Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Banned

Default Regulation Question

In the real world of trapping, esp. on a RFMA where a trapper might be checking traps and snares in the dark, What happens if you come across a live animal in a trap at night? I don't remember coming across this scenario in the trappers manual.
Can a trapper get permission from ESRD which allows him to dispatch an animal with a firearm at night?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM

Good question , from the Official subsistence thread on hunting discussion , if native yes ! Rest of us , I'm betting not .Let us know for sure when you find out .
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 PM

The short answer is no. That being said who is going to see you do it out on the line
Old 01-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Good question , from the Official subsistence thread on hunting discussion , if native yes ! Rest of us , I'm betting not .Let us know for sure when you find out .
I would post the question on the "ask fish and wildlife whats the law" thread in hunting section, but I have never gotten a responce from that thread. Not really sure if anyone ever even looks at that thread from fish and game as others have said they never recieved a reply
Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM

I have had coyotes snared at night, caught around the arm pits....I slip another snare around the neck with a pole and cinch it up tight....2 mins later, you can take that snare off and maybe even use it again.

LC
Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 PM

No you can not dispatch using a firearm after dark legally with out permission.

A base ball bat?

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:12 AM

As much as I dislike this practice... I give them a wack in the head and stand on a pole across the chest to remove the air. Aka suffocate. I am not proud or advocate this action. I would rather see a snared yote be dispatched quickly than not. Hence kill springs that I use. Also 22 shorts are a handy ally. Also I have heard of guys using a high powered pellet gun 1200fps shooting yotes in the head. ( in the daylight of course).
Old 01-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Pm's might be a good idea. I check in the dark most of the time. A member here shared a method for coyotes with me that seems to work well and is humane.

Like Bill I'd rather have the snare do the work but it doesn't happen that way 100% of the time.

Pm me and I will share the method I was told and you can decide for yourself if it will work to your satisfaction.

Remember to be careful, once you enter the catch circle you are risking being bitten. Coyotes seem to be about ten times faster than you think they should be!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Pm's might be a good idea. I check in the dark most of the time. A member here shared a method for coyotes with me that seems to work well and is humane.

Like Bill I'd rather have the snare do the work but it doesn't happen that way 100% of the time.

Pm me and I will share the method I was told and you can decide for yourself if it will work to your satisfaction.

Remember to be careful, once you enter the catch circle you are risking being bitten. Coyotes seem to be about ten times faster than you think they should be!
10 times is much too low .. try lightning !!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Use your cable cutter. That's what the Americans do...

Oh... Maybe when they are visiting in Canada. At home they pull their handgun out of their holster and shoot it in the head, the way it was meant to be.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Use your cable cutter. That's what the Americans do...

Oh... Maybe when they are visiting in Canada. At home they pull their handgun out of their holster and shoot it in the head, the way it was meant to be.
I never felt the need to own a handgun until I started trapping. I see a need now but don't think I would be given a permit to carry as a resident trapper. Have any resident trappers managed to get a permit?