Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Default Hunting with dogs?.

I was curious if there has been any information on the proposal of having your dog to accompany you on your hunts?. Sure would add a little help and comfort at night on top of those mountain's.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Great for bears,. Dog sees bear, Dog runs at bear, barking, Bear turns on dog, dog runs to master for help. At least you know what that niose in the dark coming after you was.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick1 View Post
I was curious if there has been any information on the proposal of having your dog to accompany you on your hunts?. Sure would add a little help and comfort at night on top of those mountain's.
Sheephunter is probably the best person to update us. Personally, I'm all for it!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Great for bears,. Dog sees bear, Dog runs at bear, barking, Bear turns on dog, dog runs to master for help. At least you know what that niose in the dark coming after you was.
Have you seen this happen a lot?

I never have even after many years of days in the field with dogs and bears. I owned a beagle that treed probably a couple dozen bears. Not one came after him.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM

I take my mutt on hunts all the time.

grouse, huns, ducks, geese....

"Add a little help and comfort at night"? WHAT THE HECK DO YOU DO WITH YOUR DOG??????????????

Personally I think it would have to be a pretty highly trained dog to stay within the bounds of the wildlife act (not harass game, etc.) and be of much significant help on a big game hunt. I know I'd rather not have mine there.

And of course you CAN have your dog with you in camp when you are hunting for that "help and comfort".
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

I never have even after many years of days in the field with dogs and bears. I owned a beagle that treed probably a couple dozen bears. Not one came after him.
Only ever had it happen with cow elk. Good friend was almost run over by a cow Roosevelt on the coast. She didn't like my buddy's Weimeraner. He made a superman off the trail just in time. Found his dog 1/2 hour later back at his truck.

Oh, IBTL
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I've had a dog chased by a doe as well on more than one occasion.just bever seen it with bears.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

We used dogs lots in B.C. for packing and hunting. They have to be under control and on a lead, you can't let them chase big game other than cougar/bear. I shot tonnes of stuff with my dog beside me-goat, griz, sheep, moose, black bears, lots of coyotes. You can get a few extra days food on a dog and a good dog is nice to have around camp.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM

I've trained mine to put the coffee on 15 minutes before he wakes me. (I have to get the pot ready the night before...he's not "superdog")
More importantly he's along on trips because he can drive a standard, as I like to have a few beers when field dressing a deer.
As well, he does a lot of texting for me when I am driving, and tunes my satellite radio.
Now if only I can train him to retrieve birds!
Other than that, pretty good dog...shouldn't have got him fixed.
hh
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I've trained mine to put the coffee on 15 minutes before he wakes me. (I have to get the pot ready the night before...he's not "superdog")
More importantly he's along on trips because he can drive a standard, as I like to have a few beers when field dressing a deer.
As well, he does a lot of texting for me when I am driving, and tunes my satellite radio.
hh

That's OK, you shouldn't be having him do everything for you.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM

Ha!

back on track...nothing better than hunting with a dog. I don't have one right now, but we had dad's old lab "bear" in camp this year, and he was good company.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM
sheephunter

From the reponse I saw that they gave in the AGMAG meeting minutes...it looks like they are just going to brush it off without even considering it....I was hopeful that they'd look at all the evidence I sent them but it looks as though, as I suspected, their minds were made up in advance. This government appears only to be interested in taking opportunity away...not creating it. Possibly the new Minister will be a bit more open minded but I doubt it. It's interesting how all other dog owners are responsible enough to have their dogs along in the mountains but big game hunters aren't. Says alot about the way we are viewed by SRD. Basically they are saying that it's legal to take your dog to camp but not be accompanied while hunting...Sorry but I'm not leaving my dog in a high mountain camp as wolf bait.....really shows how much of a clue they have.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM

This sux.....I was under the impression that they were/did change this for you guys with the pack dog thing.

Man I sleep solidly in the mts after a long day of poundin' ground.....it sure is nice to have my buddy sleeping outside the tent to wake me up as opposed to something else doing it.

tm
Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM

That sucks to hear that they are just brushing the proposal aside, I was under the impression from the letter I received from them last fall that it was going to be seriously considered for 2012. The new minister (and the people at SRD) must not have the time to reply to any of my new round of letters.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Sheep, was it a response from SRD at the meeting, or from the AGMAG?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Sorry but I'm not leaving my dog in a high mountain camp as wolf bait.....really shows how much of a clue they have.
I am very surprised by the narrow minded comment by one of our outdoorsman mentors .Sorry sheep ,but i thought you knew better than what your are proposing.
You know not everyone has a legitimat reason for taking thier dogs on a hunt with them ,Hence the law for one and for all.

This being said ,I would only say , Then leave the dog at home and not in camp
!
Also i have seen and heard of others having thier dogs shot while letting them run at large .
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Sheep, was it a response from SRD at the meeting, or from the AGMAG?
Someone passed the minutes of the meeting along to me which included a response from Enforcement.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Bluetick,

I can agree with the not leaving them in camp as bait and would leave the dog at home....but I'd rather have her with me.

I think that you're missing the point that every person out there can have their dog with them.....just not hunters.

I wouldn't dream of camping without my dog....she'd kill me. Why would it be different just because I'm hunting?

I grab my rifles and she knows what's going on......it's one of the best things about hunting. She IS my hunting buddy.

tm
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
Sorry but I'm not leaving my dog in a high mountain camp as wolf bait.....really shows how much of a clue they have.
I am very surprised by the narrow minded comment by one of our outdoorsman mentors .Sorry sheep ,but i thought you knew better than what your are proposing.
You know not everyone has a ligitimate reason for taking thier dogs on a hunt with them ,Hence the law for one and for all.

This being said ,I would only say , Then leave the dog at home and not in camp
!
It's legal in every other mountain province, state and territory in North America. I'd say I'm pretty open minded and it's the province of Alberta that's narrow minded. I regularly pack my dog in other jurisdictions. Not sure why it would be different here. No one is asking for a free for all.....just a regulated use of pack dogs by big game hunters...just like the rest of North America. I don't think Alberta hunters are any more irresponsible than those in other parts of North America but it appears that SRD does.

No doubt people are going to have different opinions on this one and I can respect that.....*hint...hint*

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-13-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Hmmm, what national park banned dogs from accompanying hikers last summer because of just this? Certain I saw it on the news.

I think the problem was grizzlies and more "poofy" dogs.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Sheep
I take your hint on everyone having an opinion,but what you are saying is, because Alberta is a mountain province ,we should be allowed to have dogs on a hunt while every other province in the country of canada does not allow the use of a dog while hunting big game except ontario unless that has changed too ?.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
hh
How long have you had your Chessie?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Sheep
I take your hint on everyone having an opinion,but what you are saying is, because Alberta is a mountain province ,we should be allowed to have dogs on a hunt while every other province in the country of canada does not allow the use of a dog while hunting big game except ontario unless that has changed too ?.
Dogs are used FOR hunting deer in ON, but they are allowed to accompany you in almost every other jurisdiction.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Gone Hunting

We need a gun registry.

Makes sense to me that an unarmed person is free to go wherever with their dog, but a hunter is not.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM

Dogs are used FOR hunting deer in ON, but they are allowed to accompany you in almost every other jurisdiction.
I would look up the eastern provinces if I were you ,and i would like to add its legal to shoot dogs at large or harrassing wildlife in most privinces as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I take my mutt on hunts all the time.

grouse, huns, ducks, geese....

"Add a little help and comfort at night"? WHAT THE HECK DO YOU DO WITH YOUR DOG??????????????

Personally I think it would have to be a pretty highly trained dog to stay within the bounds of the wildlife act (not harass game, etc.) and be of much significant help on a big game hunt. I know I'd rather not have mine there.

And of course you CAN have your dog with you in camp when you are hunting for that "help and comfort".
Not sure of your accusation's here Oko- I hope to have them carry a few extra pounds of food for me for help, and to add comfort to let me know if there may be a G- bear around when I'm on top of some mountain.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Not a grizz expert here boys but im sure there are a few here ! I woukd ask someone to tell me how many grizz roam around the mountain tops? I was under the impression they preferred the valleys and river bottoms with the odd mountain side meadows for roaming !
And if your that worried about bears stay home with your dog on the couch!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Would be nice to allow the use of dogs for tracking shot (and difficult to recover) game. But I suppose SRD looks at things like this as a gateway to dogs hunting/harassing big game?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 PM

I hunted in Mississippi years ago and we used Walkers to hunt deer. It worked good, they can really push the bush, just be ready for a shot at full speed.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Not a grizz expert here boys but im sure there are a few here ! I woukd ask someone to tell me how many grizz roam around the mountain tops? I was under the impression they preferred the valleys and river bottoms with the odd mountain side meadows for roaming !
And if your that worried about bears stay home with your dog on the couch!
Do you spike camp on the mountain top where its windy and wide open or down in the valley close to water? Its not about whether the dog will help its being aloud to take him as a companion if you choose which I fully agree with. Id personally leave mine at home but if I had a better behaved dog it might be different.