Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Another newbie...

In for a wild ride I think...Did some fly fishing at a kid but never serious into it nor properly trained.

Going to St Mary's river for camping in a couple weeks and decided to get back into it.

Ordered Cabelas Prestige Fly Outfit, as was looking around $300..Not sure if that was the best choice or not.

Anyway, anyone have a good resource for learning? Video or book recommendations would be great.

Thinking once Covid quiets down probably take some lessons, but that won't be possible in the near future.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Check out the orvis fly fishing videos on YouTube. They have a bunch of really good instructional stuff on casting, reading rivers, fishing drys / streamers etc.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:27 AM

I agree with above poster. Watch lots of videos and go out and practice. Pay attention to your arm position and movment. It's all about learning to cast the right way and lock it to memory. If you have a friend that's an experience bug chucker maybe see if he can give you some feedback.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Great thanks, will check videos.

Practice wont be a problem with working from home
Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 AM

I keep a Cabela's synch rod as a backup in my fishing bin in case I make a dumb mistake with my nice rod when i am out (or if i have a rod-less friend tagging along for a day). I think they are great for the price! Although the line that comes on them is trash. So if you continue on, I would consider upgrading that part.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:17 AM

For $300 you definitely could have got a much better setup from a fly shop. Cabelas and BPS are not fly shops.
Don't let covid hold you back many shops and guides are taking and fulfilling bookings and it is really ramping up.

We as fly anglers should look at golfers and take notice. If a golfer is going on a golf trip they will drive 1000s of balls at the range.

Spend some serious time working on your cast before the trip in your local school's field, the last place to be frustrated is on the water. To me its a major shame when an angler pays $300+ to be in my boat and just struggles all day with their cast.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:14 AM

Mad River Outfitters has a very well done "Getting Started in Fly Fishing" series on YouTube.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Fly fishing isn't all that hard. At the end of the day, you're just trying to get a fish to take a hook.

Tight lines!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:31 AM

i found your post at the right time. I am also a newbie and that's why I wants to learn about fishing.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:23 PM

10 o'clock...2 o'clock, that's all you need to start!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:36 PM

Chris Myers has fly casting instruction videos. Check out the one on straight line path of the rod tip. Helps to rid yourself of big wide loops. Also watch your back cast and film yourself to make sure you’re doing what you think you’re doing. When you don’t have an instructor, watching instructional videos and filming yourself can help a fair amount. Takes time and patience, but is well worth it.