Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 07:28 PM

All my target rifles have the same 20moa rail and one quality scope and rings are shared between these rifles. Usually 3-5 shots max to zero in. As far as mounting a new scope/rings/ to a new rifle Elkhunters post pretty much sums up the best procedure
Old 08-06-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Good helpy post.

I’ll be hitting the range lots over the next three weeks

Kids need to shoot thief big bangers more.

Lay off the gophers for a bit

I had a buddy instruct me on this other sight in method.

Shooter shoots at 25 or 50.... if he hits paper, he stays looking at the zero while a buddy clicks over the scope so the scope zero hits POI

Then shoot for center again... see how she goes.

This of course depends on the shooter maintaining their shooting position well.

It gets a guy able to shoot the 100yard paper quicker..... for adjustments of 3groups.

I’ve tried this and ya.... she works

Anyone else do this?

been doing it that way for years, works well. I normally start at 30 - 35yds. and use a cardboard box,,,
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I set the rifle on the rest and bags, remove the bolt , and then center the 100m target in the bore. Then I adjust the crosshairs so that they are also centered on the target with the bore. Then I shoot at 100m , and am always on the target with the first shot. If I am several inches from dead center, I fire one shot, and then make a rough adjustment, and then fire a three shot group, to base my fine adjustment on. Then it's usually one fine adjustment, and one more group to verify.
This is my method as well. Works good for me too!
Old 08-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I set the rifle on the rest and bags, remove the bolt , and then center the 100m target in the bore. Then I adjust the crosshairs so that they are also centered on the target with the bore. Then I shoot at 100m , and am always on the target with the first shot. If I am several inches from dead center, I fire one shot, and then make a rough adjustment, and then fire a three shot group, to base my fine adjustment on. Then it's usually one fine adjustment, and one more group to verify.
This what i do to and it works awesome. Except after the 100 yard paper looking through bore and matching the crosshair...i shoot at 200 where i'm going to zero and i'm still close enough to walk it in in a few shots.

Little different if you don't have a bolt action then i'll start at 25 yards and start working things out from there. Takes a lot more shots.

Another tip i've found if guys are struggling with groups wandering a bit as they chase the bull of the bull...is to really get a hold of the rifle and mean those shots. Hold it like it's the last gun you'll ever see in your life and someone is trying to take it away from you.

If i'm ***** footing around and allowing too much free recoil i find looser groups and harder to get it zero'd perfect...but as soon as i strangle the gun a bit, both hands, hold harder into the bag or bipod, drive my cheek into the stock a bit more, and shoot like i mean it...groups shrink, and poi is consistent. And with lightweight sporter rifles this makes a noticeable difference for me. Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:27 AM

I have a method of bore sighting a new rifle or new scope that has always worked for me. I have a wooden gate outside my front door that is about 10 yards from my kitchen table, that I can see though my front door. I affixed a small orange cross bullseye target to the gate. I clamp the rifle in my gun vise on the kitchen table , and with the bolt out, looking down the bore, carefully center the bore on the bullseye. Then adjust the scope's cross hairs to center on the bullseye. This has always put me on paper @ 100 yards. One scope needed only 3 clicks to hit center @ 100 yards.
I've always zeroed hunting rifles @ 200 or 250 or 300 yards depending on cartridge. Our range is only 100 yards so I have to rely on ballistic calculators to adjust to POI @ 100 yards. Sighting in @ 200 yards would probably be more accurate but require a few more shots/adjustments/second guesses?
Old 08-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
This what i do to and it works awesome. Except after the 100 yard paper looking through bore and matching the crosshair...i shoot at 200 where i'm going to zero and i'm still close enough to walk it in in a few shots.

Little different if you don't have a bolt action then i'll start at 25 yards and start working things out from there. Takes a lot more shots.

Another tip i've found if guys are struggling with groups wandering a bit as they chase the bull of the bull...is to really get a hold of the rifle and mean those shots. Hold it like it's the last gun you'll ever see in your life and someone is trying to take it away from you.

If i'm ***** footing around and allowing too much free recoil i find looser groups and harder to get it zero'd perfect...but as soon as i strangle the gun a bit, both hands, hold harder into the bag or bipod, drive my cheek into the stock a bit more, and shoot like i mean it...groups shrink, and poi is consistent. And with lightweight sporter rifles this makes a noticeable difference for me. Hope that helps.
I will take you up on that advice, Stinky!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I will take you up on that advice, Stinky!
Just watch that you are not putting too much tension into holding the the or things will go bad quickly .
Consistent pressure without torquing anything out of line is the key
Cat
Old 08-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Just watch that you are not putting too much tension into holding the the or things will go bad quickly .
Consistent pressure without torquing anything out of line is the key
Cat
Absolutely, Cat! That's the reason I had been using a lighter touch historically - Just need to balance that out now.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:36 AM
Banned

Lol, Cat is right. You can overdo it.

You almost have to get a little angry, serious like somebody's about to get a time out serious...at the target, at the gun, and at yourself. Get that mindset that you're going to hold that dam crosshair on that bull like a rock, you hold that dam rifle like a rock, and you send that dam bullet with some meaning.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 PM

I have tried the "removing of the bolt" setting the gun in a rest and taking a mental note of the scope adjustment (without moving the rifle) and then making the adjustment and repeating until it's perfect YET this simply gets me (usually) "on paper". Usually but barely.

One thing that I bought (and should have bought years earlier) was the laser bore sighter. I set it up in the basement down the hall and dial it in close (like 12m-14m), then repeat once across the back yard (nearing dusk) on the dark fence (30-35m) then go to the range.

I also rotate the bore sighter to make sure the crown isn't wonky (I use the magnetic Wheeler)

then off to the range.

I shoot 1 (make sure it's on paper and it usually is) then another 2 (3 shots)

Adjust

Shoot another 3

Make any "fine tunes"

Then do 3 shots at 200 or 300 to make sure it's good

9 shots - and an easy way for most people to get it dialed in.

The first 6 usually do it. The 3 last shots are usually insurance.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 PM

If I am checking zeo I start at 100yds and shoot 3 shot groups. I go by the center of the group for adjustments. If it is a new scope I bore sight at 25 and a 3 shot group. Adjust and move to 100 and sight in. Then I like to double check at 200 just to make sure things are on the up and up. One thing I do different is I barely hold the rifle. Only light pressure around the pistol grip. This method gives me great groups. Of coarse try to do everything the same each shot. My thought has been death gripping brings in to much human error. Then when my field is combined I have started taking my gong out for longer range verification.
As Cat said the more you can shoot the better you will get. This shooting should be serious concentrating on shooting a tiny group shooting. If it isn't you will just create more bad habits. None of us need more bad habits do we.