Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM

Default snare refusals

So i have a bait site with about a dozen snares around it. i checked it yesterday and had a few smart coyotes come up the the site and turn around right in front of the snares. they did this at three different snares trying to access the bait.

What do you guys do about these smart dogs? i've been snaring in the area for a few years now. my guess is that they have seen my snares before and remember them.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:16 AM

Not too close to bait? Is it happening in open areas or in darker woods?

Maybe , if you have time set a couple foot holds and pull out a couple snares?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM

might be a little close to bait. most snares are about 20-40 yards from the bait. they are set in aspen trees. not very heavy bush so i had to do a lot of "fencing"
Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
might be a little close to bait. most snares are about 20-40 yards from the bait. they are set in aspen trees. not very heavy bush so i had to do a lot of "fencing"
Sounds like you fenced them in well if you had multiples right at the snare , only to turn around. if you have the gear and the time id try a few foot holds. get the smart ones

Did you boil the snares? Were your snares dipped? Baking soda washed?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Default coyotes

The more fencing you do, the more you wreck the set. The set location should be as natural as possible with the exception of the snare and drag. Next time chose your bait location in a thicker place where fencing is not needed.
Fencing will work on fisher,lynx, mink, beaver but coyotes are too suspicious.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Found a lot of times when the dog goes right up to the snare and turns around they smelt it. Seems if they see it they usually just veer off before hand and go around.

Too much fencing is a great point as well. Put the snare where it needs to be and leave it hang. May have the odd weary one detect it one way or another but the next one will trot right on through.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned

It sounds like a spot that I'll be setting at as soon as we get out of this deep freeze. A picture of the area and one of your sets would be helpful.

Could be too much fencing like was already stated. I try to pick spots where I don't have to do much in that regard. Distance doesn't seem too bad to me but that depends on the location. Farmland dogs around here don't seem too concerned with scent on the snare itself (ie set with bare hands) within reason of course.

What I'd do is leave the snares up that are already there and move farther back and set snares on their tracks. This time pick spots that you don't have to do any fencing (between two trees, etc). If they've already gone through there they should be less weary.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 PM

thanks guys! this particular patch of trees doesn't have much for brush so im very limited. ill try to get a few pics tomorrow when i check it.

i don't think its scent as these snares have been boiled in baking soda and left outside in the trees for about 2 months before i set them. the fencing does look out of place so im pretty sure that is the problem. i have one block of trees on this stubble field so i don't have other options unfortunately. just aspens with about 6-7 feet on average between trees.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:34 PM

As others have suggested, forget the fencing unless very subtle like a single grass stem or very thin twig. Just center in the trail with good loop set high for the species. For Coyote I suggest 14" above the ground and a 14" loop or fit loop to the situation within reason.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM

Leave those snares but set a few say 100 yards from your bait. Follow the trails farther back. A coyote switches modes when he gets into cover he's really alert . In the open or very little cover he moves fast and is in survival mode.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Maybe something on your boots they don't like. Do you have lots of snow? Maybe trampled around a bit too much. I try to stay off the trails themselves and look ahead to find a likely site then in and out quick with mimimal time spent right at the site. A good snow always makes a huge difference but I don't see much in the forecast. Hope you get them.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
As others have suggested, forget the fencing unless very subtle like a single grass stem or very thin twig. Just center in the trail with good loop set high for the species. For Coyote I suggest 14" above the ground and a 14" loop or fit loop to the situation within reason.
ya im sure i fenced too much. its pretty much impossible to find any natural funnels on this piece of land. like i said its just some aspen trees with large spaces between trees. how would you tackle an area like this? normally i wouldn't try to set in a spot like this but my trapping permission is limited and i have to use every location i can get on.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Maybe something on your boots they don't like. Do you have lots of snow? Maybe trampled around a bit too much. I try to stay off the trails themselves and look ahead to find a likely site then in and out quick with mimimal time spent right at the site. A good snow always makes a huge difference but I don't see much in the forecast. Hope you get them.
we got 4" of snow the day after i set up the bait and snares. it was good timing. i certainly trampled down the site setting all the snares and looking for good locations. it was a new location so i had to do a little exploring. probably had some scent on my boots but i was a careful as could be.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 PM

I got my largest coyote yet in a similar place. I just set out snares on the trails and as luck would have it I got him there.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Default coyotes

Different areas and terrain need different sets. Farm coyotes act diffret than bush coyotes.This works for me, away from the sets I cut some drags, trees same type as in setting area. cut them about 4ft long about 3 in. thick. Tie snare on at right height keeping mind depth of snow because drag will go to bottom of snow but coyote may travel a bit higher and have a support wire supporting snare all ready as if it was set. Add about a foot of tie wire near top of drag. I make up maybe 10 of these, all done away from setting area. I carry these in truck box or sled behind skidoo or pull it myself. When I see a place or trail I want to set, I circle around and approach from the side. I stand the drag so snare is over the trail, Tie top of drag to another tree or shrub, this is to prevent drag from falling or wind pushing it over. Make final adjustments to snare and back out with minimal disturbance or walking about. Only fencing I may do is plant a rose bush in snow beside snare to help direct coyote into snare, I would have brought the rose bush with me when I first came to set. Seams they dont like rose bush. I go in only once, dont stomp around, set the pre made drag with snare and support wire, make adjustments then back out with very little disturbance.
Once had 5 tied up within sight of each other, another time over the season, one set of 12 snares had 11 coyotes. Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM

I wouldn't be checking every day...I check every 3 to 5 days to reduce scent/human activity....found this year it's works a lot better to put snares out at the same time bait goes out.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM

thanks for the info guys!

i don't check every day and try to keep my presence at the site to a minimum.

here are some pics of what i got out. probably not the best sets, i know, but im still learning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2288.JPG (169.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2289.JPG (164.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2290.JPG (171.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2291.JPG (171.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info guys!

i don't check every day and try to keep my presence at the site to a minimum.

here are some pics of what i got out. probably not the best sets, i know, but im still learning!
One thing I see is the spring and trigger in plain sight ...I'm no professional but what I put on my snares is 2 sizes of poly tubing one for the support and one a bit bigger to stuff some grasses in to hide the spring/ trigger ..as for blocking I don't know that it's too much I see trails from yotes in my area go thru a lot tighter spots than that but u cud try a stick hiding the spring side and leave open on the other ..I guess it would depend on the time of day they are travelling also be it daylight or dark..good luck Jm
Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
One thing I see is the spring and trigger in plain sight
I see them too but they are up above the yotes line of sight, from its perspective, and do not bother me. They appear to be just another bit of bush junk hanging in the bushes. What bothers me more is the amount of fencing, unless it was there naturally when the snare was hung. Also forget the chin lifters, They work great for cats but not coyotes.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Jmparker- I've occasionally "closed" trails the coyotes were using if I didn't have a good place to snare them. I'll throw a tree top in the trail or even an x of heavier branches. Then I snare up their new route.

Some of those snare sets looked like they had plenty of guiding already existing. I usually break a small thin branch off the top of a tree that has a bit of a clump of even finer twigs on it if I need a guide stick.

It still surprises me sometimes how a coyote will walk into a painfully obvious snare.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:32 PM

The trails you should be setting at a bait site should be a foot wide and packed like a deer trail. I don't see that in your photos. Setting blind is fine but you need lotsa snares. Put out a bait. Coyotes hit it and make their own trails. Stay away. Freshen it up and at the same time set it up. 10 inches up and 11 around. Tie swivel end high for a clean kill. Sometimes they hit a bait then bugger off but they come back. Check from a distance. Sometimes it's just a couple yotes. You get one then it's done. Move on but check that old bait site for new sign once in awhile
If you get the male female right away then you might get the nice pups. If you get the pups first mom and dad will be tough. My own observations in farmland/cattle country. Sorry for long winded reply.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 AM

thanks for all the replies guys!! its great having more experienced folks to weigh in on things!

the areas the the snares are in were originally bare to start with. the ground was just soft enough that i could push a few sticks straight in to look like saplings. i usually just use dead tree tops like you said tfng. i didn't know how else to direct the coyotes to a snare when there was only 6 or 7 foot gaps between the trees. this isn't the best area for snaring, i know, but i felt like i had to try something.

i didn't do any pre baiting here so thats why the lack of trails. i just topped up the bait yesterday and will leave it for a while then come back and try to set up on the coyote trails.

what I'm thinking, based on everyones responses, is that if a particular stand of trees isn't thick enough it may not be worth trying to snare in it. better to find somewhere with sufficient natural funnels and pinch points. just my thoughts
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
thanks for all the replies guys!! its great having more experienced folks to weigh in on things!

the areas the the snares are in were originally bare to start with. the ground was just soft enough that i could push a few sticks straight in to look like saplings. i usually just use dead tree tops like you said tfng. i didn't know how else to direct the coyotes to a snare when there was only 6 or 7 foot gaps between the trees. this isn't the best area for snaring, i know, but i felt like i had to try something.

i didn't do any pre baiting here so thats why the lack of trails. i just topped up the bait yesterday and will leave it for a while then come back and try to set up on the coyote trails.

what I'm thinking, based on everyones responses, is that if a particular stand of trees isn't thick enough it may not be worth trying to snare in it. better to find somewhere with sufficient natural funnels and pinch points. just my thoughts
I would keep at JM try set some farther back away from the bait as well ..and try some not blocked in as much .. at least you have trees to snare off of ..down in H380's country he has NO trees only little scrub patches and does quite well at slaying the yotes
Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm headed out to a similar looking location and I'll try to remember to take some pictures. It's not ideal but it's all that I have to work with on a sheep farm. I won't be hanging snares today, that'll depend on where the tracks/trails are, but it'll be fun to see how it works out. The upside of snaring an area like that is that you can see all your snares at a distance and I wouldn't hesitate to do a daily drive by to see if I caught anything. These are farmland coyotes that are used to human activity and aren't bothered by a truck in the field.....they are used to it.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 PM

im certainly happy to have any woods at all to set in. i will keep an eye out for good trails once the coyotes get used to coming in and hang a few on those as well. lots of good ideas here!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Banned

Here's four pictures of locations that I'll be setting snares at. Pre-baited on Saturday. The only blocking and camouflage that I'll use will be tall grass. The coyotes ought to follow their trails and don't mind the grass too much.

Natural pathway.

Intersection of two trails.

Might put a tree top to the right of this trail where the grass is.

One snare between the trees at the front and another where the trails intersect farther back.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 PM

Just hang your snares dead center of the trails/tracks, no grass camouflage needed IMO.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
Just hang your snares dead center of the trails/tracks, no grass camouflage needed IMO.
Yup, thanks. I will be using very little grass to keep it natural. Maybe ten stalks of grass just to break the outline of the round snare but not enough to block his vision of the other side. I also like to bend a piece of grass over the top of the snare to help hide the stinger. I'll post pictures of my sets once I get them up.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, thanks. I will be using very little grass to keep it natural. Maybe ten stalks of grass just to break the outline of the round snare but not enough to block his vision of the other side. I also like to bend a piece of grass over the top of the snare to help hide the stinger. I'll post pictures of my sets once I get them up.

Heres the country Im in Dave .. we havent got 10 stalks of grass within 10 miles !!Well maybe not quite that bad , a few of the coulees have some cover but not much . Got a smart little dog at one location , if snares are set hi he goes under , if I use a chinup he refuses . Hes done this on a trail around my bait with 3 snares about 50 ft apart , under all 3 .May set a snare with a chinup about 10 ft from a higher one and then another high one the other side .. Give him a maze to work thru .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2322.jpg (42.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-10-2016, 02:08 PM

nice pics dave. i can sure see the benefit of pre baiting. i got such a late start this year i felt like i didn't have time to not hang snares right away. i hope you share a few pics of the snares in those locations dave! as well as the coyotes you will catch

i think we are all impressed with H380s work in those plains!