Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Smile Some advice needed please!

Hi Guys/Gals,
I am being sent to Calgary for work next week, and I thought I should bring a fly rod and fish the bow while I 'm there! I would appreciate being pointed to a good place to fly fish in or near town. Direction needed as I have no clue about Calgary ( I do have a gsp thought! ).
As usuall thanks for all the help in advance!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Bogman10
Let us know where in Calgary you are staying and then we can give better directions. A couple of good places to fish are in Fish Creek park (right in the city), or head down to policemans flats off of Dunbow Rd for just out of town fishing.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 PM

That is something I don't know yet, should have Itinerary set later today or tommorrow, will update a.s.a.p.!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Smile Ok now I know where I'll be..

Glenmore inn

So I guess anywhere near there or not too far out of town would be great! I'm guessing Hoppers and a dropper patterns?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Ok from the Glenmore Inn go west on Glenmore Tr and take the Deerfoot south turn off. South on Deerfoot to the Bow Bottom Tr / Anderson turn off keep left on the turn off to take Bow Bottom Tr south. Follow Bow Bottom Tr south to Fish Creek Park. Once in Fish Creek Park there are a couple of turn off's to the left that you can take and both are good Bankside/Burnsmead are two park and walk area's along with Hull's Wood a little farther along into the park is a good spot to fish. Click on the link to take you to a map of the park, it should be helpful. Look in the information tab then park map.
http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/fishcreek/ewmap.asp
I would start out with a hopper / dropper as well. The dropper could be a San Juan worm, Hairs Ear, Pheasant tail, or an Evil Weevil might work well.
Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Russ C
Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM

For dries you can try some small mayflies and late in the evening the caddis come out to play.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Whats your schedule like ?? Will you be finished at a reasonable time during the day ?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
Whats your schedule like ?? Will you be finished at a reasonable time during the day ?
I will be working 8am to 4:30 pm Mon to Thrus, then leaving for Edmonton Friday. Will be in Cal sunday to check in the Hotel and take a Dry run to the yard 4 -5 pm Sunday.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Ok from the Glenmore Inn go west on Glenmore Tr and take the Deerfoot south turn off. South on Deerfoot to the Bow Bottom Tr / Anderson turn off keep left on the turn off to take Bow Bottom Tr south. Follow Bow Bottom Tr south to Fish Creek Park. Once in Fish Creek Park there are a couple of turn off's to the left that you can take and both are good Bankside/Burnsmead are two park and walk area's along with Hull's Wood a little farther along into the park is a good spot to fish. Click on the link to take you to a map of the park, it should be helpful. Look in the information tab then park map.
http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/fishcreek/ewmap.asp
I would start out with a hopper / dropper as well. The dropper could be a San Juan worm, Hairs Ear, Pheasant tail, or an Evil Weevil might work well.
Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Russ C
Russ, thanks for all the help! If I can think of any Q's I will get in touch. This is the best sight!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Just thought of a Q!

What weight rod do you recommend?
I have ( all in 9' ) A 5,6,or 7 weight.
Thx
Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Any or all would be fine. 5 weight for dries, the 6 or 7 for streamers. Just be willing to switch up during the day don't just fish dries all day or streamers. Variety will catch you more fish. Russ C