Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 09:19 PM

Smile 22 lr for first time shooter

Good evening AO members, first off hope everyone is taking in & enjoying the good weather we have been having so far for the long weekend!

Currently looking for a rifle, thinking in 22lr for my son to start shooting this yr. He turned 6 this past december & has accompanied me on pretty much every hunting/camping trip since he was 6 months old, he has loved every minute of it as much as I have from what I have taken in from it.

Wanting to get him his first rifle to start shooting on paper this yr, thinking a scoped 22lr in a bolt action might be the way to go in a wood stock, want it to be something he can hang onto for yrs to come.

Open to all suggestions and even different calibers, thank you in advance
Old 05-21-2022, 09:32 PM

How about a Rascal? Single shot with a peep sight.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:33 PM

At a young age even a brake action pellet gun would be a blast.
I shot a pellet gun so much that my parents would make me rake the lawn by the targets to pick up pellets after winter.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:53 PM

Savage Mark II
Old 05-21-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
At a young age even a brake action pellet gun would be a blast.
I shot a pellet gun so much that my parents would make me rake the lawn by the targets to pick up pellets after winter.
A brake style pellet gun is a blast & is the first rifle I started with actually, took care of many of the neighbors gophers with it in those days! Great idea & thank you, just might consider that for him
Old 05-21-2022, 10:05 PM

Default Young shooter

This is only my opinion. 6 years of age is much to young to handle a tool that is capable of killing someone. A pellet gun for a few years until the shooter proves
themselves of having the sense to be safe. I know many will say I had a gun or I did not shoot anyone, but accidents happen even with adults.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:07 PM

just a fyi:
a break action is a type of pellet gun you are discussing
a disc brake is a type of brake, such as on a car.

btw, I'd recommend the rascal over a pellet gun.
However, there's nothing wrong with a pellet gun if you want to get him started in the garage or something.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
This is only my opinion. 6 years of age is much to young to handle a tool that is capable of killing someone. A pellet gun for a few years until the shooter proves
themselves of having the sense to be safe. I know many will say I had a gun or I did not shoot anyone, but accidents happen even with adults.
Every kid is different, IIRC I was shooting when I was 6 and competing by the time I was 8.
Cat
Old 05-21-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Every kid is different, IIRC I was shooting when I was 6 and competing by the time I was 8.
Cat
I agree with cat. If your turning them loose on their own then absolutely not! Under proper supervision it’s a good age to start teaching about firearm safety ranger safety proper handling etc…
Old 05-21-2022, 10:55 PM

I recommend a single shot. I have been taking my 6 and 8 year old grandsons to the range. I have two Cooey 39 rifles for them to use, one is cut to 12” lop.

I control the ammunition by dispensing one round at a time. The 6 yo is a maniac and would be dangerous if given a repeater.

A Savage Rascal is definitely an easier rifle to use- it has a short lop, no awkward cocking of the bolt, and much better trigger.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:53 PM

Thank you Cat & Ford Truckin, safety is foremost & paramount each & every time in the field or at the bench!

I'm thinking from the greatly appreciated responses a pellet gun will be the way to start the little man to start out but would like to in the near future get him something along those lines if he continues to show the respect & responsibility that he has so far.....Can't wait to reward him!
Old 05-22-2022, 04:07 AM

I started with a pellet gun and my interest in them has never waned. I still enjoy them and recently picked up a Diana model 34 that I am so excited about. I taught my son to shoot with one. I bought him a Beeman 177 cal.
This one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...-0755025p.html
It is accurate and easy to break open and shoots at under 500ft/sec. Not the highest quality but a great learner. If you are interested I would pass this pellet gun onto to your son free of charge. I also have a good supply of pellets I would include. I was going to donate it to someone and after reading your thread I just wanted to put the offer out there. It would make me feel good to put a smile on your boy. I am currently staying in Edmonton for a while and can arrange to have it brought here. Please let me know if you are interested. My wife is with me and heads out your way to visit a friend and she may be able to bring it your way.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-22-2022, 05:15 AM

TD, you are a class act. After reading your “other” post and now this one I can only wish you the best for your road ahead.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
just a fyi:
a break action is a type of pellet gun you are discussing
a disc brake is a type of brake, such as on a car.

btw, I'd recommend the rascal over a pellet gun.
However, there's nothing wrong with a pellet gun if you want to get him started in the garage or something.
Your right I did use the wrong break their.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:15 AM

The CZ Scout is a very nice youth 22. Comes with a 1 shot magazine but any 5 or 10 shot CZ mag will work as the action is the exact same as the full size 22's.
Little more pricey than the others but the quality is there to justify it. We have a couple in the 452 line up but they do manufacture them in both series after.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
How about a Rascal? Single shot with a peep sight.
Can put a scope on it if need be, had our rascal for years now. Boys outgrew it years ago so I use it for trapping more often than not, awesome little gun.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
A brake style pellet gun is a blast & is the first rifle I started with actually, took care of many of the neighbors gophers with it in those days! Great idea & thank you, just might consider that for him

This would be my route first, then after a few years of him knowing how to safely use the pellet rifle upgrade to a bolt action 22 but I would stay away from a auto loader just don’t need a live round fed in after every shot.

Good luck sounds like you will have some good times ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 AM

Get him a pellet gun, bbgun, tiny 22lr.....teach him everything about each one, teach him every safety rule and be very firm with it. Expose your kids to guns as much as possible, teach them proper handling safety, and allow them to grow in thier use as they prove thier maturity and trustworthiness. My kids "cut thier teeth on a gun barel" so to speak and have been taught since young ages...they are given every opportunity to shoot totally supervised whenever they want ( often by age 3-4) and they can handle my guns supervised whenever they ask. I have a tc hot shot but any of the tiny 22s are a great choice for a young shooter. Have fun and give them realistic target options ( reactive are really fun for kids) Make firearm safety the very first and highest priority...make no exceptions.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:38 AM

Taught my boys gun safety and how to shoot with a Henry mini bolt youth.
The youngest had trouble with the open sights so I mounted a scope for him.
It is a great little shooter, and in my opinion, very safe to use for young shooters - under supervision until proven safe and competent!
Taken grouse and it's fair share of gophers.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:21 PM

You can buy great old Husqvarna, Valmet, Anschutz single shot rifles from places like TradeX and other sellers, for real good prices. They are great old 22s made with quality metal and decent walnut stocks. They are inexpensive enough you can buy two so you can have a short stock version and a regualr length for when he gets older.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I started with a pellet gun and my interest in them has never waned. I still enjoy them and recently picked up a Diana model 34 that I am so excited about. I taught my son to shoot with one. I bought him a Beeman 177 cal.
This one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...-0755025p.html
It is accurate and easy to break open and shoots at under 500ft/sec. Not the highest quality but a great learner. If you are interested I would pass this pellet gun onto to your son free of charge. I also have a good supply of pellets I would include. I was going to donate it to someone and after reading your thread I just wanted to put the offer out there. It would make me feel good to put a smile on your boy. I am currently staying in Edmonton for a while and can arrange to have it brought here. Please let me know if you are interested. My wife is with me and heads out your way to visit a friend and she may be able to bring it your way.
I believe my son would be very grateful and happy on such a kind, generous offer! Thank you for that Teledogs!
After reading some of the replies I'm thinking a pellet gun of this style is the way to start for him and a God way to get comfortable/ be able to show and demonstrate taught safe handling skills.
We are more than willing to travel so you can meet the young man you're offering the pellet gun to and for him to be able to say thank you to such a kid offer
Old 05-22-2022, 03:44 PM

Oh that makes me so happy! My son will bring it to Edmonton this week. I am currently at the UofA hospital and I may be into treatments so as much as I want to meet you and your son I am not sure I will be able to. My wife may just have to deliver it. I would however love to see some pictures or a short video of him devoping his shooting skills. I will keep you updated and I will pm you my phone number! I think I am more excited over this than your boy will be...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-22-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Oh that makes me so happy! My son will bring it to Edmonton this week. I am currently at the UofA hospital and I may be into treatments so as much as I want to meet you and your son I am not sure I will be able to. My wife may just have to deliver it. I would however love to see some pictures or a short video of him devoping his shooting skills. I will keep you updated and I will pm you my phone number! I think I am more excited over this than your boy will be...
Well you absolutely made his day sir and thanks again. Will definitely send you pics and a vid of him shooting the pellet gun.
My family is praying for you and wishing you all the best in any of your upcoming treatment at the UofA .
Old 05-22-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
I believe my son would be very grateful and happy on such a kind, generous offer! Thank you for that Teledogs!
After reading some of the replies I'm thinking a pellet gun of this style is the way to start for him and a God way to get comfortable/ be able to show and demonstrate taught safe handling skills.
We are more than willing to travel so you can meet the young man you're offering the pellet gun to and for him to be able to say thank you to such a kid offer
I have a set of rings that I Bought from Teledogs that fit this rig.
They ended up not working fit wise, so I will happily donate these to you.
Shot me a PM with your address and I will get them of to you next week.
Cheers
WDF
Old 05-22-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Cheers
WDF
Sorry to hear the rings did not work out for you. Those rings came off a Diana model 34 and not this rifle. This pellet gun has rings and a scope included.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Cheers
WDF
Thank you kindly for the offer WDF, from what teledogs posted it doesn't sound like he'll be needing any.
Very much appreciated!
Old 05-22-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You can buy great old Husqvarna, Valmet, Anschutz single shot rifles from places like TradeX and other sellers, for real good prices. They are great old 22s made with quality metal and decent walnut stocks. They are inexpensive enough you can buy two so you can have a short stock version and a regualr length for when he gets older.
Great suggestion Dean2, I will certainly explore this option for when the timing seems right.

I would also like to thank all that replied on this thread as there has been many great points, suggestions and advice given! I do appreciate ALL of it!