Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2016, 08:45 PM

Default Releasing accidental catches in leg traps

I tried releasing a accidental catch tonight. And I almost got my ass chewed up. I would need three hands. Two to work the muddy trap and one to hold a cloth on the animals head . Both I only have 2 hands . Does anyone have any good ideas . Maybe a catch pole ?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:22 PM

What were you trying to release, and out of what kind of trap?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I tried releasing a accidental catch tonight. And I almost got my ass chewed up. I would need three hands. Two to work the muddy trap and one to hold a cloth on the animals head . Both I only have 2 hands . Does anyone have any good ideas . Maybe a catch pole ?
A catch pole would help you out for sure.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Banned

Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Bridger 3 , large male fisher . Next time it will be a lynx then I'll really be screwed lol
Old 11-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Gone Hunting

I've never had to release an animal but I wonder, could you use a forked stick (A large, heavy forked stick) to hold the animal down and then stand on the springs to release the jaws enough to let the catch go?

I realize it would be no easy task with a Fisher, but it might be possible.
At least you hands wouldn't be anywhere close to that fur covered buzz saw.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2016, 05:58 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Old 11-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Banned

And what should anyone expect when dealing with any wild animal. I don't think any animal will lie down for a belly rub when in a snare or body trap. I've had muskrats put the run on me, lol. Maybe too many Bambi movies on the PVR..
Incidental catches can be reported to F&W. It is what it is and forget about the pole unless you have help
Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've never had to release an animal but I wonder, could you use a forked stick (A large, heavy forked stick) to hold the animal down and then stand on the springs to release the jaws enough to let the catch go?

X2 I've used a forked stick before with success.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Bridger 3 , large male fisher . Next time it will be a lynx then I'll really be screwed lol
Just bonk him next time. You're allowed one incidental fisher and Lynx up here in the GP area anyway. If you happen to catch a second one a heavy canvas sack works well. Once they're in the dark they tend to calm down and you can work the springs. Then just lay the sack down and stand back. I don't suggest trying to shake him out of the bag, heard it can get dicey, fast lol
Old 11-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Just bonk him next time. You're allowed one incidental fisher and Lynx up here in the GP area anyway. If you happen to catch a second one a heavy canvas sack works well. Once they're in the dark they tend to calm down and you can work the springs. Then just lay the sack down and stand back. I don't suggest trying to shake him out of the bag, heard it can get dicey, fast lol
Not dicey getting them in the sack? I put a stick over one's neck and trapped foot and amputated three broken toes with no problem. Hold the stick down with your knee.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Good luck getting that past the f&w, ours anyway. Had to wait a good month to get a coni fisher back with resident licence. And you have to state how you caught the animal as well...
Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
This ****es me right off.

Why can you keep a incidental lynx and fischer in one area, but not another. You can not keep a incidental lynx or fisher in my WMU, but the one next to it, you can. It's not pop numbers either. It's the individual FandW office who says no and the other one says yes.

Why can you easily be issued a damage control permit for coyotes on a farm in one WMU, but the one next to it you can't. Again its the FandW's personal decision and the ones in one WMU decide sure and the ones in another decide no.

This crap has to end with FandW. Officer's enforce their own personal beliefs and are allowed to enforce different rules than the next officer.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
Not dicey getting them in the sack? I put a stick over one's neck and trapped foot and amputated three broken toes with no problem. Hold the stick down with your knee.
Well from what I've been told no 😉 I can't honestly say that I've done it myself but I do recall listening to a mentor recount one such event.

No this is the same guy who catches Lynx in a soft catch and sexes them before dispatching because he doesn't want to kill a female.

The theory was the animal wants to hide in the sack and didn't resist going in.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post

Why can you keep a incidental lynx and fischer in one area, but not another. You can not keep a incidental lynx or fisher in my WMU, but the one next to it, you can. It's not pop numbers either. It's the individual FandW office who says no and the other one says yes.

Why can you easily be issued a damage control permit for coyotes on a farm in one WMU, but the one next to it you can't. Again its the FandW's personal decision and the ones in one WMU decide sure and the ones in another decide no.

This crap has to end with FandW. Officer's enforce their own personal beliefs and are allowed to enforce different rules than the next officer.
I'm not sure why one area is more flexible on these incidentals then another. But I agree a hard and fast rule across the board would be beneficial
Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

Do you have to take incidental catches into the district office that your RFMA is in or could you take it to a different district office?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Do you have to take incidental catches into the district office that your RFMA is in or could you take it to a different district office?
I've never had one Dave that I had to report. A friend of mine is a resident trapper in the GP area and this is what F&W told him when he brought in a Fisher last season.
I would say if it was on an RFMA it would have to go to the district office your line was on.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Damage permits are entirely at the discretion of the individual officer per policy. Coyotes in farm predation situations are entirely Dept. of Agriculture, everything else F&W
Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Damage permits are entirely at the discretion of the individual officer per policy. Coyotes in farm predation situations are entirely Dept. of Agriculture, everything else F&W
interesting.. I was told by my FandW office that they issue these permits and "we never will issue them".
Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
interesting.. I was told by my FandW office that they issue these permits and "we never will issue them".
Is there a reason that you can't take the catch to a different district office.....one that would let you keep it?

I have two near me and I deal with both. Both are great to deal with but if one was good with me and the other was harder to deal with, I know which one that I'd deal with.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Default Accidental catches

I heard of a guy using a piece of plywood between himself and the toothy end of the critter. He did it for a lynx and got it out withtout getting bit.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your F&W office doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. This is not that unusual.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Is there a reason that you can't take the catch to a different district office.....one that would let you keep it?

I have two near me and I deal with both. Both are great to deal with but if one was good with me and the other was harder to deal with, I know which one that I'd deal with.
regulations say "to the closest FandW office" I believe.

I have been going to another county to buy my liscense and submit numbers and that office was fully explained why when they questioned me.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Your F&W office doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. This is not that unusual.
Ive said it here before.

Many officers do not know the laws they are supposed to enforce, yet won't listen when you explain they are wrong. The worst is when you get **** from them and then find out after the fact they are wrong.

Many officers actually know the law, but they tell you "we want you to..." So they know the law, but then they word things to you so that you think they are telling you what the law is, but its really "what we want you to do..".

I'm tellin you, next time you have a talk with a officer about a issue, always start with "according to the law as it's written, what I am I supposed to do when..."..

I learned this when a officer worded things to me that made me think I can not pick up road kill and take it to their office to use it for bait. I was told by the officer "we don't want you touching road kill. We want you to call us so we can investigate to ensure it was not part of a poaching incident. If we determine it is not then we will inform you to pick it up".

the law actually says I can take road kill for bait as long as I take it to the nearest office when I can to get the paper work for it. I do not have to wait for them to come look at it.

I never had ANY bait that year because that officer wouldn't let me touch road kill. By the time an officer looked at the road kill, it was nothing but bones or drug off into the bush
Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM

I would say find a friend that is willing to help. Other wise your screwed!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ive said it here before.

Many officers do not know the laws they are supposed to enforce, yet won't listen when you explain they are wrong. The worst is when you get **** from them and then find out after the fact they are wrong.

Many officers actually know the law, but they tell you "we want you to..." So they know the law, but then they word things to you so that you think they are telling you what the law is, but its really "what we want you to do..".

I'm tellin you, next time you have a talk with a officer about a issue, always start with "according to the law as it's written, what I am I supposed to do when..."..

I learned this when a officer worded things to me that made me think I can not pick up road kill and take it to their office to use it for bait. I was told by the officer "we don't want you touching road kill. We want you to call us so we can investigate to ensure it was not part of a poaching incident. If we determine it is not then we will inform you to pick it up".

the law actually says I can take road kill for bait as long as I take it to the nearest office when I can to get the paper work for it. I do not have to wait for them to come look at it.

I never had ANY bait that year because that officer wouldn't let me touch road kill. By the time an officer looked at the road kill, it was nothing but bones or drug off into the bush
Well said!
Old 11-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

I don't have to take the roadkill anywhere but to my bait site here. Both district offices that I deal with have similar policies as written below. Sometimes they already know that a roadkill is there.

"Most times we will have no issue with allowing you to pick up road kill just over the phone but suggest to take photos of the animal at the location that shows it was road kill to assist us in allowing the use."

I would send an email to the district office that you have to deal with and get a written reply. If you aren't happy with the district office's (Officer's) position on salvaging roadkills then take your concerns higher to the main office in Edmonton.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't have to take the roadkill anywhere but to my bait site here. Both district offices that I deal with have similar policies as written below. Sometimes they already know that a roadkill is there.

"Most times we will have no issue with allowing you to pick up road kill just over the phone but suggest to take photos of the animal at the location that shows it was road kill to assist us in allowing the use."

I would send an email to the district office that you have to deal with and get a written reply. If you aren't happy with the district office's (Officer's) position on salvaging roadkills then take your concerns higher to the main office in Edmonton.
Can you only pick up a road kill for bait? The act says for a 10$ permit you can pick up a road kill, no specific reason just report it? It looks like it's the law not district policy. If you do it according to policy maybe thats a way of eliminating the 10$ fee.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you only pick up a road kill for bait? The act says for a 10$ permit you can pick up a road kill, no specific reason just report it? It looks like it's the law not district policy. If you do it according to policy maybe thats a way of eliminating the 10$ fee.
I'm pretty sure that the permit that you are referring to is for found dead wildlife (ie. skulls, antlers, dead birds of prey, etc). I've picked up roadkill for bait and for my own consumption and I don't recall ever paying a fee for any of it.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
This looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=j0LPX-AeKNk