Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Non-resident Draws

I am sure this has been discussed before but it's tough to search for specific answers.

Why do non-residents have to apply with a resident for draws? I understand the need for a hunter host but why do we have to submit one application.

I could have 9 tags in my pocket, why does my Dad I have to submit for the draw with me? When I host my Dad we hunt together so if we come across a Mulie for harvest, ofcourse my dad gets the shot. I have numerous other tags in my pocket and pay for the hunter host, why can't I use my draw in another year. I year when I am not focused on getting my Dad an animal?

And yes I do appreciate that I might be fortunate just to have the opportunity just to host a non-resident.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM

I suggest that you contact SRD, and ask them for their reasoning. My own take on it, is that they want non residents to be able to hunt with friends or relatives that are Alberta residents, and the system in place works just fine for that.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM
sheephunter

Think you missed the point of his question elk. To thr OP I've often wondered the same thing. And the weird Part is that thay don't need to be hosted by the person they drew with. In many ways it would be easier if they could just apply on their own like they can for sheep and then find a host when the time comes. But I guess it does keep the number of applicants down.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Think you missed the point of his question elk. To thr OP I've often wondered the same thing. And the weird Part is that thay don't need to be hosted by the person they drew with. In many ways it would be easier if they could just apply on their own like they can for sheep and then find a host when the time comes. But I guess it does keep the number of applicants down.
Bored at work so I did call SRD. The person I spoke with didn't have an answer but he is asking around.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Think you missed the point of his question elk.
Let me expand on my answer, with one possible interpretation, that may or may not be what SRD is thinking. It is possible that SRD only wants people to be able to hunt with friends or relatives, and wants to reduce the possibility that non residents will draw tags on their own, and then if they don't have Alberta resident friends or relatives, will pay an Alberta resident to act as their host.