Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
Went to my doctor this morning, no social distancing floor decals, no hand sanitizer and no masks. reaffirms my position on this fake plandemic. It's pure and simple bull%$@)
Knock...Knock...Knocking on heavens door.....

perhaps its their way of getting rid of you.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Tried one at work yesterday for an hour or so. Glasses kept fogging up when reading the computer screen, the hot breath going down to the chest was not at all pleasant in the heat of the day, even with A/C in the counter area. It does force a person to speak loud and clear on the phone, which some people interpret as being hollered at. It makes very little sense to me as I work on a busy counter, have been all thru this, without a mask. We see people from all over the continent at that counter, have been all along.
All I can say is, along with other issues and conditions in that place, this may well be the end of that job for me next wk. It's just more suck than I am willing to put up with overall, pretty tolerant of a lot of krap, but, there is a limit.
Seems kinda silly to quit a job because of something as minimal as wearing a mask As only 1% of the population has been exposed, "we're a long way from done" and whatever job you apply to will probably have the same requirement.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineFlyFisher View Post
I, and many others, will not comply.
good luck....so you have to get to a hospital...your insides are burning and your about to fall over etc...at the hospital they tell you to mask up...or deal with your possible life ending issue

good luck....

Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually, many people see this restriction as nothing more than virtue signaling. The peak of the pandemic is over, and if masks were not required in the past, it's hard to justify why they would all of a sudden be a consideration now that things are getting back to normal. And the mistrust held by many people, is also based on the lack of trust for the Edmonton mayor and council.
You have a pretty great crystal ball if you're confident that the "peak of the pandemic" is over. If you're that sure then it's time for you to go big into the markets cuz you'll make a killing when this thing is over.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
good luck....so you have to get to a hospital...your insides are burning and your about to fall over etc...at the hospital they tell you to mask up...or deal with your possible life ending issue

good luck....

Here's what it looks like to be 59 years old and to be infected. Remember he's not part of the 1.5% that die, he's part of the 18% that get serious symptoms.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1767452227703
Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You have a pretty great crystal ball if you're confident that the "peak of the pandemic" is over. If you're that sure then it's time for you to go big into the markets cuz you'll make a killing when this thing is over.
I don't need a crystal ball to see that the markets have recovered far beyond what most people expected, so it's not likely that a person is going to make a killing anytime soon. Now if you bought back in months ago, your holding likely have increased greatly in value. The point is that there are far fewer cases now than there were months ago, so if masks weren't justified then, it's hard to justify them now.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Here's what it looks like to be 59 years old and to be infected. Remember he's not part of the 1.5% that die, he's part of the 18% that get serious symptoms.

and that's the other side of this beast...long and short term side affects....so your bullet proof and so full of yourself...you get it....bounce back but internally it is say slowly giving you a heart condition etc.....I say smarten up and do what you can to protect yourself and others....don't have to run to the hills just be cautious/courteous....

Old 07-30-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't need a crystal ball to see that the markets have recovered far beyond what most people expected, so it's not likely that a person is going to make a killing anytime soon. Now if you bought back in months ago, your holding likely have increased greatly in value. The point is that there are far fewer cases now than there were months ago, so if masks weren't justified then, it's hard to justify them now.
hmm masks weren't justified then because the economy was in lockdown for the most part...now we are starting to open up so that being said mask up and follow guidelines or we will be in a real bad place real quick....

Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 AM

IF anyone's worried about getting the big corona, put on your mask whilst going about contaminating everything
you touch & scratch, for you are now protected with your "baa's". But know, the shearing season is
fast incoming & will not escape..'for those that try to save their lives..etc'
Old 07-30-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:

That 59 year old has COPD, and was grossly overweight, so covid effected him much more than the average person.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
hmm masks weren't justified then because the economy was in lockdown for the most part...now we are starting to open up so that being said mask up and follow guidelines or we will be in a real bad place real quick....
We still went to grocery stores, and many other retail outlets, and many people still worked with other people, so it's not like there was no exposure. Yes you can get a haircut now and go to a gym now, but for most people, the exposure hasn't increased dramatically.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:04 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
1. It boils down to trust. Any time a government enacts legislation that impinges one's freedoms, a critical eye in required. In this case we have a municipal government enacting bylaws pertaining to what is essentially a global medical issue.

2. The efficacy of masks is in question. Neither Dr Tam nor Dr Hinshaw have directed that masks are required in all public places/private business. They have recommended them where maintaining 2 meters is not possible.

3. Credibility of experts is increasingly in question based on evolving science and data that is often conflicting and has thus resulted in conflicting recommendations. Dr Tam initially said masks were not effective and may be harmful. The head of the Dutch medical agency has expressed that masks are largely ineffective in the battle against COVID 19 as recently as yesterday.

4. The most "at risk" population based on the data appears to be the elderly and this is in hospitals and long term care facilities. Average age of death is 83. Out of 190 deaths, only 15 were under the age of 70. I believe most would agree that masking up in extended care homes and hospitals is best practice. I personally would extend this to aircraft, movie theatres, and sports events (the minimum 2 meter distance is unable to be maintained).

5. Seasonal flu in 2018/19 season(9 month duration) killed 52 Albertans. There were 7698 hospital diagnosed cases, 1976 people hospitalized, and 228 ICU admissions. At no point was the public instructed to wear masks and there seems to be no discussion about whether this is a requirement going forward.

6. There is a lack of trust in the media. Blame it on lazy journalism, excessive "opinion" and "analysis" columns, domestic politics (ie govt funded media). centralized private media ownership, foreign state actors, or C (all of the above). This creates mistrust and leaves the public questioning motives.

7. Lastly, and this is conjecture, as Canadians, I suspect that many see the wearing of masks outside of specific situations as surrendering to fear - the fear of death, the fear of the unknown, and fear of lack of control over this disease.
*SLOW CLAP*

Very well articulated sir...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Absolutely, according to the bylaw a face covering is any medical or non medical mask that fully covers the face, nose and chin.
I could wear a military gas mask without any filters and still meet the definition.
The link I posted earlier seems to be down so they could be making changes already.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
and that's the other side of this beast...long and short term side affects....so your bullet proof and so full of yourself...you get it....bounce back but internally it is say slowly giving you a heart condition etc.....I say smarten up and do what you can to protect yourself and others....don't have to run to the hills just be cautious/courteous....
You got it. Here's a study released a few days ago showing that well over half of those that had a mild case's of covid still had damage done to their hearts.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916
Old 07-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
good luck....so you have to get to a hospital...your insides are burning and your about to fall over etc...
..at the hospital they tell you to mask up...or deal with your possible life ending issue

good luck....
Let's just be real, the bolded is merely inner fear being broadcasted outward..
Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 AM

2 more days... hope everyone is ready for the **** show that will occur across the province. Stock up on those masks and sanitizers if you haven’t got them.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
We still went to grocery stores, and many other retail outlets, and many people still worked with other people, so it's not like there was no exposure. Yes you can get a haircut now and go to a gym now, but for most people, the exposure hasn't increased dramatically.
exposure has increased dramatically just look at our beaches etc....people start letting their guard down.....get that it wont happen to me....whats my chances..well the numbers start rising...proof is in the pudding...this virus luvs idiots....at the end of the day someone will step in and make things mandatory for the betterment of all....that's how we operate as a society....hence why we have rules, regs, laws....all developed over time....no different then us currently now dealing with this virus.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:19 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Let's just be real, the bolded is merely inner fear being broadcasted outward..
bonne chance mes amis...since we are a bilingual country.

now I got to get back to my underground bunker to ensure my supplies are current....

Old 07-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
That 59 year old has COPD, and was grossly overweight, so covid effected him much more than the average person.
Actually he didn't have COPD, but he did have high blood pressure and was over weight. His pre sickness weight/build was probably similiar to many on this forum.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:23 AM

Why are our guberments making such a big deal out of COVID when cancer kills far more everyday.

Everyday due to COVID others with chronic disease are being bumped because of covid and do not receive treatments.

How many people are dying everyday because of Covid even though they haven't been infected by Covid.

Yet our guberments do nothing to help these people.

BW
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
...this virus luvs idiots.... someone will step in and make things mandatory for
the betterment of all... .... .
And too, the idiots luv the experts..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYI6ngjDUBo
Old 07-30-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Actually he didn't have COPD, but he did have high blood pressure and was over weight. His pre sickness weight/build was probably similiar to many on this forum.
He lost almost 100lbs, I doubt that many of us could lose 100lbs and still be alive.

Quote:
One-hundred and five days in hospital later, he’s close to 100 pounds lighter, is using a walker and has nerve damage in his left arm.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
He lost almost 100lbs, I doubt that many of us could lose 100lbs and still be alive.
I am down 90lbs now... All diet related though... Just a health improvement. Fending off premature death one salad at a time!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-30-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am down 90lbs now... All diet related though... Just a health improvement. Fending off premature death one salad at a time!
It's good that you lost 90lbs, but anyone that really cares about their health would never get 90lbs over weight. Many people could lose 20-40lbs for health reasons, but 90-100, is not typical, even for our society.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
1. It boils down to trust. Any time a government enacts legislation that impinges one's freedoms, a critical eye in required. In this case we have a municipal government enacting bylaws pertaining to what is essentially a global medical issue.

2. The efficacy of masks is in question. Neither Dr Tam nor Dr Hinshaw have directed that masks are required in all public places/private business. They have recommended them where maintaining 2 meters is not possible.

3. Credibility of experts is increasingly in question based on evolving science and data that is often conflicting and has thus resulted in conflicting recommendations. Dr Tam initially said masks were not effective and may be harmful. The head of the Dutch medical agency has expressed that masks are largely ineffective in the battle against COVID 19 as recently as yesterday.

4. The most "at risk" population based on the data appears to be the elderly and this is in hospitals and long term care facilities. Average age of death is 83. Out of 190 deaths, only 15 were under the age of 70. I believe most would agree that masking up in extended care homes and hospitals is best practice. I personally would extend this to aircraft, movie theatres, and sports events (the minimum 2 meter distance is unable to be maintained).

5. Seasonal flu in 2018/19 season(9 month duration) killed 52 Albertans. There were 7698 hospital diagnosed cases, 1976 people hospitalized, and 228 ICU admissions. At no point was the public instructed to wear masks and there seems to be no discussion about whether this is a requirement going forward.

6. There is a lack of trust in the media. Blame it on lazy journalism, excessive "opinion" and "analysis" columns, domestic politics (ie govt funded media). centralized private media ownership, foreign state actors, or C (all of the above). This creates mistrust and leaves the public questioning motives.

7. Lastly, and this is conjecture, as Canadians, I suspect that many see the wearing of masks outside of specific situations as surrendering to fear - the fear of death, the fear of the unknown, and fear of lack of control over this disease.
Very well-thought-out summary.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Actually most people who are around 250 pounds could lose similiar weight. Someone that spends that much time in bed loses almost all of their muscle mass, not just fat.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:29 AM

And Trump’s Dr. Birx is asking states and local governments to mandate masks.

Go figure?
Old 07-30-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
251 active cases in a city of 1,021,628. 0.025% of the population.

Of those 251, using Canada's numbers roughly 7% will die. (FWIW, I think 7% is an extremely high estimate)

17 people. 0.0016% of Edmonton's population.

Of those 17 people, how many are already knocking at death's door through old age or other serious health concerns? How many would have been taken out by the regular flu?
exactly 100% on point !!!! this whole thing is so off already
Old 07-30-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I agree with others on here who say this is a good post. However, since it quoted one of my posts, I feel free to add some comments.

It has become increasingly clear over the last couple of decades that public trust has been eroded. At one time, most of the public accepted what we were told by doctors and public health figures, for example the mass vaccinations against polio, smallpox for international travel and so on. I think social media are to blame for most of this.

Drs. Tam and Hinshaw are reluctant to advocate masks too strongly, perhaps for political reasons. There is a great deal of recent research supporting the wearing of masks in indoor public places.

On a world-wide basis, adults of all ages are at risk although the risk increases exponentially with age (https://www.nber.org/papers/w27597). This may not be evident from Alberta statistics because of the sparse population and relative isolation.

Relatively effective vaccines were available for seasonal influenza, free of charge for everyone. As far as I can tell, seasonal influenza does not leave recovered patients with chronic organ damage.

If people distrust the mainstream media with regard to Covid-19, Google makes it easy to access primary sources. I agree that in many cases, we see opinion or prediction instead of news reporting. However, it seems to me that Reuters and BBC do quite a good job of reporting the facts, with AP a possibility.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Actually most people who are around 250 pounds could lose similiar weight. Someone that spends that much time in bed loses almost all of their muscle mass, not just fat.
So you are telling us that the average weight of a Canadian is 250lbs? Or is 250lbs the exception? Or are you insinuating that the members of AO are dramatically overweight compared to the general public?