Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 PM

Default K Country Cutts

Hey guys,

Looking to catch a few cutthroat up in the Kananaskis area, I've done as much research as I can but I can't find a clear cut favourite or even proof that there are still fish in some of the higher up lakes. The stocking reports have helped but I wanted to narrow the list down to a couple. As of right now, I've been thinking either Burstall or Lillian. Looking for quantity over quality, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 PM

Rawson Lake is a good cuttie fishery, especially if you bring a float tube up there.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:38 PM

Tough to find any big ones , but pickle jar is a beautiful hike (though busy) with lots of smallish eager cutties. haven’t managed to get to head wall lakes yet , but looks real scenic and heard some nice ones . Rawson as posted earlier is good choice to.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Rawson is shutdown right now due to grizz activity just as an fyi.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:58 AM

Was just going to say ^^rawson is closed
Old 07-19-2020, 02:24 PM

I guided a guest up to a lake in Kananaskis yesterday and he was constantly catching 16" fish with a few bigger ones - in fact I get my guests into big fish all the time in Kananaskis!
Peter

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 07-19-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:27 PM

Chester Lake and Picklejar lakes are both good options for numbers. Have fished both this year and landed 10 at Chester and 9 at Picklejar. Watridge Lake used to good for numbers and size but I haven't been in a few years. Upper K usually starts to produce well around now as well.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:04 AM

I've never explored K country any and I'd like to. Couple of questions for you guys that know the country. Are there any places a guy random camp and are any of these lakes acessable by quad. Due to bad knees I don't get more than a mile from my van on good days so I can't hike in.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
I've never explored K country any and I'd like to. Couple of questions for you guys that know the country. Are there any places a guy random camp and are any of these lakes acessable by quad. Due to bad knees I don't get more than a mile from my van on good days so I can't hike in.
Your best bet would be to Camp at Elkwood or Boulton Creek and then fish Upper and Lower K lakes. Both campgrounds are beautiful with spots nicely separated from each other and dense trees so you don't feel at all crowded. Both lakes have good access points for fishing that are right at parking spots.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:39 AM

Thanks Brovacs, that will be a good place to start. I'm really just looking for some new scenery after 30+ years spent enjoying lakes and rivers between the Panther north to the Brazeau.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 PM

I lugged my belly boat up to picklejar lakes a few years back. Couldn't keep them off my hook. Tiny but fun. I stopped counting at 30.