Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Bathtubs

Wife slipped getting out of bathtub. She is okay but, her elbow hit the tile quite hard and it gave away due to the hidden moisture behind it. We currently have a steel/enamel, original tub from 1959 that has already been refinished once about 5 years ago. It's done as it doesn't come clean anymore. I have someone experienced coming in to town to assist in the demolition and re-build. I realize there may be mold and such and will take the required precautions when starting the demo. I don't have much knowledge regarding the acrylic tubs or the plethora of different types of finishes or the materials they are made from. I was looking at the "Less expensive" (I'm not too flush with $$) steel/enamel tubs and am a bit guarded as I know they wouldn't be as bulletproof as they were so many years ago. I would like a decent tub without breaking the bank; say $350. So many choices and very few trusted, customer ratings from what I can see.
I realize that once I start with the demo, there may be other issues lurking behind or underneath what is there.
Bathfitter is OUT OF THE QUESTION as I don't have $5K+ for a drop in and require new wallboard anyway. What is the best alternative? Hardie board or some other? Maxx bathtubs or others?
Thanks in advance for all helpful replies.
Cheers.....Rick AKA-FHD
Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM

Tubs like a bunch of other things you typically get what you pay for in my opinion...

We put acrylics in house we built 14 years ago would go any other way. Bain Ultra one of the best... our is an air jet tub but pretty certain they have just tubs.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:31 PM

Altrek tubs are made in Alberta.
I use them whenever I can.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 PM

One more thing to add, changing your bathtub is a pretty involved renovation, and ideally you don't ever want to do it again.
After you pay for all the labour for the drywall, flooring, tile, paint, etc. the price of the tub itself isn't really going to be the thing that makes the project expensive. Don't cheap out on it.
And, since I'm typing anyway, another thing to consider at this point is your mobility in the coming years.
I have no idea how old you are, but if you are closer to retirement age than bathing babies age, maybe look at putting a shower in instead of a tub. It will be easier to get in and out of when you do become a dusty old man. (No offence to dusty old men. I hope to be one someday)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 PM

Sounds like an opportunity to tile in a shower/bath. Best value is you doing it. Tub, boarding, tile. Do it for under 1k.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Sounds like an opportunity to tile in a shower/bath. Best value is you doing it. Tub, boarding, tile. Do it for under 1k.

Really ???

Grizz
Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 PM

X2 on Altrek, made in Okotoks so your $$ stays in the local economy. I am a fan of the Hardie cement tile backer board, its impervious as heck.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
X2 on Altrek, made in Okotoks so your $$ stays in the local economy. I am a fan of the Hardie cement tile backer board, its impervious as heck.
Way better than the alternatives, even if it costs a few bucks more.

Grizz
Old 06-09-2020, 01:54 PM

I'm not sure where you're located, but if in the Edmonton area or know someone who passes through with a truck drop me a PM. We just bought a house and are having renos done prior to moving the furniture in. The old owners had just done an ensuite remodel, but didn't utilize the space like we'd want so we're redoing it. Will have a literally like-new 60" freestanding MAXX tub for sale if that's something that would interest you. $300 to a fellow AO member, $400 if I have to go the Kijiji route which I detest, lol. Demo is currently in progress, hadn't thought much about selling it until I saw your post.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm in the renovation business, I would sure like to know how you would do this for under $1000.00.

Demolition
Plumbing
Plumbing fixtures (drain, valve, shower head, mixing valve, trim, hand held)
Possible framing
Possible sub floor
Possible flooring due to new tub not matching existing tile lines
Moisture resistant drywall
Possible painting
Taping, Sanding
Water proofing (Kerdi)
Tile

Not going to happen for $1000.00 even if I was working for for a buddy and free beer!
Old 06-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
I'm not sure where you're located, but if in the Edmonton area or know someone who passes through with a truck drop me a PM. We just bought a house and are having renos done prior to moving the furniture in. The old owners had just done an ensuite remodel, but didn't utilize the space like we'd want so we're redoing it. Will have a literally like-new 60" freestanding MAXX tub for sale if that's something that would interest you. $300 to a fellow AO member, $400 if I have to go the Kijiji route which I detest, lol. Demo is currently in progress, hadn't thought much about selling it until I saw your post.
So very kind of you to offer Sir!
I was able to secure one in town for a decent price.
Good luck doing your reno.
Thanks again for the offer.
Rick
Old 06-10-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
If you are talking about hardy backer, thin set, a few replacement plumbing parts and some cheap tile and cheap tub, maybe $1000 might cover materials.

Had a guy re-do mine a few years ago (and I bought the materials and I'm sure I spend significantly more that that just for materials ) and this was just a basement spare bathroom so I went middle quality on tub and tile.

I think I paid him $600 for 2 days work (only a small amount of framing to fir up the new tub/shower enclosure) and had a plumber change out the mixer and re-install a few lines - another $300 for labor and another $200-250 or so for the fixture.

So $2000 is more realistic if you just do this and find no problems after ripping stuff out ........... this "cheap job" could have been a $4000 job with just a little bad luck (a little mold or rot) and the can of worms opens up.