Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2021, 02:17 PM

Default Dry flies on still water

How do you fish dry flies on perfectly still water like on a pond? Do you just let the fly float with no movement/drag whatsoever, or do you twitch the rod, or slowly retreive the fly to give it some movement like a bug fluttering on the water? Conversely, on water with some wind and small riffles, do you just let the riffles carry the dry fly away naturally with no drag? I feel as though the fish are seeing my leader or some unnatural movement or something and getting spooked.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 06-15-2021, 02:44 PM

I use very light twitches.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Careful wading! and careful presentation

That usually works, but sometimes a big splash works too, with a hopper. cast it a bit high so that it drops and then twitch it as much as you want.
You will never stop learning.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:32 PM

I have always had trouble catching fish on dries on stillwater. They have to long to inspect the fly. I have had luck on hopper patterns late in the hopper season on really windy days, always add a little twitch to that. But.... my wife fishing real hoppers that I caught for her and only able to cast about 10 ft outfished me 22 to 6.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 PM

I like little twitches not enough to be splashy but more of almost a vibration but only if I am getting no interest. Depending on conditions just a still presentation can work well if you can predict which way rising fish are travelling.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-15-2021, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the tips! I saw on YouTube some guys use a degreaser on their tippet as well. Supposed to break the surface tension and elliminate any shine that might give it away.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 06-15-2021 at 07:11 PM.