Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 PM

Default 6 townships

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-othe...ationFlag=true
Old 12-22-2016, 09:28 AM

now that's more like it,price wise that is long ways up for this guy but someone closer has a great oppurtunity
Old 12-22-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
now that's more like it,price wise that is long ways up for this guy but someone closer has a great oppurtunity
Yeah price seems reasonable, it might reflect the quality as well but with 6 townships you'd have a good quota.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Yeah price seems reasonable, it might reflect the quality as well but with 6 townships you'd have a good quota.
ya and how much forestry etc has been done as well,yep quota would be good up there
Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 PM

That is a little more than a ways up there lol For a guy that was retired and could live up thee for a couple months then it would be a great deal. Should be lots of critters up there
Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Just a quick 12 hour jaunt nube lol.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Default trapline

Good if you have a airplane.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Just a quick 12 hour jaunt nube lol.
Yup lol or more. It's funny how some might think no big deal but there is a little more to it than just checking a few traps if you want to play MR. Trapper.
It seems like for me it is endless in stuff that needs done. I know my list isn't getting any smaller.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I hear torkdiesel is getting one for Christmas!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yup lol or more. It's funny how some might think no big deal but there is a little more to it than just checking a few traps if you want to play MR. Trapper.
It seems like for me it is endless in stuff that needs done. I know my list isn't getting any smaller.
For me it would be the whole experience,fixing cabins,getting fire wood,clearing trail exploring new area,A trapline to me would be no different then my home,it all needs to be looked after and maintained,the Trapping is a tool in our part as conservationist and stewards of the land IMO
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I hear torkdiesel is getting one for Christmas!

Correction!!!

I asked for one, after seeing the look on my wife's face when she saw the total build cost I think my odds of success are shrinking 😳
Old 12-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Correction!!!

I asked for one, after seeing the look on my wife's face when she saw the total build cost I think my odds of success are shrinking 😳
I was rooting for you! Better luck next year!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Correction!!!

Gee, guys, what would your wife say if you asked for a plane? lol
I'm rootin for you Tork.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
For me it would be the whole experience,fixing cabins,getting fire wood,clearing trail exploring new area,A trapline to me would be no different then my home,it all needs to be looked after and maintained,the Trapping is a tool in our part as conservationist and stewards of the land IMO
Ya thats great but are you going to drive 8 hrs to get to your line every few weeks was my point. I don't think you would really last long in wanting to keep a line if that was the case all year long. But maybe I am wrong. I found it more time consuming myself than I had thought it would be. Love every min. of it but there is a lot of work to upkeep
Old 12-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Gee, guys, what would your wife say if you asked for a plane? lol
I'm rootin for you Tork.
It's not as uncommon as you might think. Expensive yes absolutely, but not completely out of reach for many.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have one that I could "maybe" be talked out of....

And there are still those that view a trapline thru rose colored glasses and have not as yet lived in the real world..

""I wanna line 1/2 hr from the bright lites and would be nice if I were home every nite so as I could do up all the fur that came my way""

Last edited by sourdough doug; 12-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 PM

The line I junior on is only 1.5 hours away. I am thankful for that. But i have only one township roughly and is pretty much void of old growth now.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ya thats great but are you going to drive 8 hrs to get to your line every few weeks was my point. I don't think you would really last long in wanting to keep a line if that was the case all year long. But maybe I am wrong. I found it more time consuming myself than I had thought it would be. Love every min. of it but there is a lot of work to upkeep
oh yee of little faith,and that's right you don't know,but if the truth be known if I could have time off to trap and stay then ya 8 hours is nothing to do what I love doing,every body has their own opinion though.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
oh yee of little faith,and that's right you don't know,but if the truth be known if I could have time off to trap and stay then ya 8 hours is nothing to do what I love doing,every body has their own opinion though.
Exactly my point! Very few people have the time to run a line close to home let alone 8 hrs away. I don't doubt you would and could do it if you had the time but most don't.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Nube, you need a good partner on your 7 township line. When you share the work it is not to onerous. F & W use to take into consideration your home location. If you were to far they would not give you the line. I am not sure what the newbie Bio,s will consider reasonable distance from line.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm not too far at all. lol 2 hrs 45 min to my cabin. 8 hrs would be too much. I think I am keeping up just fine on it. Got a lot of Garbage from the last trapper cleaned up now. Old cabin burnt and needing cleaned up. Trapped a new area every year and figure I got enough room to do a 4 year rotation which I think is fair to the animals in the area. Built a cabin and I have more wood cut than is needed. I also took care of a pile of beavers this fall for oil companies that needed removal. And I have done my part to use my line in summer and in winter during trapping seasons and caught a fair amount of fur I would think. Not to mention decimating most of the wolves I know about now..... I can't see a reason why anyone including a Bio should think that I am not doing my part? No partner needed really to do anything major.