Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2022, 02:12 PM

Default Nordegg area.

Hi hopefully the summers is going well for everyone even with these high gas prices. The wife and I are renting a camper at a campground just outside of Nordegg for 4 nights August long weekend. I fished Shunda creek quite a few years ago and caught lots of little browns, I'm pretty sure it was alot earlier in the year. How is the bite that late in the season? Any other spots to try? The wife just wants to sit by the campfire and veg for the whole trip, I can see myself going crazy if I did that. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:03 AM

lots of places around Nordegg to explore. 4 days is not nearly enough time to hit up all the great fishing in that area.
if you want to stream fish only, Blackstone and Brown north of Nordegg are fantastic rivers. South is the N Ram but can be crowded on a long weekend. S Ram and its tribs are a little farther but also a good choice. west is the Cline river and Bigstone river plus numerous other streams that feed into the N Sask and Abraham lake.
as for lakes, lots of those around there. Shunda, Goldeye, the borrow pits just north of Nordegg and Harlech Pond east of Nordegg are some good shore fishing lakes.
like i said lots of water in the area and 4 days is not enough time. get the Alberta fishing guide to give you more insight into all the rivers in that area or even Barry Mitchells Trout Hiway if you can find a copy is an excellent read for that area.
you will not be disapponted
Mike
Old 07-15-2022, 10:31 AM

I was up there the week before last and the water was still high. It looks like the runoff is a week to two weeks behind last year. I would think the water should be about perfect now. I agree with everything above from mikeym.