other Government departments?

It would be interesting to see if there is a break down by department/agency. eg RCMP, DFO, CF etc.

I suspect (hope) some of these are potentially clerical in nature ie stock adjustments/bad input etc
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 PM

1.12 firearms a week...awesome.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 PM

I was wondering what was going on here... it's been awhile since we had a "Mountie Bash-A-Thon". Between this thread and the "Strathmore Incident" it seems like we are back on track...

Let'er rip boys!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I was wondering what was going on here... it's been awhile since we had a "Mountie Bash-A-Thon". Between this thread and the "Strathmore Incident" it seems like we are back on track...

Let'er rip boys!
Any insight as to how they lost track of 813 firearms? Or are you just going to whine, because people want to hold the police accountable?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:22 AM

He must have expanded his search terms, wasn't that many last year when he did it, seems to me I posted that in the C71 thread, it's somewhere in there anyway.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

Let'er rip boys!
Do you care to elaborate on the subject of missing firearms and the RCMPs' ineptitude? The sheer number of missing guns should be quite disconcerting to the general public.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Do you care to elaborate on the subject of missing firearms and the RCMPs' ineptitude? The sheer number of missing guns should be quite disconcerting to the general public.
Sure,

There are 180 RCMP detachments nationally. In addition there are approximately 150 specialized units such as Homicide, Drugs, National Security, commercial Crime, General investigations (vice), internet fraud, child exploitation etc. These units range in size of usually 8-20 members or the same size of small detachment. There is then 190 municipal and aboriginal police forces. Then there is the entire Canadian military, CBSA, provincial police forces, sheriff and municipal enforcements which are armed

163 stolen. So a conservative estimate would be a Detachment, municipal force, border crossing, or military base on. average has .2 of a firearm stolen every 15 years.

Over 600 lost. I imagine a vast majority of these are destroyed firearms which which were not properly reported or documented. Many police forces went to compete electronic reporting in 2005-06. If I was to guess I would imagine in 2015 the national chiefs of police decided on an audit of firearms in police custody.

Dennis Young loves asking questions that provide a certain response without providing the whole picture, much like an anti-activist. I also laugh when I hear he is a retired RCMP Member . He quit after 4 years and has been trying to prove he is better than the RCMP ever since. I worked on a farmer during high school and was also a short order cook. I guess I am a retired farmer and chef.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Sure,

There are 180 RCMP detachments nationally. In addition there are approximately 150 specialized units such as Homicide, Drugs, National Security, commercial Crime, General investigations (vice), internet fraud, child exploitation etc. These units range in size of usually 8-20 members or the same size of small detachment. There is then 190 municipal and aboriginal police forces. Then there is the entire Canadian military, CBSA, provincial police forces, sheriff and municipal enforcements which are armed

163 stolen. So a conservative estimate would be a Detachment, municipal force, border crossing, or military base on. average has .2 of a firearm stolen every 15 years.

Over 600 lost. I imagine a vast majority of these are destroyed firearms which which were not properly reported or documented. Many police forces went to compete electronic reporting in 2005-06. If I was to guess I would imagine in 2015 the national chiefs of police decided on an audit of firearms in police custody.

Dennis Young loves asking questions that provide a certain response without providing the whole picture, much like an anti-activist. I also laugh when I hear he is a retired RCMP Member . He quit after 4 years and has been trying to prove he is better than the RCMP ever since. I worked on a farmer during high school and was also a short order cook. I guess I am a retired farmer and chef.
The bottom line, is that they can't explain where these firearms are. How do you suppose it would go over if a civilian couldn't explain where his restricted firearm is, and his response was, that he must have lost it?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Let'er rip boys!
So between two threads on two specific issues, you consider that to be a Mountie bashing epidemic? Do you think that it's ever okay to hold the Police accountable?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The bottom line, is that they can't explain where these firearms are. How do you suppose it would go over if a civilian couldn't explain where his restricted firearm is, and his response was, that he must have lost it?

That is reported daily in our country. It is an offence to not report a lost or stolen firearm; sec. 105. That means it is a mandatory statement and can not be used against you in court, same as a provincial collision statement.

You got a couple of names of people that have been charged and convicted when reporting a firearm lost or stolen?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
That is reported daily in our country. It is an offence to not report a lost or stolen firearm; sec. 105. That means it is a mandatory statement and can not be used against you in court, same as a provincial collision statement.

You got a couple of names of people that have been charged and convicted when reporting a firearm lost or stolen?
So if I went into the local RCMP and told them that I lost two handguns, they would just take down a report and that would simply be the end of it and no charges of any kind would result from me not knowing where they are?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM

It would be interesting to know if any of the 813 firearms were recovered after being used in a crime.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
So if I went into the local RCMP and told them that I lost two handguns, they would just take down a report and that would simply be the end of it and no charges of any kind would result from me not knowing where they are?
Yep. Then they would then be entered on CPIC.

The sad part is a high percentage of gun owner do not record the serial numbers of their non-restricted. Without a serial number the gun can not be entered on CPIC and it could be recovered and no one would ever know.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

Or better yet, police come to your home because of a report of a disturbance, and they ask where your registered firearms are, and you can't produce them, or explain where they are.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Or better yet, police come to your home because of a report of a disturbance, and they ask where your registered firearms are, and you can't produce them, or explain where they are.
Then you could be charged with fail to report lost or stolen firearm.... exactly what are you missing or not comprehending?
Old 07-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Then you could be charged with fail to report lost or stolen firearm.... exactly what are you missing or not comprehending?
I think what he means is that some people might not know that they are lost or missing until they have to produce them.