Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Grizzly Bears

Question: Why do we not have a limited draw season on Grizzly Bears?
Fact: Four (yes 4) Grizzly bears are in traps at Canmore today to hear it for your self call 403 678 2373 (fish and wildlife)

Meetings are now going on to determine where to move the bears. Yes it is a sow with one older cub and two young ones! The public should know the truth about the grizzly bears in Kananaskis country. Reports are the sow is moving out because the population is to high. Last year even a sow killed another sows cub because they are on top of each other. It would be nice to get a report on the numbers in the area and also where in Alberta are we short of bears ?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

According to the paper last year, Castle area grizzlies are severely down... barely any Griz left there..

Would be interesting to get a rough number of how many bears are sighted/collared/etc in K country.. I have a feeling it would be a fairly high number..
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
sheephunter

K-Country has always had a high bear population...even the grizzly bear recovery team found that. There's no reason at all we couldn't have a few select seasons around the province other than spineless politicians.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM

If they are short in the Castle there are four ready to go. Who knows somebody in the SRD who could recommend that.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM

We aren't the only ones with bear problems from a so called Endangered Species .. Check out the article about Grizz in Montana in the Great Falls Tribune .. Bear probnlems inthat state are double what they were last year and it is only June ! Population est. in Montana came in at 960 bears .
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Why is everyone in such a hurry to hunt Grizzly? I'm sure in a couple more years we will see a grizzly hunt in Alberta.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Why is everyone in such a hurry to hunt Grizzly? I'm sure in a couple more years we will see a grizzly hunt in Alberta.
Don't hold your breath. There isn't a politician in the Red Queens party with enough of a spine to open it back up.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
We aren't the only ones with bear problems from a so called Endangered Species .. Check out the article about Grizz in Montana in the Great Falls Tribune .. Bear probnlems inthat state are double what they were last year and it is only June ! Population est. in Montana came in at 960 bears .
Wyoming is looking at de-listing them also. At this rate I'll be able to hunt them there before I ever get an opportunity in my home Province.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm sure with the increase in grizzly sightings and runs ins with them, at one point or another they will have no choice but to open it back up. Unfortunately it may not be until some unfortunate backpacker(s) or hunters are hurt or even worse by an unsuspecting grizzly. They can only let the population grow so much.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I'm sure with the increase in grizzly sightings and runs ins with them, at one point or another they will have no choice but to open it back up. Unfortunately it may not be until some unfortunate backpacker(s) or hunters are hurt or even worse by an unsuspecting grizzly. They can only let the population grow so much.
Unfortunately that ain't the case. Look at the wolves south of the border, the enviro-nazi's are fighting tooth and nail to keep the pop's growing when they are already far above sustainable numbers. They'll do the same for grizzly's.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
How many more hunters, fishermen & back packers need to get mauled or killed? There has already been enough of them. The Eco freaks will stop at nothing to keep the season closed regardless of who gets hurt. I hunk they should take those trapped bears and drop them off in downtown Edmonton.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

That's the thing, they don't give a flying-you-know-what about human life, just their precious bears/any 4-legged predator.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
you are using far too much logic to understand this whole thing......the season isnt closed because of population numbers....political pressure trumps logic, statistics and reason.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM

Year after year if the adult bears both boars and sows are eating each others cubs, is this a sign of overpopulation in an area because it is happening in k country. Does anyone have access to a report on this.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM

While we are on subject this bear showed up on fathers day at my place behind our house. We live in wmu 320 just in case anyone is wondering. It is the first grizzley we have ever seen in the area my dad included and we have been here for the last 60 years.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Wow you just have to say "grizzly" on here and all the game management experts come out of the wood-work.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

Wow you just have to say "grizzly" on here and all the game management experts come out of the wood-work.

Whats your opinion, while were at it?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

I moved away from Alberta the last year it was open here due to them closing it. I figured I had better move to B.C. if I ever wanted to get one. That was quite a while ago and anyone thinking it will open again here may have to wait quite awhile. I'm back in Alberta but not holding my breath for it to open again. To much politics and misinformation rather than sound management practices in regards to this animal. They could easily harvest a bear or two out of most 400 zones each year I am sure without putting a dent in them. They could also probably raise a pile of money for bear research if they did the whole thing right. Have a few ministers permits or something along those lines.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Didn't realize you had to be an expert to post an opinion or thought on here. Here I thought this was a forum for regular people to discuss things.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM

saw some impressive sign of a grizz today,'bout as far east as you'll find them. i suspect it may have been the one shot at by a hunter a year or two ago.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndsmen View Post
Whats your opinion, while were at it?
My opinion is that quite often people will jump on a topic like this and without a lot of facts make their own assumptions as how to manage grizzlies, antelope, white-tail deer...

In the past I have put forth what I was aware of as the "big picture". I reckon some are actually seeking answers and would understand that but lots don't want to hear anything other than their preconceived notions.

Didn't realize you had to be an expert to post an opinion or thought on here. Here I thought this was a forum for regular people to discuss things.

I didn't say you have to be an expert. And you are right regular people give an opinion and discuss issues. When someone says "It seems to me there are lots of bears and I think there should be a limited season" they are expressing an opinion.

I just looked back through the thread to quote a "statement" that was beyond the realm of an opinion but I don't think I should single anyone out and start an argument with them.

Here is a brief explanation of the way it was explained to me.

1. There are large areas of potential bear habitat that does not have a good bear population (do we want more bears in that habitat?).

2. moving bears does not work to well, most do not stay there or do not live long.

3. There are some areas where there is a good and growing bear populations. (the pressure is there for some of these bears to move out into the areas that "need" more bears)

4. Having a bear hunt in the areas where there are enough or too many bears will crop those bears down but stop the population from moving out into the vacant habitat.

5. there may be some areas where bears may be in conflict with people and we need to address this in a new "Bear Smart" attitude.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Default politics

I have been waiting a while to tell this one and I guess this is the thread. Ten years or so ago I was hired by the Smithsonian in DC to help finish the new Mammal Hall. Walking down the street in Washington we came upon a large demonstration. "End the Alberta Grizzly hunt". I thought it was a joke to demonstrate in east America on an issue thats none of their g-d business. When I got back to the work facility in Newington VA I was relating what I had seen in DC to old Walter S who came out of retirement to help with the project. He looked me straight in the eye and informed me "you just lost your Grizzly hunt". He told me these demonstrators are shopping for politicians with ties to Alberta, energy or otherwise, who will push this matter in return for a major contribution or payoff. He says thats the way of Washington and it always will be. I have heard more since that bolsters this scenario. After all who was the minister at the time it was shut down and what is his reputation?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
K-Country has always had a high bear population...even the grizzly bear recovery team found that. There's no reason at all we couldn't have a few select seasons around the province other than spineless politicians.
I think the answer is to open a general archery only season....no need for draws....

LC
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think the answer is to open a general archery only season....no need for draws....

LC
That' s the ticket for sure. Lol
Why doesn't srd do a real province wide count, not the politically correct one. My dads buddy sent me the pic he took in my avatar at 10 yards , from the lease they were building he was at home watching the equipment working.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignorthernwhitetail View Post
Question: Why do we not have a limited draw season on Grizzly Bears?
FACT:

The Alberta government, along with support from the Y2Y crowd, has implemented a policy of gating access to public land. Industry has been asked to manage the gates, and only Industry is allowed to use the public roadsystems. This is being done under the guise of "Grizzly Bear protection".

If the government was to delist Grizzly bears from threatened status, they would not be able to use this legal clause within the Grizzly Bear Management Plan to keep the public out of public land while Industry carries on behind closed doors.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM

First Rabbits, now Grizzlies, what are the citizens of Canmore to do!!!!
Not like the Rabbits and Grizzlies weren't there first. Get over it live with it or move.
Just my .02 but I'm having one of those days.

If anyone cares I say move them up to the High Prairie area of Alberta. SRD usually requires a 2 day road trip when moving bears.

BW
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM

We were sitting around around the campfire a couple Nights ago and my Brother-in -law informed us of the Grizzly that was spotted in the Kevisville area adjacent the Red Deer river.
Apparently the call was put in and the C.O's have set out the "Bear Catcher" in hopes of rounding it up.

For those that don't know the area ,Kevisville is between Spruceview and Caroline!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
We were sitting around around the campfire a couple Nights ago and my Brother-in -law informed us of the Grizzly that was spotted in the Kevisville area adjacent the Red Deer river.
Apparently the call was put in and the C.O's have set out the "Bear Catcher" in hopes of rounding it up.

For those that don't know the area ,Kevisville is between Spruceview and Caroline!
Geezz, I wonder who is going to clean the oil out of this bears hide???

BW
Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
FACT:

The Alberta government, along with support from the Y2Y crowd, has implemented a policy of gating access to public land. Industry has been asked to manage the gates, and only Industry is allowed to use the public roadsystems. This is being done under the guise of "Grizzly Bear protection".

If the government was to delist Grizzly bears from threatened status, they would not be able to use this legal clause within the Grizzly Bear Management Plan to keep the public out of public land while Industry carries on behind closed doors.
Sure nice to get a FACT: and not just an OPINION: now we all KNOW the TRUTH.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Sure nice to get a FACT: and not just an OPINION: now we all KNOW the TRUTH.
Gonna Prove me wrong?