Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Talking 421/25x helloooooo whisker bisquit!!!!

now sheephunter....this IS pot stirring....the sort of thing i like to email my drop away shooting buddies on a monday morning lol

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=511753&page=1

here is the thread starting paragraph

"Nate Heyerly a close friend of mine and shooting buddy for a little while now,just won the 2nd leg of the IBO TRIPLE CROWN shooting the whisker biscuit in the hunter class with a 421 final score and I can't remember the x count.Dave Shepard came in 3rd or 4th with a 419 another close friend of mine whose been whippin butt for a little bit now around the home ranges!Just goes to show you, ya don't need a drop away or a blade rest to achieve accuracy the biscuit proved itself this weekend that its a shooter!Congrats to both men you guys deserve it!"

go bisquit, not only the finest hunting rest ever made....it can win big stuff, no longer can people ask what tournament it ever won....lol, next up, anchor sight...shouldn't be too long until i stumble up somebody winning something bigger than local shoots with them, nothing finer than bisquit anchor sight set up for a hunting rig!....another email and possible troll here will definitely ensue
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Sounds like it works for indoor shooting, and possibly fair weather hunting. But a bad choice when hunting in typical alberta rut -20C, or frankly, anytime its below zero and snow/rain is falling = frozen whiskers and stuck arrows. Don't ask me why I got rid of the biscuit, forever...

QAD for me. My WT this year was shot in -25C and my moose yesterday was -15C and 50+ km/h winds. No issues with the QAD, try that with a biscuit, I dare you!!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

dont ask me about those sask boys from hunting canada and beyond on the drop away issue he had frozen up and couldn't take a big heavy dark horned whitetail because of something breaking on the draw and took a dinky one by comparison with a rifle at end of hunt....my nearest miss by far was when i used a drop away, can't believe that whitetail buck stayed around long enough to let down and try again......as much as you'll never convince me...i'll never convince you, little easier to flick the bisquit to free of ice than thaw a frozen drop away....higher odds of drop away failure period, regardless of conditions....its mechanical with strings...no brainer but hey, most guys never have much trouble with either, but one out sells all other rest types combined (from memory, but you get the point)

just saying.....421/25x
Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 AM

I take it those sask boys and you have not used the QAD ? I hunt the worst possible weather I can get; the more brutal the better, and never a failure with my 5 year old QAD. But I am sure I am jinxing myself now

Whisker biscuit!!?? You're funny...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Great! I'm going to run out and buy a Cobra release and an whisker biscuit right now and out it on my flat bow- OH!! waitaimint, never mind....
Cat
Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Great! I'm going to run out and buy a Cobra release and an whisker biscuit right now and out it on my flat bow- OH!! waitaimint, never mind....
Cat
lol, bet you can make the anchor sight work though, simple anchor checker and torque at the same time....couldn't hurt thats forsure....you end up using them peripherally anyhow and in crunch time you subconsious takes over and arrows fly true to thought
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Whisker biscuit!!?? You're funny...
421/25x, how can you possibly argue with that lol

sorry, just a joke, have a buddy that is diehard on equipment/cartridges you name it for hunting that had to be proven on some high level competative scene somehow, whereas i'm opposite, its the killingist hunters choices that are the ones to watch for hunting gear and set up etc.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
and never a failure with my 5 year old QAD. But I am sure I am jinxing myself now
only a matter of time
Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 AM

average rest, above average shooter...

Stink it works for you, and yes you finally have bragging rights about a tourny won with, but it still does not compare to the numbers won with Drops and Blades
Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

lol, hey, use what works right, competative scenes change very slowly, heck, most still use peeps too....what wonderful things those are for hunting....not

agree, just having some fun, its almost always 99% hunter and 1% tool, so as long as a guy gets good with whatever gear he chooses then what more can you ask, and the level of good is like drivers, some better than others...ie; some can whip a guy across town in a lada vs another in a ferrari....its soooo not about the tool

tool choices can certainly help for situations though, some are smarter than others for hunting or target work, no denying that, but end of day talent with said gear is king, some are talented due to time put in with gear, others have gifts and pick it up real quick and apply well in field situations
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 AM

hahahaha. can't argue with you... you'll just take me down to your level and beat me with experience hahaha.

What works best is always what the shooter has more confidence in, a tool is a tool is a tool, but its the user's mastery of it that makes it useful.

As long as you shoot it well and trust it.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

really make my day when a guy wins something like that with the bisquit AND an anchor sight at the same time.....oh the thought lol

i won't make him take off his stabilizer though as they do come in handy for shooting sessions....but that is one other thing you can rip off your bow when the season starts, won't affect you negatively one bit either but with it on could cause some grief in a blind or just about anytime as something sticking out usually does cause grief in the field sometimes all the time lol
Old 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM

yes, but Stinky, if you took your stablizer, what will you bludgen the deer with if you run out of arrows?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

i forgot
Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Gone Hunting

You tree stand hunters are all the same LOL. Wont be getting rid of my stabilizer any time soon, then I stalk sh*t open country. Only time you will find me on my azz sitting somewhere up high is to run optics. You ladies ever had to make ground before on your hands and knees while holding a bow up in front of yourself LOL. It dont work. I can hold my bow on hands and knees and make ground about as fast as you girlz speed walk. Stabilizer sized up so with bow tipped forward with riser top and stabilizer in the dirt the sights should clear the ground without issue of getting dinged or impacted. After that shes all about cutting down ground boys. truckin right along. Get rid of those stabilizers boys good call, how you killing your sh*t Stinky? LOL

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

have 3 archery kills this season so far, 64, 47, and 30, watched every single one drop, arrows are on a leash....they say stabs are good for over 40 yrds but waste of time under....i find them good for range sessions....steady up the pins when shooting more than once....have bunch of 50 plus yrd kills no stab from years past too, completely unnecessary for hunting, haven't killed one from a tree this year
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Next time you need to do some heavy handed sh*t in some nasty open stuff, make sure the stabilizer is on. If sized up right no sight issues besides grass, hold that bow by the handle, drive er into the dirt and giver. Trust me, your crippled without it and in a fast deal likely too tired to shoot when your on scene. Stabilizer is a tool too man!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

lol, make a good ice axe i bet too
Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Default I'm half with you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
have 3 archery kills this season so far, 64, 47, and 30, watched every single one drop, arrows are on a leash....they say stabs are good for over 40 yrds but waste of time under....i find them good for range sessions....steady up the pins when shooting more than once....have bunch of 50 plus yrd kills no stab from years past too, completely unnecessary for hunting, haven't killed one from a tree this year
Stink:

I respect your posts. You put in your time in the field and online researching stuff - that's apparent.

I must break this post down into section because it's two (maybe three) different points.

1. Anchor sight - I've been using this for the past 3 years and it is the best thing going. It's consistent ... PERIOD!. With peep sights, the slightest change in the way you hold your bow isn't detected before you release. At low light, the peep sight looks completely different than at high noon. Anchor sight totally focuses on eye / aim alignment (aka - consistent form) and is fantastic at low light (and consistent). Furthermore, if you set the anchor sight up properly (see side note below), you'll never have a problem in any type of weather or shooting condition. I've shot (or could have) shot animals at 3 - 40 meters this year in temperatures ranging from +10 to -18 Deg C at all times of dusk and dawn. My only beef with anchor sight is the fact that it can cloud up (just like a scope) on really really damp moist foggy days. I haven't had a chance to try anti-fog spray yet because it didn't rain all hunting season. (This has only happened once in the past 3 years with Anchor Sight)

SIDE NOTE on Anchor sight setup:
a. Take off all sights on your bow (expect pins)
b. Draw and shoot for weeks at 20 meters (or whatever you fancy) using only anchor points and pins (no peep or anything else for aim) until you have kill zone groups.
c. After your groups are decent, draw with your eyes closed and adjust your setup accordingly so it's natural and you "don't have to think about it or adjust anything". You should draw and anchor with your eyes closed. When you open your eyes, everything should look in alignment without having to move your wrist,release or head. Ideally, when you open your eyes, the pin should line up with your target and you should just have to squeeze the release)
d. Call a buddy over to help adjust the anchor sight.
e. Install the anchor sight and draw, anchor and hold. Have your buddy adjust the screws until the anchor sight lines up perfectly so that the red dot is right within the black circle and your pin is right on the aiming point and your anchor is comfortable and natural.
f. Repeat step e in various position (kneeling, twisted, etc) and with varying clothing (early season, mid season, winter, etc) to fine tune the best spot for the average of every season.
g. Get used to using both eyes (one for aiming, one for alignment check) before you release ... this takes time (as in months to get used to ... and is the number reason people don't like Anchor sight ... they don't give it time).

2. Whisker biscuit: I used it for 4 hunting season .. my first 4. I agree, they are reliable, sturdy, accurate and consistent. The ONLY reason I got rid of my whisker biscuit wasn't accuracy, it was noise!!! I lost 4 deer shooting opportunities because they heard me draw. It wasn't my clothes .. it was my arrow scratching allow the whiskers. I tried all the "hoopla" on the internet (Armour-all, waxing, etc) .. none of it made a difference. That is the sole reason I switched to a drop away (originally Alpine, now NAP). When I put some mole skin on my drop away rest ... the deer never suspect a thing. I've drawn and arrowed dozens of animals from 10 - 40 meters with none of them suspecting a thing. Which bring me to my final point (perhaps a third point). Those wishing to shoot deer at 35 meters+ could probably get away with a whisker biscuit, but if you plan to draw on an animal under 25 meters on a calm night .... you'll want complete silence (clothing and bow). Trust me!

3 (sort of my third point, but not really inline with the intent of this thread but felt it had to be said)
Bowhunting is about getting up close and personal. I personally don't condone shots over 50 meters with compounds because I believe too much can happen in that time with living targets. Obviously things can work out for the hunter, but I believe it's just a matter of time before shots of this distance cause a "night without sleep" on a wounded animal. Even with Whitetail deer ... they are 'jumpy' at 25 meters. I prefer to get close (10 - 25 meters) and let the arrow fly. In that close, you have to be stealthy and the whisker biscuit doesn't cut it!

IMO!

Last edited by BigRackLover; 11-26-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM

^^^^^

Four points actually.

4. I don't use (or never have tried) a stabilizer. I've never won (or tried seriously to win) a 3D shoot. I hunt. So I don't see the point in adding weight to my bow. I shoot fine out to the distances I want (45 meters). Stabs aren't necessary for hunting IMO - I'm living proof.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
^^^^^

Four points actually.

agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed.

anchor sight rocks, whisker biscuits suck, and stabilizers are dead weight i dont wanna carry. though i did get used to my anchor sight pretty quick to be honest.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed.

anchor sight rocks, whisker biscuits suck, and stabilizers are dead weight i dont wanna carry. though i did get used to my anchor sight pretty quick to be honest.
X2....or is it X3?

At least we can all agree for a change

Anchor sight is the best thing since sliced bread.....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=anchor+sight

LC
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 AM

Living under a rock (or more like up a tree) I must be. What is this anchor sight you all speak of (rhetorical; thanks for the link) ? I like the idea of no peep and consistent anchor, and will try one after this season. Old dog though...
Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

just don't seem to have issue with whisker bisquit noise, i'll draw when i want them to stop and sometimes they hear my body/clothes (possibly some draw noise too?) and i still have to 'bleh' quite a few to stop, even right under me...always shot carbon express top line arrows, never noticed that much noise with them so don't personally know of that problem, sometimes my movement noise is the perfect stopper, sometimes not, never too much to send em fleeing though, whatever works for you works for you

and yup on anchor sight, i had mine fog but i could still see the dot (blurred) enough to make it center and shoot, take it over peep 99 times out of 100, maybe more
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM

I too must live under a rock.
I had never heard of the anchor site... until just now, lots of info. and informative!

The wisker biscut is fine. I've used the same one since I got into archery, 6 years hunting between 2 bows. Never had any of the issues mentioned above. However I think if I wanted to stretch out past 60, I wouldn't even attempt it with a well used one. Accuracy def. falls off at longer ranges (with my old one - i use it for luck I guess...)

I really do think that anchor site would fill with water, and likely fog as mentioned when hunting elk or moose in the early hours of the morning. My peep fills with water, my pins bend, my sight gets filled with leaves, grass and water - why add more parts to go wrong? I have however thought about going with a jumbo peep - never have been real happy with mine.

The stabilizer is not dead weight. I don't shoot 3D, I shoot off my deck for practice, or stand up, or sit down, or crouch and raise over a ditch lip, or sit in a temp. stand; all at my house. I too hunt, have never shot on a range to speak of, other than a few days a winter. And it helps me, especially in the wind. I would tend to take the quiver off the bow before I would consider getting rid of the stabilizer.

Interesting how archers have so many differing opions...
Archery is very similar to golf, a game of many gimmicks; pick your poison.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 PM

The anchor site is a closed system. There is no way for it to fill with water...its kind of like a scope but different, if you can picture that then you know scopes don't fill, but they can fog.

LC
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM

I'm a detachable quiver guy ... love it (especially on windy days).

The anchor sight (http://www.archeryinnovations.com/ doesn't for up on early mornings .. it takes many hours of fog and wet conditions to fog it up ... like 3 to 4 hours.

I've killed animals with a whisker biscuit ... but I'll never use one again.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

excellent points, the stab (true stab, weighted out front) and no quiver might be beneficial in the wind, i would personally struggle with the idea of the arrows being able to be somewhere they shouldn't be so will live with it, i will experiment with the stab in the wind more to see how much difference it makes, the b-stinger i have is nice for range sessions though, i have a 8.5 with 11 oz weight i took a hole saw too and probably nocked it down to around 7 oz which seems nice compliment to the heaviesh mathews bows i shoot....was way too heavy at 11 oz and really upset the balance for me, but i can handle it the way it is now

no question we all find what works for us, every now and then pursuaded to try new things, some stay some don't, i shot well with large peep too but i always hated shooting through a peep, always

how bout pin set up, i usually shoot 7-8 pins, i've come round to liking all pins green except my 50 yrd which is red, seems the simplest fastest way to keep it all organized for hunting situations and counting from beginning or starting at the 50 and working back a pin or forward a pin or two

another thing i'm liking is for the first four pins 20-50 at 0.029" size and the 60 yrd and beyond i get them at 0.010" size...axcel armortech is what i shoot but i'd have no issue with a spot hog wrapped 7 either and would order exactly as i've ordered my axcel's

just giving out ideas that may help my brother bowhunters....good feedback and info in this thread coming from experience no doubt
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
excellent points, the stab (true stab, weighted out front) and no quiver might be beneficial in the wind, i would personally struggle with the idea of the arrows being able to be somewhere they shouldn't be so will live with it, i will experiment with the stab in the wind more to see how much difference it makes, the b-stinger i have is nice for range sessions though, i have a 8.5 with 11 oz weight i took a hole saw too and probably nocked it down to around 7 oz which seems nice compliment to the heaviesh mathews bows i shoot....was way too heavy at 11 oz and really upset the balance for me, but i can handle it the way it is now

no question we all find what works for us, every now and then pursuaded to try new things, some stay some don't, i shot well with large peep too but i always hated shooting through a peep, always

how bout pin set up, i usually shoot 7-8 pins, i've come round to liking all pins green except my 50 yrd which is red, seems the simplest fastest way to keep it all organized for hunting situations and counting from beginning or starting at the 50 and working back a pin or forward a pin or two

another thing i'm liking is for the first four pins 20-50 at 0.029" size and the 60 yrd and beyond i get them at 0.010" size...axcel armortech is what i shoot but i'd have no issue with a spot hog wrapped 7 either and would order exactly as i've ordered my axcel's

just giving out ideas that may help my brother bowhunters....good feedback and info in this thread coming from experience no doubt
I only use 3 pins. 25,35 and 45 meters. 35 is red, the rest green. I just aim high or low depending on the distance. I find this setup keeps me in check and I don't take shots I shouldn't be. It basically gives me a 0-50 yard range .... which is excellent for bowhunting. I prefer to aim high/low rather than have a pin for each distance.

I've always wanted smaller pins for the longer shots (better aiming). I may try that smaller diamter pin on my 45 meter. It's very rate that I'll take a shot of that distance in the last 10 minutes of light.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 PM

use 4 pins vertically stacked, 1 of them had the fibre optic break off, so I cranked it down and out of the way.
1. 20/30yard - within a 1/2 inch of elevation in reality
2. 40 yard
3. 50 yard
4. 60 yard
5 - broken (really my #1 (highest pin) tucked down behind #2)

I really do need to get a new sight, but if I do; I will go with a 3 pin that shoots to 40 on one pin (likely need a new bow for this also...)

I really see no use to go out past 60. Shot my buck at 56 this year and he actually took a nice calm step quatering toward, just as I released. This made my otherwise perfect shot less than desirable; from perfect broadside to quartering toward in less thatn 1/2 a second. (i got lucky - in not so many words). This gained me the experience to know that a CALM deer can move before the arrow gets there.

I can however see the vast array of benefits of being able to shoot to 40 on one pin, and will not listen to people argue against this. haha Each to their own! I certainly like the idea of pulling 10 more pounds (although I really like 60#) and shooting an arrow in the neighborhood of 100 grains heavier all the way to 40 on one pin.

Last edited by curtisb; 11-28-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: type o